SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Sophia Knit ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sophia Knit
is this good stuff?
Izzie
starstar
Izzie
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 6/28/03
Send Message

Date: 9/22/06 3:32 PM

I just noticed that fabric.com (nayy) has some sophia knit. I think we've talked about this fabric before, is it nice to work with?
They also got in a few colors of wool doubleknit.
Tammy
-- Edited on 9/22/06 3:33 PM --

Kris O
star
Kris O
Advanced Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 5/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Izzie

Date: 9/22/06 4:12 PM

I have literally just returned from my local independent fabric store where I fondled some of this stuff. It is quite nice, but not too different from the ponte knit that JoAnns carries. I notice that fabric.com has several colors, though.

------
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 9/22/06 8:21 PM

I just fondled some of this Sohpia at a local independent too. It was deliciously soft and seemed like it would be a dream to sew with and wear. I see the fabric.com sophia knits are polyester/rayon/lycra. I could swear that the one I saw was 90 percent rayon and 10 lycra and probably lighter weight. Maybe it was en earlier incarnation of the same fabric. It was on a Logantex bolt and the independent store guy has a funny mix of ancient and new fabrics.

ETA This was in Charlottesville in case you are near there.
-- Edited on 9/22/06 8:24 PM --

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 9/22/06 9:38 PM

It sounds like the same (or at least similar) stuff that I was surprised to find recently at Hancock's. 60" wide, crosswise stretch, drapey, pleasant to touch and stable enough to be easy to work with. Bev/BjP found it at her Hancock's, too, but we agreed that the color selection there left a little to be desired - like colors we really wanted and needed.

Bev and I have both washed the yardage we bought and think it came out of the dryer looking just great. The fiber content on that Sophia knit looks the same, but fabric.com has some colors I'd like to have.

So thanks a whole bunch to Izzie for alerting me to the Sophia knit. Visa is very grateful to you; DH...not so much.

I'm off to let Bev know what Izzie found.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

BjP
star
BjP
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 3/3/03
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer

Date: 9/22/06 9:55 PM

Oh yes, Karla, thanks so very much for directing my attention to this! I love this stuff and am thrilled to see some "regular" colors that will look great for fall. What do you think you will order? I'm lovin' the plum but might have to get a couple other colors just in case I don't find it again. I bought a dark moss green at Hancock's.

I'd better go order while the selection is still good!

ETA: Thanks, Izzie, for posting the great find!

-- Edited on 9/22/06 9:59 PM --

------
Bev

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to BjP

Date: 9/22/06 10:43 PM

Quote:
What do you think you will order?

Cinnamon. I'm very proud of myself for my semi-self-control. Only one color.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

BjP
star
BjP
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 3/3/03
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/22/06 10:59 PM

I also was considering the cinnamon, since I don't have a thing that color. And because I love the sound of that word. And because many years ago when I was in Okinawa I had a great little dog named that. I think that's three good reasons to pop it into my shopping cart along with the plum....

------
Bev

JenSews2
star
JenSews2  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 2/21/04
Send Message

Date: 9/23/06 1:48 AM

Does anyone know how different this is from the Stretch Cotton Blend Double knit fabric that fabric.com carries (other than a slightly different content and fall colors)?

Stretch cotton blend

Does anyone have some of both or will I be forced to buy both just to see for myself?

Jen

------
*Jen*
If I stitch fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise?

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to JenSews2

Date: 9/23/06 5:50 AM

Jen, I think the cotton/poly doubleknit that they carry is Juliette, or something very much like it. Juliette feels very nice, too. It's a little denser and a little less drapey than the poly/rayon/lycra. I like the Juliette for sporty separates; the Sophia is suitable for patterns with flair or fullness in the skirt, soft cowls, etc.

What do you think, Bev?

------

utz
star
utz
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

Date: 9/23/06 8:17 AM

Anyone know whether this stuff (sophia) has less tendency to pill after a number of washes?

------
'Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.' Oscar Wilde

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Sophia Knit

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Megan Nielsen MN2102

photo
by: punkmik

Review
Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

More Info
A-Door-Ables

A-Door-Ables

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.