SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Irish Walking Cape ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Irish Walking Cape
help me find a pattern
Hobby Hopeful
Hobby Hopeful
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/05 9:59 PM

I **MUST** have a pattern for this cape.

I've googled like crazy and can't find a pattern, just actual capes for sale. I really don't want to spend $200 on the cape to trace it off. Has anyone seen a pattern for this? It's beautiful. Irish Walking Cape
-- Edited on 11/17/05 11:04 PM --

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/17/05 10:20 PM

I'd morph these two patterns together while adding length overall.

That way you'd have the curved edge with a hood & tie

collar from view B

view C of this

------
Sydney, Australia

MaryLynn in Long Beach
star
MaryLynn in Long Beach
California USA
Member since 7/2/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/05 11:00 PM

Swing coat w/scarf

Cape 1

Irish Coat

I love this cape.

------
Mary Lynn (Who's finally sitting up and taking nourishment)

Design Degree??? I prefer my artistic license

"A woman who works with her hands is a laborer; a woman who works with her hands and her mind is a craftsman; but a woman who works with her hands and her brain and her heart is an artist." (St. Thomas Aquinas, modified)

sewdance
sewdance  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Michigan USA
Member since 10/18/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/05 11:19 PM

Folkwear Patterns also has a Kinsale Cloak
#207.

Lorna C. Newman
starstarstar
Lorna C. Newman
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 8/10/02
Send Message

In reply to Hobby Hopeful

Date: 11/18/05 7:32 AM

OH WOW! I fell inlove with a cape like this years ago when travelling ... I did not have the $$ to buy it but saved faithfully and then returned ... to find the store closed. This is definitely something I would love to figure out as well!

What about starting with the cape in this Nov's WOF and then adding a huge scarf to it? The one I tried on, way back when in Kingston, the scarf was very wide and had no extra shaping to it. The WOF cape is not double breasted, so we would have to add to the fronts to convert it, but I think it would still work ...
-- Edited on 11/18/05 8:36 AM --

------
Like Miss Frizzle says "Take chances, make mistakes ..." isn't that what fitting is all about? I am happily taking chances and making mistakes as I fit muslin after muslin ...
newmansneedle.blogspot.com

kethry
star
kethry
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/23/03
Send Message

In reply to Hobby Hopeful

Date: 11/18/05 8:56 AM

I was just browsing through the Butterick Catalog (they are on sale this weekend at hancock's) and I found this one: Butterick Cape Pattern
It already has the scarf and everything. I don't know if you will want it that thick - but it is definitely almost the exact thing you are looking for.

For 99 cents, it can't be beat, and no tracing required!
If you would like, I could get it for you. PM me and we can work something out.

Hobby Hopeful
Hobby Hopeful
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 10:39 AM

wow, thanks all! Lots of options I couldn't find. I'll have to drool over these some more, but I think the Butterick may be the closest. Thanks for the offer, Kethry, but I can get it here in Calgary for $2.59 CAD - so probably less than shipping.

And now for some melton wool from MacPhee Workshop - I'm very excited.

Lorna, I'd be interested on working on this project "with" you - I don't have the WOF but am going hunting for it.

Thanks also for the Islander pattern links - I don't know their stuff well, I'll have a closer look.

The Kinsale cloak didn't seem the same to me - more full length instead of tapered at the sleeve lenght. But it's an interesting option for another project.

I'll have a closer look at these tonight, now back to work (bad girl - checking PR from my cubicle). Thanks again to everybody.

TarheelSewer

TarheelSewer
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/23/03
Send Message

Date: 11/18/05 10:56 AM

Islander has a pattern for the Celtic Kiscade Cape. They're available at the Sewing Place.

zinna
zinna
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 8/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Lorna C. Newman

Date: 11/18/05 11:24 AM

Hello HH - I have an Irish Cape which I bought on a trip to Ireland. After looking at all the patterns suggested, I think the Butterick 3642, view A, is the closest to my cape, with these changes:
mine has two buttons at the neck, not in line at the CF but on either side to accomodate the overlap at center front. One button is hidden on the underside, and the other shows and is buttoned with a fabric loop.
there is a seam sewn on a slant from the side fairly low and then upward to simulate a sleeve. this is great because it helps to maintain the shape of the garment while wearing it.
i tried on the kinsale cloak, and it is absolutely overwhelming - too much fabric.
i trust i've been sufficiently confusing - i've tried my best to describe it. i've also traced off my cloak and made it twice for gifts, once with just the scarf, and once with the hood, using malden mills fleece. i actually prefer the scarf, since the hood messes up the"do"and makes me look like a medieval monk, and the scarf can be pulled up over the ears if you make it wide enough.
good luck with your project.

Lorna C. Newman
starstarstar
Lorna C. Newman
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 8/10/02
Send Message

In reply to zinna

Date: 11/18/05 12:39 PM

You would not be up to tracing off copies of the pattern, would you? I'd pay postage ...

------
Like Miss Frizzle says "Take chances, make mistakes ..." isn't that what fitting is all about? I am happily taking chances and making mistakes as I fit muslin after muslin ...
newmansneedle.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Irish Walking Cape

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Vogue Patterns 1164 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2012-10

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.