SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > "your personal fit" pattern

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
"your personal fit" pattern
Has anybody tried this?
sewbusy

sewbusy
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 11/16/03
Send Message

Date: 11/30/03 7:21 AM

I saw an ad in Threads for this company. Here's what the ad says:
Uses your body measurements with their unparalleled techniques to convert your 3D body form into a 2D master pattern.  Reduce your frustration, save your time & money, customize your wardrobe. Easy to use for your better fit.
So I checked the web site: http://www.yourpersonalfit.com/threads.php
and it looks pretty good. But does it work? Do they actually make an accurate sloper? Has anybody tried it?

EmiLee
EmiLee
Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 11/23/02
Send Message

Date: 12/1/03 5:29 PM

Sorry, I can't give you any information about this product.  But I am certainly interested in seeing if anyone responds to this question, as I am just starting to pay more attention to fitting issues and trying to decide the best way to get a sloper as a starting point.  I was debating between Kenneth King's Moulage vs the Sure Fit system.  Now I've added the Your Personal Fit idea to my list.

I'm looking for a simple STARTING point for someone who has sewn for many years and likes clothes with plenty of ease, so I've never really paid as much attention as I should to all the fitting techniques.

I hope someone will respond soon with something more helpful than I have to offer.

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02
Send Message

Date: 12/1/03 8:51 PM

Sorry, I don't know about the Personal Fit patterns--but to answer EmiLee's question about slopers:

If you are looking for a simple starting point for slopers, I highly recommend the Leenas.com web site for drafting instructions.

I am NOT an expert sewer, but I have experimented with drafting slopers using several different books and online instructions. I've used the Leena's instructions for sleeves and pants, and got good results--comparable to other methods which used more complicated instructions.

I haven't tried Kenneth King's moulage, but from what I've read about it, it sounds more complex than other methods. I'll bet it results in a great fit if you can do it, though.

Any kind of sloper drafting takes time and patience. Be extra careful when taking measurements--I've found that most of my "mistakes" in drafting were actually due to inaccurate measurements.

If you use a lot of Big 4 patterns, it might be more worthwhile to purchase one of their fitting patterns and use that as a sloper.  (I have not tried these, but I plan to.)

I don't always use my slopers for fitting, but I do think they are helpful for de-mystifying the fitting process.

I also have a lot of fitting books, and I use them all. However, by trying out several methods, I've also learned that any fitting book will give reasonably good results if you take good measurements and follow the instructions very carefully.

Hope that helps, and sorry if I got too far off-topic.

EmiLee
EmiLee
Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 11/23/02
Send Message

Date: 12/3/03 3:37 PM

Thanks for the link to Leenas .... I looked at it briefly and have bookmarked it to go back to when I have time to actually follow through with the sloper.

I have been mulling over this topic for a while now.  I have been sorely tempted by the "Your Personal Fit" pattern, as the idea of having a sloper professionally drafted for me is very appealing.  My biggest fear, no matter who creates the sloper, is that I will make errors in measurement.  I have no one who is able/willing to help me with the measurements, so I hope I can get reasonably accurate numbers doing it myself.  (If anyone has any helpful hints on measuring yourself, by yourself, I'd appreciate it.)

Anyway, as I said, I've been giving this a lot of thought and have decided that my aim in wanting a sloper is not just the end product of having a sloper but a better understanding of HOW to properly alter a pattern for good fit.  Therefore, it seems to me that I will benefit more if, initially at least, I attempt to create a sloper myself.  Whether I use Leena's method or try one of the Big 4 sloper patterns as a starting point, I am leaning toward starting with something like that.  Later, perhaps, I will consider the "Your Personal Fit" pattern (which remains very appealing to me) to see if it would be helpful in fine-tuning a sloper and/or point out areas I missed that need attention.

Does this make sense?  Any comments?

Also, as I said, I'm still interested in any information that others might have about using any of the above mentioned techniques to help with fitting issues.

els
starstar
els
Expert/Couture
International NETHERLANDS
Member since 1/28/03
Send Message

Date: 12/3/03 5:55 PM

Hi Emilee,

My biggest fear, no matter who creates the sloper, is that I will make errors in measurement.  I have no one who is able/willing to help me with the measurements,

Have you ever considered taking advantage of a professional drafted sloper by a Pacc member?
I have had clients who can sew well, but do not know how to draft a pattern and they hired me for drafting a sloper. I also make a muslin and after the fitting I alter the sloper so they had a well-drafted sloper where they can work with. It is essential that you know what to do with the sloper afterwards, like change the bust dart in a princes style or whatever you want, adding more ease at bust, waist, hips etc.

Or you can hire a professional dressmaker to measure you if you can work and alter a sloper from Vogue or Butterick.

It is very hard to measure yourself, and you need another sewer to do that, especially with the length measurements and the back measurements.

look for members in your area:
.paccprofessionals.org/referrals

Hope you can find someone, who can help you with a good sloper.Good luck.

------
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/

EmiLee
EmiLee
Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 11/23/02
Send Message

Date: 12/3/03 6:32 PM

Thanks, Els.  I didn't even know what PACC is, so I appreciate the link.  Maybe that would be a good way to go.  My problem is that I have a multiply handicapped daughter for whom I provide care 24/7, and it is very diffuclt for me to schedule outside appointments--it can take months to get to a doctor's appointment or to get my hair cut.  I'll see what I can work out, though, because I think that would be just the kind of help I would need.  About how long would it take to do something like this--both in terms of my time and the time of the person who would be drafting the sloper?  Is it terribly expensive?

I really appreicate the information.

els
starstar
els
Expert/Couture
International NETHERLANDS
Member since 1/28/03
Send Message

Date: 12/4/03 9:58 AM

Hi Emilee I can advice you to call one of the dressmakers in your area to ask about the sloper, to inquire about the costs,time and money .You can also ask if the dressmaker or pattern maker can come to your house to take the measurements,I do too, if they can not come to me .I am not a Pacc member because I am Dutch ,I am a member of a Dutch Organisation.

------
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/

EmiLee
EmiLee
Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 11/23/02
Send Message

Date: 12/4/03 4:59 PM

Hmm ... I've never been to Holland.  Maybe I should schedule some time away from home and get you to help me with my sloper?  

Seriously, though, I have found a few possibilities in my area and will definitely follow up.

Thanks again.

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02
Send Message

Date: 12/6/03 6:41 PM

I usually measure myself for fitting, and the best advice I can give is to take all the measurements, write them down, and then take them again. 2-3 times if you need to. You can assume the numbers are right, if you get the same numbers over and over again each time you measure.

The Leena's slopers do not require as many measurements as some other methods--that's another reason why I like them.

Comparing the finished pattern to measurements of a similar style in RTW also helps. Recently, I drafted some yoga pants and I couldn't figure out why they were not fitting right. I compared my pattern to a similar pair of RTW yoga pants and realized I needed to change the crotch curve. (The RTW pants didn't quite fit either, but they were close enough, I was able to see what needed to be adjusted on my pattern.)

sewbusy

sewbusy
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 11/16/03
Send Message

Date: 12/13/03 5:42 PM

I love the idea of getting a sloper drafted for me by a professional!! I do know know what to do with one if I could just get one that fits right.  The folks at Personal Fit responded to my questions and these aren't exactly slopers.  More like a basic pattern.  They have 2-3" of ease built in.  That's the problem I've had before, trying to modify regular patterns -trying to figure out how much each to add/remove beyond what's already there.  It seems like twice the work - you have to measure yourself, measure the pattern, figure out how much difference there is between the two and then figure out how to adjust the pattern.  With a real sloper, I can go directly to how much ease do I want on. Period. Done. I'm gone to that website.  

Margaret

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> "your personal fit" pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

No Pattern Used 0001

photo
by: BADBamaBun...

Review
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

More Info
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

More Info
Simplicity 3678

photo
by: HRigg

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.