SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Sway back adjustment

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sway back adjustment
how much is too much?
sewnlove

sewnlove
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

Date: 12/12/05 7:32 PM

I am trying to make Burda 3197, the close fitting T-shirt. I have made so many muslins, I've lost count! I never knew I had a sway back until this project, where I have lots of fabric puddling across the small of my back. I need to dart out almost an inch. Am I way off, or should this be a tiny 1/4 inch dart.? I am using size 12, and I am tall, 5ft 8in. This has been the most frustrating thing!

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 12/12/05 7:47 PM

You should remove as much as you need to get rid of the excess fabric. The more fitted the garment the more you'll have to remove.

sewnlove

sewnlove
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

Date: 12/13/05 5:44 AM

Thank you ,Gigi, for holding my hand. I've never done this adjustment before, and wasn't sure if I was going overboard. In reading past posts, it seems others have had this sudden enlightenment regarding this t shirt and the sway back issue. I guess I've been wearing my clothes too baggy.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/13/05 6:06 AM

I am very short-waisted and have to remove anywhere from 5/8 to 7/8" from the back right above the waist.

Taking out an amount in this range has made my tops and jackets look so much better in the back.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

beangirl
star
beangirl
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/05
Send Message

Date: 12/13/05 7:00 AM

OK, so since this thread is up I do have a general question about "swayback"... I've read about it in lots of alteration books, but I still don't really understand what it is. Or rather, I think I do, but I don't know how to recognize it. Is there a difference between swayback and Big Booty (I would think so, but I just don't know). What exactly would determine a sway back?

------
kristine

quote of the day:

"People all over the world, join in -- on the Love Train, Love Train..." ~the O'Jays

Nickle
star
Nickle
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 10/31/04
Send Message

Date: 12/13/05 11:32 AM

It is lordosis (extreme inward or downward curve of the spine).
People with swayback can have varying degrees of it. On some people its very noticeable and can surely affect how clothes fit. It can make your "Booty" look like it sticking out more.

------
Penny

Fabric Mart Bundle Fabric sewn- 10.5 yds

Nata
star
Nata
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/20/02
Send Message

Date: 12/13/05 11:47 AM

I am 5'3" ans I have sway back. Here is how I determined how much I need to pinch out for my sway back. I have measured my front length (starting from the point where shoulder connects to your neck, through high bust and to the tape tied around your waist). Then I measure my back length (from top vertebra to the waist tape). I have determined that my front measurement is 3.5cm shorter than the one in the size chart. My back measurement, however, was 5 cm shorter that the chart measurement. So, I figured (duh) I have a sway back and need to make 1.5cm sway back alteration. It worked, too

Sorry for metric examples, method will be the same tho. I don't know how to determine "large" bootie easily. The only thing I can think of is measuring the hip, then taking front hip and back hip width and comparing them to the chart. That way I'd know if I am proportionately larger all the way around, or just in the back partGood luck

------
Fabric bought in 2009: 30 yds
Fabrc sewn in 2009: 19 yds
Fabric stash: 145 yds

3 Garments IN and 6 Garments OUT

Kerry O
star
Kerry O
Intermediate
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 12/13/05 12:22 PM

Does anyone have a picture of a swayback? I am wondering if I have one and that is why I have a bunch of fabric at the back of my waistband. I always thought it was because I had big hips and a small(er) waist (proportionately).

------
*kerry in va*
\"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.\" --Margaret Mead

ladybegood
starstar
ladybegood  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Kerry O

Date: 12/13/05 12:49 PM

The big hips small waist can pretty much cause the same problem as a sway back, and it can be approached with the same alteration. I've never done the pinching method from FFRP because I have to fit myself, but I like the one where you draw you center back seam narrower at the waist. Els put up a link to a visual example of this. Check out her comments in this thread.

------
"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." Albert Einstein.
No wonder I just keep getting more and more creative!

Nickle
star
Nickle
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 10/31/04
Send Message

In reply to Kerry O

Date: 12/13/05 1:06 PM

Heres a link to a pic of swayback.

http://health.allrefer.com/health/lordosis-lordosis.html

------
Penny

Fabric Mart Bundle Fabric sewn- 10.5 yds

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Sway back adjustment

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Jean Hardy 630

photo
by: MaryDB

Review
Other Lily Bird Studio

photo
by: PostMuse

Review
9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.