SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > reusing patterns ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
reusing patterns
scrapper
scrapper
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 7/17/06
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 10:41 AM

I have a question. Is there any realistic way to reuse patterns? I have two girls and I love sewing for them. Right now I cut the larger size first and then the smaller size. But, then I won't be able to use it larger again. And I'm expecting again. ONce I traced the whole pattern on the material with my wax paper and tracing wheel. (Actually my hubby did that!) any ideas?

Ruth C
star
Ruth C  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/27/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/11/06 10:48 AM

This is why alot of people trace the pattern on to other paper before cutting the pattern pieces out--the original remains to be used again for another size. This is more difficult if the pattern is printed on tissue paper rathe than sturdy paper. Kwiksew patterns work well for this. As for the paper the pattern is traced onto: I use tissue paper.

anna mermaid

anna mermaid
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/14/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/06 11:10 AM

I trace all of my patterns on to tissue paper also. It is more time consuming but at least you have the original pattern intact. And, therefore, can use it for larger or smaller sizes or for making pattern adjustments both for fit and style. I also use my favorite patterns over and over again, so if they get beat up I still have the original for reference.

The only exception to this (tracing) would be one size patterns (such as craft items) or if I get them very cheap (so therefore can buy two - one for reference) which is rare because I hardly ever sew with the big 4 and mostly use independents and kwik sew.

------
2007 YTD

Yards IN: 64.3 yards
Yards Sewn: 30.68

2006 YTD
YARDS PUCHASED - 42.2
YARDS SEWN - 52.8

pterion
starstar
pterion  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/29/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/11/06 11:32 AM

I have two little daughters and I too trace the pattern, in the size I want, onto tracing paper so I can re-use the pattern. Be sure to write the pattern number and the labels (front, back, etc) on each piece as well as what size you cut out and what adjustments (lengthen/shorten) you made from the original.

MelissaB in WA
starstarstarstar
MelissaB in WA
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/18/04
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 11:36 AM

I also trace onto tissue paper or pattern ease (a tracing paper that you can find at Joann's in the interfacing section). I do tracing the Big 4 patterns sometimes, but I usually cut those out since I always buy them for .99 or $1.99. Hope this helps you. Oh and I just lay the paper over the pattern and use a pencil to trace the pattern out and any markings on the pattern that I might need.

Hope this helps you and congratulations on the upcoming baby!

------
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~Dolly Parton

Fabric sewn in 2014 ~ 25 yards
Fabric sewn in 2013 ~ 73.5 yards

Muria
star
Muria
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 2/13/05
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 11:40 AM

While the tracing method works better, I've also cut out the pattern in the largest size and folded the extra back to the size I need. It does require clipping along curves, but you can tape those back together when you fold it out to a larger size. I'll admit, however, that I don't typically reuse patterns, and if I did, I'd probably make a tracing on something more durable than the tissue that the patterns come on.

Congratulations, by the way.

------
Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 11:46 AM

For me, if a pattern costs me more than $3, I trace it --like KwikSew etc. But if they are on sale and I think I may have to "fiddle" with the size or not sure what size, I will buy 2 or 3. If they had the 99 cent sales back when my kids were little, I would have gone crazy buying a few in every size range. Tracing is a pain but for some patterns it is worth it.

JenSews2
star
JenSews2  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 2/21/04
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 1:02 PM

I trace too to tissue paper, or recently some tracing fabric. I like to keep the original pattern for reference because I alter the patterns and may goof. In the past I have always done kids patterns, but I usually only sew the very simple clothes (t's, pull-on shorts, pjs) because I like to use the different sizes. On the Big 4 patterns, I have to alter things like length and usually the crotch length is 1-2" too long on kids pants! I keep the original for reference along with my notes so I can recreate it if I wear out my tissue tracing.

Jen

------
*Jen*
If I stitch fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise?

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

In reply to scrapper

Date: 8/11/06 1:12 PM

I use tracing paper (e.g. Dritz tracing paper) and a tracing wheel, that way you can mark the alterations on the actual fabric without messing up the original pattern. Just a hint though, some of the tracing papers leave marks that do NOT "just erase" so I mark on the wrong side of the fabric.

------
Sewing is my therapy!

Tessa
star
Tessa
Intermediate
Manitoba CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/11/06 10:50 PM

I trace pretty well all patterns, unless I'm sure I'll never use it again for someone else. I use plastic which I buy on a roll at the hardware or lumber store, and permanent markers. There are several tips in the sewing tips and techniques on different ways to trace patterns. It is time-consuming, but I find I almost always have to make some alterations anyway. As well as the pattern number and size, I write information such as the person I used it for and the date, length of elastic etc.

------
Tessa

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> reusing patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

New Look 6030

photo
by: twilltape

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 286481-1009

photo
by: MariannaSe...

Review
SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.