SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Janome MC9700 or Singer Quantum Futura CE200? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome MC9700 or Singer Quantum Futura CE200?
Buying a sewing machine
TrainorMama
TrainorMama
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 1/10/07
Send Message

Date: 1/10/07 5:03 PM

I love my laptop and it is time for me to make the jump to a computerized sewing machine! Love those features! I am in the market for a sewing/embroidery machine.
I have looked and have tested the Janome MC9700, which I LOVE, but at $2199 on sale it is a little too much unless we refinance.
So I have also found the Singer Quantum Future CE200 but I am worried about the complaints about it. I am totally sold on the idea that the embroidery part of the machine is dependent on my computer. I love the flexibility and no need to buy extra reader/writers or cards. I found it online for $649. No need to sell the house!
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/10/07 9:38 PM

I'm moving this thread to embroidery forum.

Have you visited the Futura yahoo groups? There is one that is very active and offers alot of support. I subscribed to it for a while. I was considering one too, but have backed off. Not because of the machine itself - but after reading several forums and suport groups, embroidery is just not something I want to tackle right now. But the Futura was on my list due to the price. I could buy more notions and supplies and not have to worry about conversion boxes and software. However, you will still need extra software to do certain things like special monogramming.
What I gleaned from the support group was that the Futura owners loved their machines. It is finicky and demands that you do everything in a certain order- and the manual sort of sucks. If you get one, go to the Futura Emboidery group and use their help files. There is a certain order in which you have to do things like loading the software and such, or your PC won't laod the software properly.
I got sort of the same impression visiting other groups -there is a learning curve with embroidery, and problems tend to get blamed on the machines when it it is user error lots of times.
Autopunch is the digitizing program that comes with the ce200, and from what I understand it is only so-so. That wouldn't really deter me, as I would likely buy designs off the net anyway.
The other thing is that the Futura does not have the large embroidery field that others do. I believe it is like 4.5x6.5 or something like that. Sort of inbetween.

Good luck - do post back here to tell us how you are doing!

-- Edited on 1/10/07 9:51 PM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 1/10/07 9:52 PM

This topic has been moved from Sewing Machines & Sergers to Machine Embroidery

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

MrsKeds
star
MrsKeds
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 4/25/05
Send Message

Date: 1/11/07 7:00 AM

TrainorMama,

I own a Quantum Futura CE200, and I love it. I have compared the quality of the embroidery against some very $$$ machines and I couldn't tell the difference.

As far as the software loading issue, I believe that there is only a problem if you have a certain security patch installed but there is either a patch out from Singer or one from Microsoft that will resolve the issue. I only have the autopunch software that came with the machine as I have not found the need at this time to purchase the rest of the software.

As far as doing monograms, unless you purchase their program, you may (let me stress may) run into issues. However, there are plenty of free embroidery fonts out there so I don't think that you'll really have an issue. I did hear of a trick on another forum that works.... Go into paint, and type in whatever font you want that you have stored as a true type font in the size that you want. Save this out as a jpg file, then just run that thru autopunch. It will give you the basic lettering that you want in as fancy of a font that you can find (or already have loaded). It's just a few extra steps to get what you need.

Anyway, good luck in your searches. You will have a blast.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to TrainorMama

Date: 1/12/07 0:05 AM

I was researching for a second machind and I needed something inexpensive. As i already have the Janome 10001. This machine seemed like it would be perfect. But then I starting reading about it, joined a yahoo group and couldn't believe all the problems people were having with it. I wouldn't want this machine if someone gave it to me. The Janome is a much better machine. If you don't need a combo machine check out the Janome embroidery only machines. the 300 and 350.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

Date: 1/15/07 1:00 AM

I totally agree with SewWolf---Think about a Janome 350E. I have two 300Es and I understand that you can hook the 350 up directly to your computer. I have to tell you that sometimes that is great, and other times as in designing for the giga-hoop it can be a detriment.

I am also going to add: My original 300E is three years old and went to a million stitches last year. I bought the demo model from my dealer for a deal. I do enough embroidery I really needed two. I am not professional if you can believe that. In any event, I have not had one minutes trouble with my first machine. I have it serviced and the tension adjusted regularly, but I can do the tension myself now. You just cannot beat the reliability of a Janome embroidery machine no matter which one you go with. The 350 has the same unit as the 9700 I am almost positive. The 9500 has the same as the 300E--I know for sure.

