SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Snap Tape for Baby Clothes ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Snap Tape for Baby Clothes
Metal or Plastic?
ReneeSews
star
ReneeSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 6/26/05
Send Message

Date: 11/17/05 5:33 PM

I am looking for input from anyone who has worked with this in sewing and/or using. Any tips/tricks? And which one would you recommend for long term/easy use the plastic or metal snaps? I had asked this in a previous topic but it was buried so I made it its very own.

------
Bad Seamstress Blues/Fallin' Apart At The Seams - Cinderella
(The Band not the Princess)

I don't make mistakes, I have learning experiences!

sosoatsewing
star
sosoatsewing
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 9/22/04
Send Message

In reply to ReneeSews

Date: 11/18/05 0:41 AM

Renee

I think I would use snaps from Snapsource if you are going to be making lots of clothing for the new grandbabe. My niece (more like a daughter since I raised her) had a baby in March, and when I started to make some things up I was horrifed at the cost of snap tape. At Joann's it was about $6 for a package containing 18" of tape. Then I found out 18" of tape isnt even enough for a medium size outfit.. I have seen rolls of it online, 50yds I think, but it was horribly expensive. Another idea would be to make your own snap tape from twill tape and snaps...someone from PR gave me that suggestion, but I can't remember who to credit it to...

If you do go with the tape I have heard a zipper foot is quite handy.
-- Edited on 11/18/05 1:42 AM --

------
Brother CE-500PRW, Singer 347,Singer 413, Singer 66, Singer 404, Singer 4622, Electrogrand,
Kenmore 158.17570, Kenmore 158.10400,
Viking Huskylock 901.... and several others

A seam a day
Keeps the blues away

JDpenelope
starstar
JDpenelope  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 5:15 AM

I have used both Snapsource and plastic snap tape from JoAnn's, but my experience with both notions is somewhat limited. I struggled with Snapsource, but that's because I was using it on multiple layers of corduroy for a girl's jumper. Not recommended!

I liked the snap tape, also... maybe better.

Here's a review of Snap Source snap setter Be sure to read the comments.

Didn't see the snap tape reviewed.

------
aka Joanne. (Penelope was our cat. RIP.)
"What mother nature gives, father time takes away."
Yahoo group: Sewing-with-Industrial-Machines

ReneeSews
star
ReneeSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 6/26/05
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 7:32 AM

My DM picked me up 5yds of the metal snap tape at JoAnn's for $4.99 @ yard. I have used the hammer type snaps for years, just recently started using the hammer grommet setter also. I have the hand tool also for doing different size snaps/grommets but haven't used it but a couple of times. I had actually forgotten about having that.

Thank you soso for the tip on using a zipper foot attachment, sounds like a smart way to go. I did also check out snapsource to see what they had. Thank you also penelope for the link, looks as if everyone likes that type of setter. Didn't see any complaints.

------
Bad Seamstress Blues/Fallin' Apart At The Seams - Cinderella
(The Band not the Princess)

I don't make mistakes, I have learning experiences!

sosoatsewing
star
sosoatsewing
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 9/22/04
Send Message

In reply to ReneeSews

Date: 11/18/05 8:54 AM

Thats a great price on the tape Renee...My local Joann's only sells the Dritz stuff in the paackages, I would have been so happy If I had been able to find snap tape by the yard locally. That makes it much more affordable.

------
Brother CE-500PRW, Singer 347,Singer 413, Singer 66, Singer 404, Singer 4622, Electrogrand,
Kenmore 158.17570, Kenmore 158.10400,
Viking Huskylock 901.... and several others

A seam a day
Keeps the blues away

Mary Stiefer
starstarstarstar
Mary Stiefer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/17/03
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 9:01 AM

I also have used SnapSource and it works great. So - I concur with the rest. I prefer this over snap tape. I bought (through SnapSource) the snaps with the extra long prongs for a snow suit outfit for my littlest granddaughter and had no problems with the snap setter.

------
What is Maxine saying??
"I don't iron. If I'm not wrinkle-free why should my clothes be."

BeckyW
star
BeckyW
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 5/23/04
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 9:10 AM

Personally, I lean to snap tape over the individual snaps you use a tool to clamp on. I had one nightmare with this and never tried again. Mine was an old version my mother had. I can't speak for what is out there today.

As for plastic vs. metal, I prefer metal. I made one outfit with the plastic snaps. I hit one of the plastic snaps with the hot iron and melted it.

------
Becky

Lorna C. Newman
starstarstar
Lorna C. Newman
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 8/10/02
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 1:41 PM

I used the snap tape for my kids when they were wee on their jammies. Using a zipper foot was the only way to get it on easily. I used the plastic one and regret it. Washing all the kids clothes in hot water and then putting them in the dryer caused some of the snaps to warp/melt. Go for the metal!

------
Like Miss Frizzle says "Take chances, make mistakes ..." isn't that what fitting is all about? I am happily taking chances and making mistakes as I fit muslin after muslin ...
newmansneedle.blogspot.com

Ogailf
Ogailf
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 9/29/13
Send Message

Date: 9/29/13 6:59 PM

I personally like the snap tape and think the snaps hold better than the individual ones. Right now I'm trying to figure out what size of snaps are used on onesies. The tape I have found is too small to match up with the snaps already there.

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 9/29/13 7:22 PM

When I sew for babies I use plastic snaps, because many babies get a reaction to metal, (if it touches their skin) leaving marks... Maybe a ph thing :)
-- Edited on 9/29/13 7:23 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Snap Tape for Baby Clothes

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable 122a

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Buy Now
Katy Bags

Katy Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.