Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Patterns and Notions > Kara Janx ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kara Janx
Kimono wrap dress
guillorypr
star
guillorypr
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/11/03
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/11/06 3:40 PM

I saw theKara Janx famous wrap dress. It is a beauty, but at 210 USD, it is beyond my consideration. This seems easy enough to make up. It uses matte jersey. I defer to you ladies for a similar pattern.

Paulette

moushka

moushka  Friend of PR
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 4/8/02

In reply to guillorypr

Date: 9/12/06 10:21 AM

Have you found a pattern yet? I thought Vogue 7931 looked adaptable. Replace the collar with a contrast band and add the super long ties. HTH.

Sue

guillorypr
star
guillorypr
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/11/03

Date: 9/12/06 11:39 AM

Hmmm, maybe. I don't know. I thought this would be a very popular topic as everyone here seems to love PR. I think the dress is lovely, I was kinda hoping someone else had adapted it.

Kisha
star
Kisha
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 8/13/03

Date: 9/12/06 4:49 PM

The sleeves look like there cut in ... I would suggest starting with New Look 6149 New Look 6149, cutting in a band and adding a skirt ... sounds like a lot of modification, but I haven't seen another wrap top with cut in sleeves.

------
Machine Stable: Bernina 165, Elna Lotus TSP, Babylock Imagine, Babylock Coverstitch and my newest baby Janome 350E

LonestarLady
star
LonestarLady  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 7/20/05

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 9/13/06 0:52 AM

The Kara Janx dress looks to me like the sleeves are not cut seperately, but are seamed top and bottom and cut one piece as part of the front and the other half of the sleeve cut as part of the back - is there an official name for this type of sleeve? The jacket for Simplicity 4779 reminds me of the cut of this dress if you extended it down to the calf and added the contrasting band and sewed in the belt at the sides. Simplicity 4779

Bonny Dune
star
Bonny Dune
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/21/03

Date: 9/13/06 11:59 AM

I like this dress too. I am I the only one reminded of the Duro dress?

I have been thinking about making this one. Since she calls it a kimono dress that is where I decided to start. I would use Simplity 4193 I think the jacket is the right shape.

I suspect you would have to cut a size or two smaller to make it into a dress. I would extend the coat to dress length. Add hidden closures under the band to keep it closed easier. And maybe some fish eye darts in the back at the waist line to cut down on the bulk. For the belt I would cut the existing belt wider and make it long enough to wrap twice with room to tie.

And I might want to make the bands wider. I think it would take some playing to get it right. But it would be fun to try.

Bonny Dune

ladybegood
starstar
ladybegood  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/03

Date: 9/13/06 1:41 PM

McCall 517 is close. It is not made for stretch jersey, and it doesn't have the kimon sleeves, but it does have the kimono styling. I think you get a much better idea of the dress from the line drawings. There is also 4007 but it isn't as fitted.

Does anybody remember that Vogue kimono-esque wrap dress that was out a few years ago? I think there were a couple of reviews of it here, but I can't remember the numer. You could probably still find it on ebay. This OOP Vogue 7820 is similar to the one that I am thinking of, but it is a mock wrap instead of a full wrap.

------
"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." Albert Einstein.
No wonder I just keep getting more and more creative!

popoagiesmiles
popoagiesmiles
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/06

Date: 9/13/06 4:01 PM

I have a Burdo WOF somewhere from a few years ago that has a dress like this except it doesn't have the collar and the continuation of the green down the front. It's not a wrap dress, but it could be made to look like one with the cosmetic addition of a satin collar and band continuing down the front plust a tie at the waist. It was made of black knit fabric with a black satin waist portion...why can't I think of the proper term...the part between the waist and just under the bust area and all the way around the back. Peplum? Anyway, it has the same shape, even to the sleeves.

------
"puhPOjhu"--a river that sinks into a mountain with fury and winds around underground for miles before emerging in calm down the road...

double_psyche

double_psyche
Member since 1/24/06

Date: 9/13/06 11:39 PM

OK, not to rain on the parade...but I don't know if any of those patterns would be quite right.

I have a picture of this dress, with four models wearing it in different colors. There is one girl wearing it over a white camisole and jeans, and she has it mostly untied, so you can kind of see the mechanics of it. It doesn't seem to be an actual "wrap" dress, where the bodice neckline runs from the shoulder to the side seam and has ties attached to the "point" at the waist. It actually looks like a big cardigan, where the front opening is cut fairly straight from neck to hem and the ties are attached at the side seams. Of course, this seems a bit problematic, as I can't imagine it stays closed throughout the day.

I found the image on a Google Image search for "Kara Janx kimono dress" or some configuration of those words. I wish I was more technically inclined and I could post it!

ladybegood
starstar
ladybegood  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/03

In reply to double_psyche

Date: 9/14/06 0:36 AM

The picture you are thinking of can be seen here. However, I think that it only looks like it is straight because it is basically untied. There are other images on Kara's site that give this impression, but as you can see here it can be worn more conservatively like a traditional wrap dress.

The Vogue pattern I was thinking of is 7748. There's only one review of it here on PR, and I could not find a current listing on ebay, but you can see a picture of it at this closed auction. But I also think that Kwik Sew 3408 is darn close, if you are willing to sacrifice the kimono sleeves. All you'd have to add would be a 2-3 inch wide contrasting band down the front edges and a really long belt. The Kwik Sew is also for knits, so that's a big plus.

Or if you can be patient I'm sure that knock offs will ensue, either as completed dresses or as sewing patterns!

-- Edited on 9/14/06 0:38 AM --

------
"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." Albert Einstein.
No wonder I just keep getting more and more creative!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Kara Janx

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2009-102
photo
Review by Heidi Ho on 1/12/10
Read Review

New Look 6141 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )
New Look 6141 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1657 Pattern ( Size 18W-26W )
Simplicity 1657 Pattern ( Size 18W-26W )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCall's M5050
photo
Review by velosewer on 11/3/08
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Alex & Anna Summer PJs Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Alex & Anna Summer PJs Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Maria Denmark Lotta Lady Bag Digital Pattern
Maria Denmark Lotta Lady Bag Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $5.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Details
Price: $14.25
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN