SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Necchi Model 524 FB? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Necchi Model 524 FB?
Queendom

Queendom
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/7/06 6:30 PM

Someone gave me this Necchi Model 524 today. I have no clue as to how good a machine this is. It is called a Sew N' Serge Model 524/525. It does not appear to me that it could possibly serge. It is also labeled Alco Series.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I also received a Brother VX 1140. Don't have any other information about this one, other than it is plastic.

Both of these machines were used in the wardrobe department in Hollywood. I have a friend who was the wardrobe manager for many famous movies, but he doesn't sew, just hired people who did.

Help?

Sandra

------
Sandra
Whatever You Can Do, or Dream You Can, Begin it, Boldness has Genious, Power and Magic in it. - Goethe

KAB
KAB
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/9/06
Send Message

In reply to Queendom

Date: 9/7/06 8:33 PM

Sandra,

I have a Necchi 523 FB which might be the predecessor to yours, so I can't speak to the serge capability. It's all metal (very, very heavy), has a lot of reg stitches and a lot of stretch stitches, a vertical hook bobbin, and double needle capability, and an extended snap-in bed. It's old (from the 50's) and reliable as an old dog. Never been repaired, and I keep it clean and oiled. It handles everything from chiffon to leather, beautifully.

DH bought me (a surprise gift) a Viking Lily 555 about 4-5 yrs ago which I like, though I never recall wanting for a new machine.

I use them both equally, but the Viking Lily has been in the shop 4 times for expensive replacement parts (about $250-350 annually) and has been out of commission several times. ???? What's with that???? My Necchi is always set up, always running, always satisfying.

Sorry, I know nothing about Brother machines.

Kate

Queendom

Queendom
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to KAB

Date: 9/7/06 9:22 PM

Hi, Kate,

Leave it to you to always have the answers for me! Looks like the Necchi will be a keeper. Thanks so much.

Sandra

------
Sandra
Whatever You Can Do, or Dream You Can, Begin it, Boldness has Genious, Power and Magic in it. - Goethe

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to Queendom

Date: 9/7/06 9:25 PM

Hi Sandra,

The 524 is one of the models that they use in these "gimmick motel sales." They set up an itinerant crew in a motel or a local store, and run a big ad proclaiming something like these are machines that a school did not pay for, and that you can buy a $4-500 sewing machine for $2-250. They're no worse than any other of the cheaper machines, but are a Necchi in name only. The distributor who owns the Necchi name in the US simply orders these from an Asian (Taiwanese in this case) factory.

Bill Holman

Queendom

Queendom
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 9/8/06 11:13 AM

Ah Ha!!!! Thanks so much, Bill. At least I didn't pay for it!

Sandra

------
Sandra

KAB
KAB
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/9/06
Send Message

In reply to Queendom

Date: 9/8/06 11:32 AM

Oh, Sandra, I'm so disappointed for you! I thought you might have gotten a 'dream workhorse' like my 523FB. Oh well, thanks, Bill, for sharing your good knowledge.

Kate

cariliz
cariliz
Intermediate
Montana USA
Member since 1/4/07
Send Message

In reply to Queendom

Date: 9/16/07 12:59 PM

Hello, everyone. I am not new to this board, but haven't posted in a long time. I have learned many things from you wonderful folks! I just received a Necchi Model 521 yesterday. DH got it at a thrift store. Would it be the same as the 524 FB -- a "fake?" It is a very nice looking machine, heavy, runs very smoothly, looks almost new, but I can not find ANY information about it, aside from the downloadable manuals that are available at numerous sites. Carrie

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to cariliz

Date: 9/16/07 8:27 PM

That's a later model Necchi made in Taiwan. It's not fake, it's a real sewng machine.

The older Necchi's made in Italy are the more "coveted" models, but if the one you have works well and suits your taste, then THAT makes it a great machine??

pkruep

pkruep
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/23/04
Send Message

Date: 9/21/07 9:07 AM

Hi,

This thread is interesting--having also recently inherited a Necchi 536FB. How does one tell if it's real or fake? I'm really unfamiliar with this brand of sewing machine.

Thanks!

-Patricia

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to pkruep

Date: 9/21/07 10:44 AM

Fake?? What do you mean?

Your Necchi wasn't made in a Necchi factory in Italy like they once were many decades ago, but rather it is a badged machine. The USA Necchi distributor (Allyn International) contracts with Asian factories to have these machines made and then puts the Necchi name on it. They have used a variety of manufacturers over the years and are currently getting their machines from Janome.

These are real sewing machines, and some are of a decent quality compared to many machines of the same era, but they aren't of the same quality as most of the earlier Necchis made in Italy in the 50's and early 60's.

Look on the back of the machine where the model and serial number plate are located and it will tell you where the machine was manufactured.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Necchi Model 524 FB?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Claire Handbag

Claire Handbag

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-127

photo
by: Kemish

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.