SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Brother 2340CV Coverstitch machine ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother 2340CV Coverstitch machine
namakb

namakb
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 2/23/04
Send Message

Date: 4/22/07 2:45 PM

I was considering purchasing this machine from Ken's Sewing Center. It is a good price at $499 with extra attachments. Has anyone done business with Ken's and what was your experience with them? My local dealter wants between $700-$800 for the same machine and I doubt that it has the extra attachements.

LCT56
LCT56
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/16/05
Send Message

In reply to namakb
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/23/07 12:34 PM

I purchased this CS machine from Ken's several weeks ago. I live about 150 miles from there and actually drove there so I could "test-drive" the machine, since I couldn't find a local dealer. My machine is great (although I haven't had time to try out the binders, etc.), and the people at Ken's couldn't be nicer. They are pleasant, friendly, and helpful.

Not only do they have a store full of new machines of all types, they also have lots of used machines at good prices. I
highly recommend Ken's and will certainly be making other machine purchases from them. Now that I've met them in person I will feel comfortable letting them just send me any future machines.

And I'm glad you started this topic. Maybe we Brother CS owners can continue to come here to help each other with our brand of machine.

Linda in TN

peggygd
peggygd
Member since 4/24/07
Send Message

Date: 4/24/07 7:08 PM

I want to try to make wedding dresses, but i don't have a sewing machine yet. Anyone can tell me what machine is good for me to make wedding dresses???

creative1
star
creative1
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/25/06
Send Message

Date: 4/28/07 7:17 AM

I was thinking to buy Brother 2340CV Coverstitch machine. Do you owners of this machine like your Brother CS? Does it skip stitches over cross seams? Does it 'tunnel' on thin knits?
I am asking bc I used to own Janome CS that did everything to annoy me.
Eventually 8 months later I took it back to the dealer.
I really need a a good, reliable CS as I do a lot of sewing on knits.
-- Edited on 4/28/07 7:20 AM --

JDpenelope
starstar
JDpenelope  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

In reply to creative1
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/28/07 8:50 AM

Creative1 and namakb -- Have you looked at the reviews on this site? Sew4fun--an expert sewist--loves her machine and can really make it hum. I had a different experience, though, and truly hated mine. We both wrote reviews, with very different assessments.

The only possible explanations for the differing views might be:

1.) Sew4fun could make *any* machine work for her!

2.) A local Brother dealer told me that this model is an industrial machine, they didn't carry it, and wouldn't order or support it. If that is true, maybe it just takes more expertise to deal with the peculiarities of the model.

3.) The machine I bought needed dealer adjustments that my dealer was incapable (due to lack of effort or lack of expertise, not sure which) of making.

4.) Different sew-ists have very different needs and expectations.

What I learned: It's risky buying a machine you haven't actually pre-tested from a dealer who doesn't provide support!

Good luck. Hope this helps.
-- Edited on 4/28/07 8:51 AM --

------
aka Joanne. (Penelope was our cat. RIP.)
"What mother nature gives, father time takes away."
Yahoo group: Sewing-with-Industrial-Machines

LCT56
LCT56
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/16/05
Send Message

In reply to creative1

Date: 4/28/07 9:22 AM

I purchased this machine based on several factors, with one of the major ones being that this was the machine Sew4Fun has and that she likes it! I was also able to purchase it at a very good price with lots of the binders, etc. included.

One of the things I really like about it is that you can use the Schmetz needles available at the fabric stores (making sure you are being the recommended sizes). When I am using it on a rather thin knit, I've found that two things are very helpful. I change to ballpoint needles and also use steam-a-seam (the lightweight version). There is no tunneling. If I don't do these two things, I have a mess.

ETA: This machine is no more an industrial machine than the Janome or the Babylock. I did have the misfortune of buying an Asian industrial off E-bay a couple of years ago that stitched so fast you couldn't keep up with it. Until then, I didn't know there was a machine that could sew faster than I could. It made nice stitches--you just didn't quite know where they would be. It is now a dust catcher in my sewing room. And I'm really, really happy with my Brother CS.

When using heavier fabrics, I do slow down a little when going across seams and haven't had any skipped stitches.

If price had been absolutely no consideration, I probably would have gotten Debbie Cook's fav (the Babylock), but I knew if Sew4Fun was happy with her Brother CS, I would be too. HTH

Linda in Tennessee

-- Edited on 4/28/07 9:29 AM --

ETA: The Brother CS is no more an industrial machine than the Janome or the Babylock. I did purchase an Asian brand industrial from E-bay a couple of years ago, and that machine sewed so fast I couldn't keep up with it. It went from zero to about 2000 stitches per minute in one second. Needless to say, it is now a dust catcher in my sewing room. That experience makes me love my Brother even more.
-- Edited on 4/28/07 9:34 AM --

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to LCT56

Date: 4/28/07 9:34 AM

Quote:
Debbie Cook's fav (the Babylock),

Just pointing out that the Babylock is my "fav" only because it's what I have. I haven't actually used the Brother 2340 or Janome CP.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

LCT56
LCT56
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/16/05
Send Message

In reply to Debbie Cook

Date: 4/28/07 9:41 AM

I still think your Babylock would be your "fav" if you tried the others. And I really want to thank you for all the coverstitch tutorials and advice. That has made my coverstitching learning curve so much easier, and I appreciate your taking the time to do this for everyone. You really need to convert all of that into a book in your "spare" time.

JDpenelope
starstar
JDpenelope  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

In reply to LCT56

Date: 4/28/07 10:15 AM

Quote:
ETA: This machine is no more an industrial machine than the Janome or the Babylock.

LCT56 -- You are probably right, and I didn't mention that I was very suspicious of this statement by a Brother dealer, and simply went to another dealer and ordered the machine from him.

Because I had no support for serious problems with my particular machine, I again recommend pre-testing and being sure your dealer will competently and earnestly support your purchase.

------
aka Joanne. (Penelope was our cat. RIP.)
"What mother nature gives, father time takes away."
Yahoo group: Sewing-with-Industrial-Machines

creative1
star
creative1
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/25/06
Send Message

Date: 4/30/07 6:21 AM

Quote:
Creative1 and namakb -- Have you looked at the reviews on this site?
Penelope, I do keep a close eye on all CS reviews on PR site. Just was unable to find mentioning those particular problems I was experiencing with my ex-Janome CS machine -- tunneling and skipping stitches. Also unability to work with wooly nylon/ textured poly in the looper.
I did test-drive of Brother CS in a shop and it seemed to perform much better.( I brought the garments on which Janome failed to perform.)

Quote:
We both wrote reviews, with very different assessments. The only possible explanations for the differing views might be...
I had a similar experience with Janome CS. A lot of people love it, I hated it. I am still puzzled at this fact. I can't explain how is that the same machine can perform so differently. To get a full assessment of Janome CS at that time at different dealers I checked as many of them as possible. They all performed equally badly. (I can't say it happened due to lack of my CS expertise as I had used CS on my Elna for 4 years.)

-- Edited on 4/30/07 7:28 AM --
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Brother 2340CV Coverstitch machine

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2012-13

photo
by: ClaireEmil...

Review
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.