SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Best Built sewing machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Best Built sewing machine
anyone know this brand?
ladylola
star
ladylola
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 2/10/04
Send Message

Date: 1/18/07 9:49 AM

I came across this add for a Best Built sewing machine. I never saw this brand name and searches gave me little info. Have you ever heard of it?

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to ladylola

Date: 1/18/07 10:35 AM

This is a generic Japanese built model that is commonly called an HA-1. They are "clones" of a very old Singer 15 class machine, and were built by the thousands by numerous Japanese mfgrs. They are quite simple and reliable, and can usually be picked up in places like thrift shops for very low prices, but sometimes a price can reflect tune up work that has recently been performed. I created an instruction book for these machines by piecing together pictures from other versions and writing my own text, and it is available for downloading by anyone who wants it.

Bill Holman

ladylola
star
ladylola
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 2/10/04
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 1/19/07 8:46 AM

Thank you very much Bill! I searched with HA-1 and found more info.

richard lewis
richard lewis
Intermediate
Member since 2/4/07
Send Message

Subject: sorry, posted in wrong space Date: 2/4/07 8:11 PM

removed
-- Edited on 2/4/07 8:38 PM --

richard lewis
richard lewis
Intermediate
Member since 2/4/07
Send Message

Subject: see above Date: 2/4/07 8:14 PM

see above
-- Edited on 2/4/07 8:38 PM --

mensplace
mensplace
Member since 10/29/07
Send Message

Date: 10/29/07 6:14 PM

Would GREATLY appreciate ANY information on BestBuilt. Have a BestBuilt that I have tried to identify controls, but there is one on the top right that escapes me. I have identified the stitch width and the stich length as well as tension and footer tension but one numerical dial on the top is a complete mystery. Thank You!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to mensplace

Date: 10/29/07 6:50 PM

needle position??

A photo of the machine and the control in question will probably help us indentify it.

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to mensplace

Date: 10/29/07 6:50 PM

I am not familiar with this machine but may I ask what are the numbers and how many numbers are on the dial? Just guessing here but I was wondering if the numbers are for buttonholes which usually are 4 step. 1 is for one side, 2 is for the bar tack, 3 is for the other side, and either 2 can be used again for the bartack or it could also have the number 4 for the 2nd bar tack. If this is one of the older Japanese machines it is probably not a buttonhole dial but what else it might be..only the Shadow knows..(at this time)
Sometimes older machines also had different levels for the feed dogs to drop but I don't think they were numbered. Other numbered dials are for the foot pressure but I think you said you found that one.
I don't know if your machine uses cams or if your machine is new enough to have these numbers designate different stitches.
Best of luck in figuring this out. Maybe somebody will post with the answer.
-- Edited on 10/29/07 6:59 PM --
-- Edited on 10/29/07 7:18 PM --

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 10/29/07 7:01 PM

Ha, I forgot that one Jenny, but wouldn't the machine say L,C,R instead of numbers? Interesting mystery.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 10/29/07 10:43 PM

Usually, they have LCR, but I have seen some with just lines, no letters and some with numbers- ?? go figure.

Anyhow, I think you may be on the right track right about this control being for a built-in buttonhole.
-- Edited on 10/30/07 7:11 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Best Built sewing machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

McCall's 5633

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Jalie 2919

photo
by: j Renee De...

Review

Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.