SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Help me decide on Janome 350e OR Bernette 340 deco ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help me decide on Janome 350e OR Bernette 340 deco
reviewss
reviewss
Beginner
FL USA
Member since 3/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/18/07 4:57 AM

Hello everyone,
This is my first thread here. I usually just lurk and read but today I'm actually posting. I been researching stand-alone embroidery machines and narrowed my search down to either the Janome 350e or Bernette 340 deco. I know nothing about embroidery machines, so please help me choose which one is better. What is the lowest price I could get for these 2 machines? Is one better than the other? Is Embird compatible with both of these machines? What features does one have that the other doesn't? Which one is better built? Which one is more user friendly? Which one would you purchase yourself?
Are there any other stand alone machines similar to these?
Thanks.

-- Edited on 3/18/07 5:00 AM --
-- Edited on 3/18/07 5:04 AM --

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 3/18/07 8:25 AM

There are several reviews on the Janome 300e and 350e here at PR. There is also a whole thread on these machines. I could not find a review for the Bernette but maybe someone has one and can answer your questions. I just got the 350e and really like it - super easy to use. I paid $1084 on sale at my dealer.

To find the reviews click on the sewing machine tab above or type the machine number in the search box and click sm/serger and they will pop up.

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

reviewss
reviewss
Beginner
FL USA
Member since 3/14/07
Send Message

Date: 3/18/07 1:39 PM

These 2 machines are in the same price range. I've heard so many nice things about the Janome 350e that I'm having second thoughts about the Bernette 340 deco. The main stand out feature of the Janome 350e that interests me the most is the giga hoop. Do I absolutely NEED customizer in order to use giga hoop? Software program prices scare the heck out of me. Since these 2 machines are the same price, I wonder which one out preforms the other? Which one is better built? And Peggy, Is sales tax included in your purchase price? What added bonus did they throw in for you?
-- Edited on 3/18/07 1:39 PM --

janlorraine

janlorraine
Advanced
GA USA
Member since 10/6/04
Send Message

In reply to reviewss

Date: 3/18/07 2:46 PM

I would also consider whether you want a drop-in or vertical bobbin. I, personally, will never buy a vertical bobbin machine again since I find changing the bobbin a real hassle and don't see any advantage in stitch quality to compensate for the bother of acccessing that part of the machine, taking out the bobbin case and replacing the empty bobbin, but I know some people prefer this system.

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

In reply to reviewss

Date: 3/18/07 2:55 PM

Hi! I have had two 300es and just sold the newest one and kept my original. Other than my dd doing damage to the card prongs on the mother board and having it replaced (long story), my original has never given my any trouble. I just had it tuned up and the needle shaft alligned and it sews perfectly, which is great since it has diligently embroidered over 2 million stitches. I do take very good care of my machines, however.
The reason I mention the 300e is that I sold my newest one and upgraded to a 350e and have been putting it through its paces. It really does WONDERFUL embroidery! I am really impressed with the quality and tightness of the stitch. Now, I think it is very user friendly, and I suppose I should read the manual at some point, but I never read the manual on the 300e either. So, one thing about the Janomes are they are very reliable.

Digitizers and software:
1) You have to have Customizer to use the giga hoop. It is an easy program and has light digitizing with it. I understand that the outlining feature is very good. Since I have Digitizer Pro, I usually only use the giga hoop portion.

2) Embird is very good and reasonable and you can add features as you need them, such as monograming. There are great monograms built into the 350, however. Design Gallery also has add ons, which allows you to have the basics and add the features you want in software as the comfort level and need arises.

3) If you get the 350e, Janome has wonderful lessons on their website. I have a computer in my sewing room next to my machines and use it all the time. You will want one too and it does not have to be a new bang up go to the moon power station. I have my dh's old Gateway which is at least five years old, which means if you get one, you can get it cheap and used. I switch back and forth from the lessons to the software, and try out what they are teaching. Very handy process.

I would get Customizer first, and download a free trial of Embird and try it. I have done some gorgeous giga hoop designs you can see if you go to my album in any of my reviews. Click on the "gallery" in the upper left hand corner of any of the pictures. All of those were done on my 300es.

This is an expressed opinion so here goes. Except for sergers, (I like Babylock), I am a huge Janome fan. I have a great dealer and have six Janome machines; J6500P, J1600P, 300e, 350e, an old 8000, and a Cover Pro 1000. I hardly ever have any problems with them in all the years I have used that brand. I sew and embroider a lot, even home dec.

What ever machine you decide to get, be forewarned!!! Machine embroidery can be very addictive! That 2 million stitches was not for a business, but my own 6 children, their kids, and kids in the neighborhood that think I can make or embroider anything!!

One more comment: If I can learn to digitize, and create giga hoop designs, and have not even figured out how to link here at PR, you can learn the software. Quit telling yourself it is too hard! There is just a new learning curve and I know there are groups that are around to help with Customizer, bc there are Yahoo groups for Embird that are more than willing to lead you through the software maze to success.

------
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight

moor426
moor426
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

In reply to janlorraine

Date: 3/18/07 2:56 PM

I think Janome make both of these machines, but the Bernina deco is a different embroidery format. The Janome is very easy to use with readily available storage media and of course Embird can be used also. I do not know if this is the case with the Deco 340.

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to reviewss

Date: 3/18/07 3:39 PM

No - sales tax was not included! Didn't get any "freebies" thrown in but did get 30% off accessories I ordered the same day. I have the Giga Hoop on order. I use Embird - already had it for my Pfaff 7570 so I just upgraded to the latest version (had not done an upgrade in quite a while). Embird is very reasonably priced and can be bought at Secrets of Embroidery

I also joined some Embird groups on Yahoo to get addtional info and help. I do think Embird supports the Giga hoop - it is listed in the pull down menu. If you have more questions, ask away! I did get the 350e based on all the great reviews here on PR. I think my DSis is going to get one soon!!!

------

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/6/03
Send Message

In reply to Peggy L

Date: 3/18/07 6:47 PM

Now, I did not know that Embird supported the giga hoop. That is very interesting. I would love to sit down and do some designing on Embird and then put it into the gh and see how that works.
I design and change in DP and save in jeff. and then import into Customizer for the giga hoop designs. Some times that takes quite a bit of going back and forth if I want to make changes in parts of the whole design. I did one that was a large free flower bouquet from somewhere. I took it apart by objects, and put it back together by objects in the gh design. I stitched it out and it worked, but have not done one that extensive yet. That one was just for the challenge.

------
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to Ody

Date: 3/18/07 6:51 PM

Mine hasn't come in but I did go check on Embird and it is listed. There are instructions on one of the Yahoo groups I am a member of on how to use it. I should probably check the tutorial I bought!!

------

eliz2
eliz2
Advanced Beginner
SC
Member since 3/11/05
Send Message

Date: 3/19/07 0:22 AM

Just thought I would throw in my praise for the 350e. I knew absolutely nothing about embroidery and am not terribly computer savy. I was able to sit down with the manual, read through it and start embroidering. I bought some books, and read a lot on here and other sites. I have done quite a few things now and use it just about every day. I got a fantastic deal of 900.00 - no extras, but have a dealer 5 minutes from my home. I really love it and as Ody says -gosh it is addictive -like 2 am addictive! Good luck with your choice.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Help me decide on Janome 350e OR Bernette 340 deco

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Jalie 2919

photo
by: momtoesthe...

Review

Pattern

Simplicity 5351

photo
by: westmoon

Review
Maggie

Maggie

Buy Now
WhatNots

WhatNots

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.