SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Second hand Bernina Sewing Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Second hand Bernina Sewing Machine
Juli_et

Juli_et
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 9/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/3/06 10:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I already have a 35 years old Omega machine and I am looking for another good mechanical one. I found a Bernina Sewing Machine (sorry for the French). It is 250$ CAD. I've called and I am going to see it tonight. The person who owned the machine passed away and her daughter is selling it. She could not tell me a lot about the machine. She thinks it is about 20 years old, it works but haven't been used for a long time. She told me I can try it. I don't see a lot of Bernina in classifieds. Since it is an old one, I guess it is Swiss made so that can be interesting. What do you think?

Julie

------
Omega (bought in 1970 by my grand-mother)
Kenmore 1914
Bernina 830, 910, 930
Singer 1912 Hand Crank
Pfaff Coverstitch 4772

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 2/3/06 10:33 AM

It looks like a 530 but I can't be sure. That would make it quite a lot older than 20 years. I love Berninas but getting parts for the older models can be a problem now. A few years ago there was a mudslide in the Steckborn warehouse and all of the old parts were lost. I even had trouble getting parts for my 830 which is from the 80s. Just something to keep in mind.

Juli_et

Juli_et
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 9/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/3/06 11:15 AM

Thanks Gigi. Problems to get parts...that's a good point. I have the feeling if it is in good condition I won't need parts for a long time. It is usually all metal so I should not expect breaking parts???

------
Omega (bought in 1970 by my grand-mother)
Kenmore 1914
Bernina 830, 910, 930
Singer 1912 Hand Crank
Pfaff Coverstitch 4772

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
WI USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/3/06 11:20 AM

I sent the link to Dave Neuenschwander who is a Bernina expert, and rcvd the following reply:

"Hi Bill,

Appears to be a Bernina model 614, which is a machine manufactured for Bernina by a sewing machine company in Portugal.

Dave"

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 2/3/06 1:52 PM

Bill to the rescue once again! I learned something new today - thank you!

MareeAlison
star
MareeAlison
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/6/05
Send Message

In reply to Juli_et

Date: 2/4/06 2:04 AM

I recently sold my 30 year old Bernina to upgrade to a new one and that was in the 800 series. This machine looks a whole lot older than mine and I notice it's now been identified. Everyone swears by the 830 which was a mechanical one and they are often on Ebay. I think mine was an 817 and it was still very good and going well. I suppose I'd wonder if you really need such an old machine.

------
Maree - Sydney, Australia

Stitchology

Stitchology
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 1/26/03
Send Message

Date: 2/4/06 9:39 AM

Quote:
A few years ago there was a mudslide in the Steckborn warehouse and all of the old parts were lost.

You learn the most esoteric sewing related stuff on PR.

------
Buy the best and you only cry once.

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 2/4/06 5:28 PM

I believe we had a thread going sometime back about replacement parts for older Bernina's and Elna's and the 705B needle system is no longer being produced once supplies are gone. Like if a motor or a hook needs replacing now a tech can install a newer version of the part to help solve this problem while some adjustments to the machine might have to be made to do so. My Bernina dealer sent out a flyer concerning this back in April. The article mentioned using 130/705H needles in these older models even though it was not the system the machines were designed to use but the article said these needles would work up to size 90 without damaging the machine. This article also suggested to update the hook system on these older models like the 730 and 830 Record. I have never owned a Bernina but I did find this article interesting.

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
WI USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 2/4/06 6:20 PM

There is absolutely no reason not to use a 705H in the older Berninas. This was a myth that has been perpetuated, and originated because somebody at the Bernina factory "a million years ago" decided that the H on Schmetz's new style 705 needle, stood for Husqvarna. OTOH, there is a very good reason not to use a 705B (if you happened to have one) in a machine that was adjusted for the 705H, as the hook could touch where the scarf should be. It also doesn't matter about the size of the needle, because the needle only "grows" away from the hook.

I have PDF documents that I have prepared that explain most of this about the needles, and another about the different types of hooks, that I am happy to supply as attachments to an e-mail reply to your request, as long as the request includes your actual name and not an alias.

Bill Holman

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 2/4/06 6:24 PM

I always used 705H needles in my 830.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Second hand Bernina Sewing Machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Buy Now
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 16-24(Cup B-DD) )

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-104B

photo
by: Pinkytoo

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.