SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Need comparison review: Viking 6440/6460 Vs viking 150 vs Viking Platinum 770 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need comparison review: Viking 6440/6460 Vs viking 150 vs Viking Platinum 770
AMurderOfCrows
AMurderOfCrows
Member since 10/17/06
Send Message

Date: 10/17/06 6:45 PM

is there anyone here who has owned the viking 6440 or 6460 and has since upgraded to another machine?

i want to get my girlfriend a really good machine, and i like the features of the 770, but she sews on really odd stuff, anything from sheers to car straps. She currently owns a 6440, and i was told it will be about $300 minimum to service.

can anyone help with a comparison review between the 6440/6460 and either the 150 or the Platinum 770?

thank you

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

Date: 10/17/06 6:56 PM

I'm planning to buy the 770 in a few weeks, but I can't compare it to any machine (other than a mechanical Bernina 1008 which I've owned for a year).

When I tested a 770 at the dealers, it handled half a dozen layers of heavy denim, as well as fine silk, without any problems.

I think the 770 is an excellent machine with great features. And now is an excellent time to buy one since the 770 has been recently discontinued. Hope this helps.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

meanjean
star
meanjean  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 5/4/05
Send Message

Date: 10/17/06 7:51 PM

I have had my platinum 770 for about a year and a half. While I wasn't emotionally ready to spend so much on a sewing machine at the time, I have absolutely no regrets. It's been a dream machine. Keep in mind that I do only dressmaking --- no car straps, yet anyway.

I love the sewing advisor, the smart button-hole maker, and the selection of engineered presser feet that are available. The cost of the feet adds up pretty quickly, but if your girlfriend sews clothes, splurge on getting her the walking foot, the straight stitch foot, the straight stitch plate, and the English (vs. metric) plate.

------
Jean

"A woman of valor, who can find? ... She seeks out wool and linen, and her hands work willingly ..." Proverbs 3:13-18

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 10/17/06 8:54 PM

I have a 6440, and the service is usually $70-100 for regular maintenance (more if it needs a part).

For your girlfriend, why not give her a card with a picture of a sewing machine, and let her choose a machine that she can test first?

------
mmmmm woooool

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

In reply to AMurderOfCrows

Date: 10/17/06 11:03 PM

I can't compare, but I have the 770 and love it. I have recently sewed through 12 layers of fabric (some being coating and canvas) and it did fine. For routine maintance the cost runs about $90.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

AMurderOfCrows
AMurderOfCrows
Member since 10/17/06
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001

Date: 10/18/06 4:22 PM

Quote: nancy2001
I'm planning to buy the 770 in a few weeks, but I can't compare it to any machine (other than a mechanical Bernina 1008 which I've owned for a year).

When I tested a 770 at the dealers, it handled half a dozen layers of heavy denim, as well as fine silk, without any problems.

I think the 770 is an excellent machine with great features. And now is an excellent time to buy one since the 770 has been recently discontinued. Hope this helps.

this was helpful, thank you
AMurderOfCrows
AMurderOfCrows
Member since 10/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Speech girl

Date: 10/18/06 4:25 PM

Quote: mikkim
I can't compare, but I have the 770 and love it. I have recently sewed through 12 layers of fabric (some being coating and canvas) and it did fine. For routine maintance the cost runs about $90.

as was this.

i doubt she will ever do tow strap again, but one never knows....mainly, clothes and dolls are her thing. i just do not want to get her something that will break down.

the 6440, from the guy's description, sounds like it needs more service than the standard, but then again, he might be trying to get out of working on it, or getting ready to rip me one in the wallet because of my being naieve on these things....i don't know

so far, no direct comparisons between the 2 machines.....that's what i'm holding out for, though i think i'm getting her the 770.

thanx all
Rebecca HB
Rebecca HB
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/27/06
Send Message

In reply to AMurderOfCrows

Date: 10/18/06 5:34 PM

Are you in Tennessee?

Rebecca

------
Rebecca

AMurderOfCrows
AMurderOfCrows
Member since 10/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Rebecca HB

Date: 10/18/06 9:00 PM

nope, oregon

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

Date: 10/18/06 9:05 PM

The 770 is a joy to use. Your girlfriend would be thrilled to receive it as a gift.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Need comparison review: Viking 6440/6460 Vs viking 150 vs Viking Platinum 770

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

McCall's 6460

photo
by: couturemom

Review
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now
Ottobre Design 2011

photo
by: wendlesue

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.