SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Lower looper thread keeps breaking. ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lower looper thread keeps breaking.
Among other things.
Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/15/07 12:14 PM

I got a used Janome Compulock as a gift. Great machine, but since it's used I've been troubleshooting some problems. I never got the coverstitch to work right....EVER. But I gave up on that some time ago. Last night I was sewing with a three thread overlock and the lower looper thread would just suddenly break in mid-seam. I figured I had it threaded wrong, the thread was catching somewhere, or maybe not in the tension disc. I rethreaded, checked everything, but it still did it. In looking at the machine, I noticed that the upper looper hits right up against the needle. This doesn't seem right to me and I sure don't remember my last serger doing that. I just wanted to know if my machine definitely needed to go to a technician. The one time I took a machine in for repair, I got burned really bad so now I have a fear of sewing machine technicians. My fear is also not alleviated by the fact that the two repair guys I talked to were very reluctant to work on a Compulock. I was told by one that I would have to send my machine in to Janome to fix the coverstitch because it has to be calibrated at the factory. So then what's the point of having certified Janome repairmen then?

So my question to you all is do I need to take it in to get serviced, or are the things I'm describing normal and due to user error?

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

MaryLynn in Long Beach
star
MaryLynn in Long Beach
California USA
Member since 7/2/04
Send Message

Date: 2/15/07 3:55 PM

Having the upper looper hit the needle doesn't sound right to me, but before you cart the machine off, switch spools of thread.

It turns out that serger thread is really pretty fragile, made with short yarns, not longer, like regular thread. If the spool is dropped, in many cases, the thread becomes defective and breaks incessantly. There are other reasons for the thread to go bad, too.

------
Mary Lynn (Who's finally sitting up and taking nourishment)

Design Degree??? I prefer my artistic license

"A woman who works with her hands is a laborer; a woman who works with her hands and her mind is a craftsman; but a woman who works with her hands and her brain and her heart is an artist." (St. Thomas Aquinas, modified)

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to MaryLynn in Long Beach

Date: 2/15/07 4:13 PM

I'm glad you mentioned that, Marylynn. My girls love to play with mommy's serger thread. I never realized just dropping it could do that. I'll be more careful with my threads.

In examining things more in my machine I'm noticing that when the thread is breaking the lower looper thread is wrapping itself around the upper looper oddly, getting stuck. The thread is coming out of the hook to the left of the lower looper and getting wrapped around the upper looper. I'm just not sure why it's doing that yet. Although I've done it a lot already, I will rethread everything and then try it.
-- Edited on 2/15/07 4:14 PM --

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Pyrose
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/15/07 4:22 PM

When you rethread your lower looper are you remembering to thread your needles "last". Your threads will tangle if the needles threads are not free and clear after threading the lower looper. Be sure that your lower looper thread is over the upper looper arm, then thread your needles..see if this helps.
As for the upper looper being close to your needles, I don't understand that, unless you need to change your stitch width or stitch finger for the stitch you are using.
I hope you get it worked out.

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/27/07 1:22 PM

Well, it's been a while, but I thought I'd update my progress. I'm still having problems with the lower looper thread breaking and tangling. Although it's not doing it as much now. The manual tells me to leave 4" of thread hanging after threading the lower looper, which I was not doing before. So I think what was happening before was the thread was tangling then after a bit of stitching it would break. Once I started leaving the thread hanging, it would work better and the chains were forming better. However, I'll still be just chugging along when all of a sudden, the thread will just break again from getting wrapped oddly around the upper looper arm. Now I just need to figure out why in the world the lower looper thread is popping out from where it's supposed to be and wrapping itself around the upper looper.

The worst part of all of this is I used to enjoy using my serger. Now I actually cringe when it's time to sit and use it. The way it looks I may have to break down and go to a technician which scares me to no end.

Edited to add: Oops, Kylnne, forgot to reply to you. Yes, I'm making sure to thread my needles last so they don't get caught up in it. I was threading the machine the way you described with the thread hanging over the upper looper arm. I switched over to just leaving it hanging freely because the manual tells me to do so. The upper looper arm comes right up against my needle when making the stitch. One of my concerns was that it was too close.

I think next time I sit down at my serger I'll also try a new needle. The one I have in there wasn't used much, but maybe that's enough to cause this problem? I'm not sure. Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

-- Edited on 2/27/07 2:14 PM --

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

fwbean472
fwbean472
Advanced Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 8/17/05
Send Message

Date: 2/27/07 2:32 PM

I was having all kinds of issues with my lower looper, so I went back to the training class. One thing the teacher told me when threading is after the lower looper is threaded, put the thread tail to the back of the machine and make sure it is going over the upper looper. This information was nowhere in the manual. In fact the manual said to pull the thread tail under the presser foot and to the left. As long as I pull the lower looper tail to the back over the upper looper, I'm not having any problems. HTH

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to fwbean472

Date: 2/27/07 4:46 PM

With my previous serger, the manual also said to pull the thread tail under the presser foot and to the left. That's one of the things I was doing with this serger that was wrong. Now this serger's manual tells me to just leave it hanging there, but what you and Kylnne are telling me about making sure it's back over the upper looper makes sense to me.

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Pyrose

Date: 2/27/07 5:55 PM

I am getting a bit confused. a Coverlock has 3 loopers..On my 744 Coverlock when using the 'Chain looper" when threaded I leave at least 3 inches of thread that is automatically pulled to postion when I stitch but when using the "lower looper" thread I put over the upper looper arm.
My 744 has a large area to the right of the needles and really does not need the threads pulled to back left as with my other serger but I still do it out of habit when doing serged stitches.
There is a difference when doing Coverhem stitches concerning the threads on my 744.. The threads are set to the left "front" side of my foot before starting to sew.
-- Edited on 2/27/07 5:58 PM --

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Pyrose

Date: 2/27/07 6:11 PM

I'm curious about what type thread you're using. There was a discussion here a year ago about black/dark Maxi-Lock thread breaking like mad. I had one of those spools and finally threw it out. Might it be your thread? Switch the spools you have and see if the breaking follows the thread to its new location? Might be worth a try - fast and cheap - if nothing else works.

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 2/27/07 6:23 PM

Sorry about the confusion. Probably due to the way I'm typing things. Anytime I'm typing I'm also watching two very, VERY hyper girls . Free time is a thing of the distant past. I'll try to clarify better as to what I'm doing. Then maybe something wrong that I'm doing will surface.

My coverstitch has never ever worked. When I first set up the coverstitch I've got the two needles threaded, both threads pulled back. The chain looper thread hangs down a couple inches as stated in the manual. Then I start sewing on the fabric. The result is always two rows of neat straight stitching on top and a mess on the wrong side. It does not make those nice little "v"s at all. I can get it to kind of behave on wovens after playing with tensions for at least an hour. However, it's never worked on knits regardless of what needles I've tried. Since all my other stitches worked fine, I just wrote it off as a loss and never attempted it again.

Then my thread started breaking while doing a regular 3 thread overlock. For regular three thread overlock, my manual tells me to let the lower looper thread hang there 4" then just close the cover door and start sewing. It doesn't tell me to put the thread over the upper looper at all.

My manual is a piece of junk to say the least. It doesn't really cover where all these threads are supposed to be laying at when you first start to sew. I think I may be doing something wrong when it comes to first starting the stitching. I have it threaded on the thread paths correctly, but I think I have my thread ends laying incorrectly to start off.

Hopefully I've painted a more clear picture of what I'm doing.

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Lower looper thread keeps breaking.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2010-11

photo
by: angeleyes8...

Review
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.