The reason you should mainly consider a stand alone is that no matter how great your combo machine sews--it does not do anything while it is cookin a great design. If you have another machine you like, you might consider a stand alone.

One more thought, and I said this in a review of the expo here in KC. In the spring there are a lot of home shows if you are near a large city. Here, the major sewing machine companies have booth at the show. With in the span of a few hundred yards you can try, wheel, deal, ask questions of almost every major brand around. They are chomping at the bit to give you a great deal also. The savings in gas could pay for a more expensive machine, or lots of thread or stabilizer you are going to need. On second thought---hold off on not refinancing the house---embroidery is addictive.

MrsKeds: Fancy seeing you over here?? Darlin--I had no idea you embroidered also! Cool!

------
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight

MrsKeds
star
MrsKeds
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 4/25/05
Send Message

Date: 1/15/07 7:03 PM

Ody,

I'm playing around with embroidery.

I've stitched out a few designs playing around. I'm starting to stitch out quilt blocks.

I've have been doing a TON of FSL. I made quite a few ornaments for the Christmas tree, and some to give away. I've made a doily (that I also gave away), and am working on my second one for myself.

I found a beautiful little heart design that says "Love" on it - from Dainty Stitches I believe - that I'm stitching quite a few in various shades of red, pink, and white. Thought my DS might give a couple to his girlfriend for valentiens day. Additionally, I was thinking of selling them on the classifieds where I work for a couple of bucks as sort of a last minute gift for the guys. I figure that they could put a dab of the ladies favorite perfume on it and let her stash it into her underwear drawer.

I'm going to try it tonight, to see if the perfume makes the thread bleed or lose any color.

Mostly I just play around. It is usually stitching in the background while I am busy sewing something.

I can say that I have used my CE200 to stitch out some stunning Zundt lace designs. Oh La La! I plan on stitching them to some napkins. I feel that if my little machine, even given the bad reviews that some have given it, can stitch out 25000 stitches in that small of a space and look fantastic, then I'm not going to worry about it. This was a starter machine for me, as DH didn't want to spend the big $$$ until I knew if I would like it or even do it or not. All I can say is I have way more invested in stabalizers and threads now than I have in that machine.
-- Edited on 1/15/07 7:05 PM --

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

In reply to MrsKeds

Date: 1/15/07 11:05 PM

I am sure you have a wonderful husband--really, but you have to wonder what they spend on the huge wide screen TV, their computer, big trucks, or a bass boat??? Take for instance a bass boat. Would they buy the line, "We will get a small one to see if you really like fishing??" or "We can get a 38" screen first and then IF YOU LIKE FOOTBALL we can get a 50" screen." I just think men are very funny.

What ever happened to Trainermamma?? What machine did you ever decide to get???

Sewwolf--What second machine did you decide to get???

------
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Ody

Date: 1/16/07 7:44 AM

I didn't and won't for now. I don't really need one. I thought about it cos my Janome got jammed the needle threader again. That is the only problem I've had with this macine the needle threader. Anyway I was making my dd's quilt for Christmas and it set me back a week. Hubby said it's a shame you can't find a second machine to use in a pinch. With that encougement I started looking lol. But the best choice was a Janome 350 I already have all the software and all my designs are .jef. But that was just a little too much. So for now just one. My other choice was a Singer xL6000 not exactly cheap either lol lol. I wanted something to connect to computer or use a medium like flash cards or usb flash drives not many machine fit that bill esp inexpensive ones. I wasn't ready to deal with all the problems people were having with Singers, even some machines are fine a lot aren't. I'm not going to pay that kinda of money for something to deal with frustration.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf

Date: 1/16/07 4:09 PM

Threader---I have not looked at the threader on the other J machines, but my 300Es and the 6500 have the same threader. Have you threaded any metallic or heavier type thread lately?? That will either distort or wreck the little wire that goes through the eye of the needle and pulls the thread through.
I therefore always hand thread those types of thread. Guess how I found that out??? On my original machine I had to have that little piece replaced because I had been doing metallics. I have never had a problem since I hand thread those.
-- Edited on 1/16/07 4:12 PM --

------
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Janome MC9700 or Singer Quantum Futura CE200?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vogue Patterns 1549

photo
by: becca a

Review
McCall's 6570

photo
by: lilyloulad...

Review
Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.