SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Janome 6600 P ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome 6600 P
Need some advice
Reggies Mom
Reggies Mom
USA
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/07 8:41 PM

Hello all Janome lovers! After reading many of the reviews here I've decided that the 6600P is my dream machine. Of course I have some questions....

From what I see here the price seems to vary from about $1200 to $2200....that seems like a very wide gap to me. I walked into my closest dealer and asked about price. They quoted me $1899.00. I didn't have time to do a test drive or ask further questions as they got pretty busy while I was there. These are the only Janome dealers in my town and they seem very nice.....I think they have a very good reputation and these particular people have been in business for about 4 decades. I didn't detect even a whiff of high pressure!

I would get "unlimited" free classes to learn about the machine --- something I didn't think I would need--- but I've never had such a complex machine so surely I would benefit from those.

Just the second before I left I heard something mentioned about a hydraulic table to raise or lower the machine. Since this isn't a free-arm, why would that be necessary? I guess I'm missing something here! If anyone knows about those, what should they cost?

Naturally, I want to get the lowest price possible. On the other hand I think these are reputable folks who obviously need to make a certain profit in order to provide good support and service. What's the best strategy for haggling in this environment?

Anything else I should know about in terms of service, problems, performance, optional accessories, etc?? I want to walk back in being a savvy consumer. (And I know that hubby won't be happy unless he thinks we got the deal of the century. He also has his eye on a Sailrite he saw while there. This is weird because after being so annoyed by my sewing babble he now wants to sew. He's an outdoorsy sort of guy so I guess he's convinced himself that sewing is MANLY! Ha ha)

Thanks everyone.
-- Edited on 1/5/07 8:44 PM --
-- Edited on 1/5/07 8:46 PM --

------
“Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.”
~Garrison Keillor~

Kathy_AZ

Kathy_AZ  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 1/19/05
Send Message

In reply to Reggies Mom

Date: 1/5/07 9:02 PM

I've had my 6600 for about 4-5 months and really like it. I haven't reviewed it yet since it's my secondary machine and I really haven't used it extensively yet. I paid $1,799 for it. I live in Scottsdale and there are just a couple of Janome dealers in the area, and they don't deal at all. The optional accessories that I bought are 1/4 inch quilters foot and the stitch in the ditch foot for use with the built in accu-feed and an invisible zipper foot. Since I do really like the accu-feed system I thought that I'd use those feet alot -- turns out I was right. If you have a dealer that will deal, I'd recommend trying to get them to throw in a couple of the feet with the deal since the accu-feed feet are pretty pricey. HTH

------
Viking Designer SE LE; Viking 936 serger; Janome CoverPro 1000; Viking Sapphire 870; 1957 Brother mechanical.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to Reggies Mom

Date: 1/5/07 9:17 PM

Some of the price differences, could come from the fact that some people may have traded up. The hydraulic table is probably a sewing table. When you are not sewing, you can lower the machine. Here a link so that you can look at some (NAYY).

I can't give you any advice on haggling (I'm not very good at it ). Best wishes for a happy buying experience and I hope you enjoy your new machine.

vitusya
star
vitusya
Intermediate
Member since 4/26/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/07 9:36 PM

I suggest you contact www.acesewvac.com for a quote. The price I was quoted was fantastic, and I would go for it if I lived in the States.

Also, on the Janome 6600/6500 user group an individual contacted me asking if I were interested in buying a used 6600 from her. Again, she is in the States, and because I am in Canada, that would not be an option for me.

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 1/5/07 9:39 PM

I just bought mine! $1900 is a good price, I think, depending on where you live. Does it include the 1st years service? Rather than negotiate price, you will probably have better luck negotiating service since most shops are pretty small. And servicing costs real money, so that definitely adds to the deal.

(I also think the very low prices listed involved trade-ups.)

P.S. So far, I haven't needed any additional accessories. But so far hasn't been too long. Actually, I take it back - I need a new table. This machine is larger than my old one, and my really is too small.

P.P.S. Hope your DH does pick up sewing for his outdoor activities.
-- Edited on 1/5/07 9:41 PM --

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Reggies Mom
Reggies Mom
USA
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/07 11:53 PM

Thanks ladies for all the info and advice. I'm a little more confident now, and realize that $1 or $2 hundred bucks shouldn't make or break the deal....given everything else is copesetic.

AnneM, I too hope that DH will think that outdoor sewing activities are cool. He had a hang gliding biz many years ago, a lot of his family have sail boats, and my side of the family are mostly pilots. ( I might be a pilot, too, if I weren't totally blind!) But, yes, guys can and DO like to sew---kind of exciting, huh?
-- Edited on 1/6/07 0:19 AM --

------
“Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.”
~Garrison Keillor~

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Reggies Mom

Date: 1/6/07 3:32 PM

You can join the Janome 6500/6600 Yahoo Group and see what the prices are in your area. This is a great group and will be very helpful to you once you buy your machine.

Cathie

Cathie
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/03
Send Message

Subject: Janome 6600 P Warning Date: 2/3/07 0:43 AM

The bed of the 6600 is metal. Removing mine from its Regal/Horn cabinet which has a custom made plexiglass insert, took off paint to the metal on the top left hand corners of the bed. I am just sick. I keep my things so nice and my Janome 4800 QC looks like it did the day I brought it home from the store. I had only used the 6600 once and just for a few minutes... While the damage is not bad and certainly doesn't affect the quality of use, it is upsetting that it seems so delicate that you cannot even touch it against anything.

Sometimes I might lay tiny embroidery scissors down on the bed of my machine or the edge of my sewing cabinet. Don't do this on the 6600-just laying even small scissors on its surface causes fine scratching...

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 2/3/07 8:14 AM

Cathie, I've heard this before about the paint-chipping issues. I am thinking there could be a product you could use that would protect the paint somewhat...maybe a turtle wax type? I had hoped they had corrected this with the 6600. I know the Elna 7200 has the same problem.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent

Date: 2/3/07 9:19 AM

You're right about that paint being delicate. That has been an ongoing problem since the 6500s came out. Janome finally stopped replacing machines because they were going to go broke if they did.

I have the 6500 and noticed some light scratch marks on my bed, caused by pins. To prevent further damaged I bought one of the Sew Slips and keep that on top of my machine bed. I cut the hole much larger, to fit the entire throat plate and make it easier to change the bobbins, etc. I Figure that $25 was my insurance policy.

My old Bernina has been far more abused with nary a scratch. I think something has been removed from paint - again- to protect the environment. I have a 2- year old Japanese import car and the paint isn't nearly what it was on all my previous cars.

Other than the crummy paint, these are fantastic machines and a great value for the price, IMO.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Janome 6600 P

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic

Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic

Buy Now
McCall's 6518

photo
by: BlossomKyl...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.