SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Question about customizing a pre-made dress form ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question about customizing a pre-made dress form
Yes, I know there are lots of threads but I couldn't find the answer
beangirl
star
beangirl
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/05
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 2:34 PM

and I just got tired of looking (I was starting to get depressed about the whole thing).

My DTD and I are having some ongoing issues that I'm afraid may have to end in divorce. One big issue is stability, it seems to me that it's starting to sag under it's own weight on the stand, but I couldn't come up with any better methods of standing it. Now granted, my hips probably are getting wider and wider at the bottom under my own weight, but I really am getting annoyed with the DTD for doing it too.

My solution is to maybe buy a not-too-expensive premade form (probably Dritz size large?) and then pad it to fit my own shape. However, my shoudler area is my big fitting problem and I'm not sure I can pad a dressform accurately enough to make it worthwhile.

So here's my question (finally): Has anyone padded a pre-made dress form to fit their rounded upper back and narrow sloping shoulders and if so, how is it working out? And how did you do it?

(Are the shoulders adjustable on the Dritz forms-- or any other forms? Like, can the slope and width be adjusted?)

Ok folks, thanks in advance....

------
kristine

quote of the day:

"People all over the world, join in -- on the Love Train, Love Train..." ~the O'Jays

Nata
star
Nata
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/20/02
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 3:20 PM

Kristine, I don't think large will work for you if your shoulders are very narrow. You might need to start with med or small, and then add a lot of padding - it souds like you'll have hard time getting accurate results.

Also, you are petite, and the dressform you are thinking about does not adjust in height, so the waist and bust lines will not match yours - I know my don't.

Also, shoulder slope does not adjust. I used my mostly as a hangeruntill I sold it. I also made DTD an paper tape double, and did not like either one of those. I also bought the whatever-it-was-called one that comes with padding, and it did not work because of my narrow shoulders. Ribcage on the dressform was so much wider and thicker than my, even though my bust measurement matched the dressform. I had to let that one go, too.

I think it's possible to pad the dressform in theory, however on practice it might proove to be too much work.

------
Fabric bought in 2009: 30 yds
Fabrc sewn in 2009: 19 yds
Fabric stash: 145 yds

3 Garments IN and 6 Garments OUT

seKimberlyso
star
seKimberlyso
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 5/7/04
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 3:38 PM

I have a Twinfit I bought at Hancocks online. Its got 3 adjustment dials on the back, 2 each on the sides and 3 down the front, adjustable for height. (The larger size has even more dials.) I then put an old bra on it measured where to put it lengthwise and padded it. I have it to my measurements. I like the fact I can enlarge it where I am larger, broader back then front or less size in the side hips, but a bit more in the front for a tummy without increasing another area. I love mine. When I do use it I think to myself I should make more use of this.

------
Kimberly

Nata
star
Nata
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/20/02
Send Message

In reply to seKimberlyso

Date: 3/3/06 3:43 PM

I got my at Joann's, it was My Double and it was maroon color. Yours must be of a better quality

------
Fabric bought in 2009: 30 yds
Fabrc sewn in 2009: 19 yds
Fabric stash: 145 yds

3 Garments IN and 6 Garments OUT

seKimberlyso
star
seKimberlyso
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 5/7/04
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 3:46 PM

Yeah, it is different. That's why I didn't get the other I had heard complaints. Here is a link to someones review of Twin-fit. I waited for a sale. I think I paid 119.Review

------
Kimberly

beangirl
star
beangirl
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/05
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 3:50 PM

Ok, Nata the thing about being small-boned as it were was bothering me too. I like your idea of buying a medium and then padding away at the larger parts of me (basically from the waist down It's like I'm two bodies spliced together, it's quite annoying).

I'm back to research more on the variations in the My Doubles and Twinfits. I just can't afford a Uniquely yours or anything like that (I can't really afford the others, but at half the cost it's much more workable ). Thanks for the input.

------
kristine

quote of the day:

"People all over the world, join in -- on the Love Train, Love Train..." ~the O'Jays

PhyllisC
starstarstarstar
PhyllisC
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 8/2/02
Send Message

In reply to beangirl

Date: 3/3/06 4:24 PM

A while back Sherrill Miller posted a photo of herself in her moulage (she used Kenneth's King's CD-Book) and it had a full-length zipper down the back. A moulage is normally used make a body block and is used to draft patterns, but Sherill sewed it together and added a zipper because she was seeking input on the fit (which was excellent by the way.)

Georgene suggested that she could also use it to pad put a dress form, which I thought was a brilliant idea because a moulage is intended is a neck to hip block with no ease. So padding it out onto dress from should give you a pretty accurate body double that you could use over a Dritz form.

If I were doing it myself I'd probably pad it with a combination of foam rubber and quilt batting. I think you could cut and shave 1-2 inch foam rubber to make basic shapes and then add batting on top. Iíll bet you could use a cheap electric razor to shave & shape the foam after you cut it with a knife or scissors.

Phyllis

------
Sewing = Fashion
http://coudremode.com/

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

beangirl
star
beangirl
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/05
Send Message

Date: 3/3/06 4:27 PM

OK, here's another question. The Twinfit on Dritz's website doesn't say it has an adjustable back length, however the MyDouble Deluxe does (but costs more). I only need a long back length because of my rounded upper back (17") and the Twinfit is 16". I figure about 1" for the RUB, so I would make that up in padding...? Because then I can probably do with the Twinfit, as the rest of the proportions are good for me (on paper anyway).

------
kristine

quote of the day:

LCT56
LCT56
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/16/05
Send Message

In reply to beangirl

Date: 3/3/06 4:35 PM

This is just a small enabler alert. My Hancock's is having a sale Saturday 3/4, and the flyer says everything in the store is at least 10% off. It didn't have the usual exclusions which always seem to include dress forms. I hope I can get one tomorrow, and then the fun begins trying to shape "her" into a shape I don't really want to duplicate--but then what's the point? I am a plus size with narrow, sloping shoulders combined with a large bust. I guess I also need to pick up a large quantity of batting for padding!

MaryLynn in Long Beach
star
MaryLynn in Long Beach
California USA
Member since 7/2/04
Send Message

In reply to PhyllisC

Date: 3/3/06 4:46 PM

the best tool for cutting and shaving foam is an electric carving knife.

------
Mary Lynn (Who's finally sitting up and taking nourishment)

Design Degree??? I prefer my artistic license

"A woman who works with her hands is a laborer; a woman who works with her hands and her mind is a craftsman; but a woman who works with her hands and her brain and her heart is an artist." (St. Thomas Aquinas, modified)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Question about customizing a pre-made dress form

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

KnipMode Magazine 04-2011-8

photo
by: treefrog

Review
Vogue Patterns 1324

photo
by: SewRuth

Review
You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.