Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Drafting pants

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Drafting pants
Crotch curves
Dale C
starstarstar
Dale C  Friend of PR
Advanced
HI USA
Member since 8/24/02
Login to reply to this post

Date: 3/8/03 3:21 PM

:) Hello all,
I recall a discussion some time ago regarding using a flexible ruler for the drawing an accurate crotch curve. Supposedly, you shape the ruler to your own body curves and transfer that curve to the pattern.  I tried it recently and found it didn't work.  
What I found did work well, was to use the flexi-ruler to copy a crotch curve on a pair of old favorite jeans, then transfer it to my draft.  I often keep old clothing that I still like and use it to copy sections from.  I've never thought to use the flexi rule for much (except dart curves), but I'm finding it most useful now.
Has anyone actually had success with the "flexi-rule crotch curve" technique?  How did you make it work?
Dale

------
"ACK! I'm having withdrawals! Get me to a sewing machine... NOW!"

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 7/30/02

Date: 3/8/03 3:55 PM

Dale, what a great idea!

I tried using the flexicurve on my body to check a curve, and it definitely did not work for me.  I couldn't hold the curve & form it properly.  Perhaps if I had someone else forming it & I just stood there, but I like your suggestion of using an existing pair of pants much better.  

Anne, who still has not gotten around to making a pair of pants but will have to soon since her knee is poking out of her sweatpants

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02

Date: 3/8/03 8:48 PM

I have used the flexible ruler and I do find it helpful. But I don't really use it to draw pattern lines. I just use it as a general guide, placing it on top of the pattern to help me visualize how the clothes will drape on my body. For example, on a hip curve, the top part will match the pattern closely, but you also have to account for curves created by the darts. And I would not want the pants pattern to follow my own hip curve all the way down the thigh either.

For crotch curves, I did use the flexible ruler once, to figure out how much I needed to "scoop". But I agree, you can't really use it to draw your pattern lines. Maybe just the very bottom part of the crotch curve. (?)

On my most recent pant sloper, I copied the crotch curve from my favorite RTW pants from the Gap store. Which, by the way, is almost identical to the Burda crotch curve.

I recently used the flexible ruler to create a home-made "vary curve." I shaped it to the hip curve of a pants pattern I like, then smoothed it  VERY carefully before tracing the curve onto a piece of quilting template plastic. Then I very carefully cut it out. I'm happy with the result (though I do plan to buy a real vary curve sometime soon).

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 4/8/02

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 3/9/03 4:01 PM

I tried that Flexi-rule idea, too.  Not only did it lack accuracy, I was downright dismayed to see its outline of my abdomen. :(
I like the idea of using it to transfer the crotch curve from RTW much better.  You are 1) using a crotch curve that you are certain works, and 2) you are not forced to confront a reality that you have worked hard to deny.  ;)

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Loreli
star
Loreli
Intermediate
YT GERMANY
Member since 11/10/02

Date: 3/10/03 0:59 AM

Dale I also used the flexiruler for the crotchseam and although the pattern looked very akward, the pants was hanging perfect in the back. It is like Betty say to use it only for the rounded part down. About an inch after the rounding I went straight  up and after fitting it to my body took in some of the with at the back after the rounding. You must ofcourse give the form that you take from the flexiruler seamallowances. It should be a flexiruler that keeps the form till you copy it on paper. After using the Burda oneseam pants with a perfect ctotch for my body I copy all pants that I sew now from this oneseam pants because the pattern witch was made from the flexiruler does look funny.

Dale C
starstarstar
Dale C  Friend of PR
Advanced
HI USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 3/10/03 2:14 PM

The upper part of the curve, where the waist is and there are darts, isn't the area you trace. Mine looked really awkward because of that.  But the lower area still looked a bit odd, so I scrapped that idea.  When I sewed the muslin, it kinda was droopy and wide.  I'm not sure if I did it wrong, but when I did the copy of the jeans I liked, it came out a bit tighter and got rid of that droopiness.  
Loreli, I agree.  Once you've found a good curve, it's easy enough to make a template and transfer it so other pants you make fit well.  I was just hoping the flexiruler would be a good way to find the curve with clientele.  It seems easier to ask them to shape it to their body than to have them keep trying on a pair till you get it just right.  Sometimes, they don't have a decent fitting pair of pants to copy the curve off of so this would've been a good solution... if it worked.
Dale

------
"ACK! I'm having withdrawals! Get me to a sewing machine... NOW!"

Ashford
star
Ashford
Advanced Beginner
TX USA
Member since 5/14/10

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/7/13 12:10 PM

I liked the logic about drafting the pant pattern in this blog article.

1. start with a pencil skirt draft to get the correct fit at waist and hip

2. how to convert the skirt pattern to a pant pattern

3. how to convert the pant pattern to a jean pattern

===============
Blog: The Sewing Corner
Author: Sabrina Wharton-Brown
Article: How to Draft Stereo-butt/Non-mono-butt Jeans
Date: Friday, 28 December 2012
===============

------
Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly. ~Epictetus

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to Ashford <<

Date: 10/7/13 8:41 PM

That is an excellent article! I think I'll bookmark it.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Baja Susana
star
Baja Susana  Friend of PR
Advanced
MEXICO
Member since 7/13/08

Date: 10/7/13 10:15 PM

During the mini wardrobe contest, I made two,pencil skirts that were also wrap. They fit so perfectly I wondered how to make them into pants...now I know.
thanks Ashford for this!

------
Baja Susana
www.susansewsdaily.blogspot.com
Sewing on the beach, what could be better?

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/8/13 9:11 AM

I couldn't get past this part

Quote:
To take this measurement with ease included, side on a hard flat surface in your tights/pantyhose and take the measurement from your side waist, over the curve of your hip, down to the surface.

You will laugh, but I own neither tights nor pantyhose Is there some reason this is important? Or is it just for smoothing? I gave up trying to find any that fit around my derriere that didn't have four extra inches of length bagging around my ankles

When I used to live in a cold climate, I used to wear pantyhose under my pants, especially in winter. Can't imagine doing that in Houston. Getting hot flashes just thinking about it

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Drafting pants

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Online Sewing Classes
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2007-107 107 Top
photo
Review by Seaspur on 5/2/07
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Suzi Purse Insert
Suzi Purse Insert

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver S School Days Jacket & Coat Digital Pattern( Size 4-8 )
Oliver   S School Days Jacket & Coat Digital Pattern( Size 4-8 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simple Things Cozy Cap Digital Pattern (003)
Simple Things Cozy Cap Digital Pattern (003)

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns 1021 Hazel
photo
Review by laurenc0re on 8/7/12
Read Review

Simplicity 3750 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
Simplicity 3750 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6105 Pattern ( Size )
McCalls 6105 Pattern ( Size  )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN