SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > t-shirt variations based on minor pattern changes

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
t-shirt variations based on minor pattern changes
is there a book on this?
hnjmom

hnjmom
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/25/06 5:45 PM

I saw on another sewing site a class that helps you perfect a basic t-shirt and then teaches you like 15 variations on that basic pattern. It even gave an example:

http://www.seeitsewit.com/store/stores_app/Samples/nyot_sample.pdf

Unfortunately, I am starting a new at home job and I don't have the time to take an online class. Does anyone know of a book that covers this topic?? I really like the idea of perfecting a tee and then using variations of the same pattern.

------
*Robin
wife to J (10 years)
mom of five children: 8 years and younger
who wonders why she doesn't have time to sew.

Sew'n'go
star
Sew'n'go
Intermediate
Nova Scotia CANADA
Member since 3/5/04
Send Message

Date: 2/25/06 6:09 PM

I would just like to have a good fitting t-shirt pattern....
Victoria

ndesimon
star
ndesimon
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 5/9/03
Send Message

In reply to hnjmom

Date: 2/25/06 6:28 PM

I've spotted a few books recently: Elissa from SewFastSewEasy recently put out Rip It, which shows how to transform all sorts of clothes, including a chapter on t-shirts. Also take a peek at Generation T

hth,
Nancy

BeckyC
star
BeckyC  Friend of PR
Advanced
Minnesota USA
Member since 5/8/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/25/06 8:18 PM

"Necklines" is a book published by Stretch and Sew in the early 90's about neckline changes in t-shirts and simple blouses. It came with a master pattern and templates on how to change the neckline. It is a great book that will give you many, many looks. I think it's out of print, but found it on here on e-bay. If you're interested in it, make sure the book has all the master patterns in it. If it doesn't it could just be a good reference book on techniques.

If you're not interested in buying from e-bay do a search with the author's name, Ann Person plus Neckline and maybe there are other options out there.

Edited again to spell out the word 'plus'
-- Edited on 2/25/06 8:19 PM --
-- Edited on 2/25/06 8:19 PM --

------
I feed my soul by the stitches I sew.

beangirl
star
beangirl
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/05
Send Message

Date: 2/25/06 9:14 PM

I've actually tried that cowlline alteration on another pattern and it works great! Wish I could do this class too, but thanks for the info!! :)

------
kristine

quote of the day:

"People all over the world, join in -- on the Love Train, Love Train..." ~the O'Jays

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 2/25/06 10:53 PM

Shirley Adams has a pattern on this idea. I saw the samples at the Fall Fair and they were amazing. It doesn't look nearly as amazing on the line drawings though.

Shirley Adams surface embelishments

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

hnjmom

hnjmom
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/26/06 8:47 AM

The Shirley Adam's structural changes looks similar to what I was looking for. Has anyone tried these? I didn't see any reviews?

------
*Robin
wife to J (10 years)

NoraNora

NoraNora
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 11/3/03
Send Message

In reply to hnjmom

Date: 2/26/06 11:13 AM

There was a discussion recently about this very pattern!
Here's the link.

HTH,
Nora

edited cuz my link was wrong.

-- Edited on 2/26/06 11:16 AM --

hnjmom

hnjmom
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/29/04
Send Message

Date: 2/26/06 9:56 PM

I found the OOP book Make It Your Own by Lori Bottom. Does anyone have this? Is this similar to the class that I was talking about?

------
*Robin
wife to J (10 years)

Kaykrazy
Kaykrazy
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 6/14/03
Send Message

Date: 3/23/13 2:02 PM

I realize the last post in this topic was quite a while ago but I thought I'd add to it. I use Pamela's patterns perfect T for my TNT. I purchase her neckline variations but I am fiending for more! I also purchased FiT Nice DVDs with pdf instructions for modifying the basic t-shirt. I believe Judy has 4 dvds out. I also scour the internet for tutorials on how to modify basic shirts including Debi Cook's tutorial for a Coldwater Creek knock off. How many of these variations have I actually sewed? None. Yes that is right ...none. I just can't seem to get away from the computer and actually sew.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> t-shirt variations based on minor pattern changes

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

More Info
Vogue Patterns 1207

photo
by: ak21

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.