Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Holiday Eating Tips ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Holiday Eating Tips
'Tis the Season . . . (LOL)
Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/22/06 8:01 AM

This was posted on another 'net board a few years ago and is priceless. 'Tis the season to resurrect it.....

Holiday Eating Tips

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. Like fine single-malt scotch, it's rare. In fact, it's even rarer than single-malt scotch. You can't find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

11. Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05

Date: 11/22/06 8:35 AM

Very funny and unfortunately all too true.

My holiday eating tip is to remember that the holidays are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. All the other days in between are just regular days when we should eat sensibly the way our parents and grandparents did.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

BeckyC
star
BeckyC  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 5/8/04

In reply to Doris W. in TN

Date: 11/22/06 8:40 AM

ROFL

------
I feed my soul by the stitches I sew.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
PA USA
Member since 11/30/04

Date: 11/22/06 11:23 AM

!!!

You can add one to the list. Don't wait until after your meal to enjoy your desserts. Eat it before so you can really enjoy it, then eat if after the big meal too.

That's what we do LOL! We watch the Macy's Day Parade on TV starting at 9, then at 10:30 we all have dessert (a sampling of everything, of course ) w/ some chai or coffee. It keeps us filled until 2 or 3 for the Thanksgiving meal.

Then when the kids are hungry at 7 or 8, we have dessert again!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing/Embroidery Combo Machine: Janome MC15000. Sewing Machines: Elna 740, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator

Date: 11/22/06 12:29 PM

This was hilarious! I think I'll follow this holiday eating guide. Sounds like fun!

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 4/8/02

In reply to ryan's mom

Date: 11/22/06 12:39 PM

Nothing better than a "dessert buffet"!!

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

pterion
starstar
pterion  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/29/04

Date: 11/22/06 1:30 PM

Oh, this is funny! I'm passing this one along. Thanks for the chuckle.

-Terry H.

Princess Jenny
star
Princess Jenny
Intermediate
Member since 4/8/04

Date: 11/27/06 8:14 AM

Funny :)

Unfortunately, the gravy made me suffer horribly after Thanksgiving.
The potatoes were too dry, so mil added lots of gravy (made with turkey grease and drippings) to them while they were being made. Well.... I have been a vegetarian for 9 years or so and unknowingly ate a large helping. This played havoc with my stomach. Turning a simple "Black Friday" into a very black Friday indeed :(

Jen

------
The mark of a true seamstress is not in her ability to sew,
but in her tenacity to rip.

krystalkaes
star
krystalkaes
CO USA
Member since 6/6/04

In reply to Princess Jenny

Date: 11/27/06 3:15 PM

Oh No! I am sorry to hear this. I was a vegetarian for years and you have my complete sympathy. Oh. . . .

-- Edited on 11/27/06 3:16 PM --

Princess Jenny
star
Princess Jenny
Intermediate
Member since 4/8/04

In reply to krystalkaes

Date: 11/27/06 3:29 PM

Awww, thanks
Luckily, it only lasted one day. I was feeling fine by Saturday.

Jen
who is bringing her own mashed potatoes to Christmas dinner- lol!

------
The mark of a true seamstress is not in her ability to sew,
but in her tenacity to rip.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Holiday Eating Tips

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Simplicity 2700
photo
Review by JennyAnne on 1/7/10
Read Review

Kwik Sew 3527 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3527 Pattern

Details
Price: $10.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5893 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Butterick 5893 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5357
photo
Review by sewin on 10/3/10
Read Review

Dixie DIY Ballet Dress
Dixie DIY Ballet Dress

Details
Price: $4.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Lily Bird Studio Amy's Peplum Top Digital Pattern
Lily Bird Studio Amy's Peplum Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $9.90
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jeans for Real People DVD Set
Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt
Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN