SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Creating a well fitting knit t-shirt pattern

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Creating a well fitting knit t-shirt pattern
... is anybody interested in joining me?
Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 10/19/03 9:35 PM

ok I've had enough. I've come to accept the fact that almost on all the tops I make I need the following alterations:

1. Forward Shoulder or high round back alteration
2. Full bust adjustment
3. Sway back

I've only done the forward shoulder adjustment on one or two patterns before but I really want to just take one pattern and do all the alterations on it and end up with a pattern I'll use over and over again. I just thought it might be more fun if I had someone else also with me in this project. By the end I want to have one set in sleeve and one raglan sleeve pattern perfected to which I can add design details to create multiple t-shirts.

I am going to start with these two patterns from my stash:

For Set-in-Sleeve Kwik Sew 2804

And for Raglan Sleeve Loes Hinse Cowl Top

Is anybody interested in joining me for this project? I plan to start something this week.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

CarolynGM
starstarstarstar
CarolynGM  Friend of PR
AR USA
Member since 3/9/03
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 7:05 AM

Actually Deepika, I'm attempting to do the same thing. I traced a new version of Burda 3197 yesterday starting from a smaller size since I always have shoulder and upper chest difficulties. I have traced the Loes Hinse boatneck top but haven't tried it yet.

------
Carolyn

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 10:22 AM

Great Irina! I already have both the patterns traced. I might be able to do something tomorrow night. I am going to start with the kwik sew pattern first.

------
- Deepika

Joyfullife

Joyfullife
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 9/18/03
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 11:08 AM

Include me here.  This is great...a t-shirt fitting support group!  I am working on Burda 3197.  I don't have FFRP, I have Fitting Finesse from the library.  I don't know what the forward shoulder adjustment is, though I probably need it.  I am doing the sloping shoulder adjustment, full-bust adjustment, and increasing at the waist, which I might not need due to the bust adjustment.  Hmmmm, swayback too?  I don't know how to do that one either.  I really need to get that book.

------
Leah

"As I stand before God at the end of my life, I hope that I do not have a single talent
so that I may say I used everything you gave me." Erma Bombeck

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 6:48 PM

Great project idea, and I wish I could join in this week.  However, having just returned from a trip to NC, I'm trying to get my desk at work cleared off (Cleared off???  I'm trying to FIND it!;) and get my laundry done so I can pack for my NYC trip this Thursday.  I'll be keeping an eye on this topic, though, so I can try it at a later date.  I hope you all post your tips and tricks, so the rest of us can learn.  Good luck!

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Towanda
star
Towanda
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 7:18 PM

Deepika,

One of my goals over the next several weeks is to make a well-fitting T shirt from PMB3 or Curves. I'm too well-endowed in the bust department and have no hips. I'm trying a softwear program because I hate altering patterns.

Towanda

------
Towanda
Happiness is an endless fabric budget
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/

gabrielle

gabrielle
Beginner
WA USA
Member since 3/27/02
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 8:19 PM

Count me in!! I'm currently working with Jalie 2005, and will try Neue Mode  23057 for a raglan. I need full-bust, swayback, forward shoulder or high round, and what else?Sometimes doing a sloping shoulder adjustment helps if the line is too square, and I like higher armholes. A lot of patterns' armholes seem too low, and I can't decide what the problem is--if it's just a preference quirk or a genuine fitting issue.  Anyway, I'm trying the Jalie boatneck right now, and have full-bust and swayback alterations made to the pattern and the fabric is cut out. I'm so glad to know others are doing this, too--i thought everyone but me had this figured out!

pfk206
pfk206
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 3/9/03
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 8:21 PM

Deepika,

Excellent idea!  I ordered FFRP yesterday from my local bookstore, and I'll be searching my pattern stash for a t-shirt pattern to work on.  I'm sure there's one or two pieces of knit fabric lurking in my stash somewhere! :winkgrin:

Pearl in Vancouver

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 9:45 PM

ok this is great! I am a very goal oriented person (or atleast I try to be) so are we setting any goals for ourselves in this group? My goal is by the end of this week I will have one good fitting t-shirt pattern. so to achieve that since I have only a few hours every day after work to sew, I'll spend one day doing my alterations and perhaps two days to sew? which means that if I start tomorrow or day after I should be good.

This is the order in which I'll be doing alterations:
1. High Round Back (pg 122 FFRP)
2. Sway Back (pg 126 FFRP)
3. Forward Shoulders (pg 162 FFRP)
4. Full Bust (pg 142-146 FFRP)

------
- Deepika

gabrielle

gabrielle
Beginner
WA USA
Member since 3/27/02
Send Message

Date: 10/20/03 10:31 PM

Deepika,

That's pretty much my schedule. too (one day to work with the pattern, and two to sew). I can't fit it in otherwise. I have the Jalie boatneck ready to go with a full-bust and swayback alteration. I'm not sure how much to make for the forward-shoulder and/or high-round, so I thought maybe I'd save that one for the next go-round when I see how it fits. I'll try to start sewing tomorrow so I'll have something to show by Friday. This  is just the kick-in-the-butt I desperately need :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Creating a well fitting knit t-shirt pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 3881

photo
by: westmoon

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2400

photo
by: collister4...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.