SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > 100% cotton wovens and knits - source help! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
100% cotton wovens and knits - source help!
I need help finding on-line 100% cotton
Member since 3/16/04
Send Message

Date: 12/24/03 6:12 PM

HI,

I have found in the on-line stores that 100% cotten is hard to find.  I have been using 100% organic cotton fabric, but it is so expensive that I have thinking about sewing with regular and washing many many times to rid it most of those nasty chemicals that they add. I am serevely allergic.  I have plowed through  about 43 of the sites mentioned on the fabric websites romended, but only 1 had a very good selection at all of 100% cotton.  I still need to plow through the rest or them.  

Maybe some one out there can help me find some.

Needs to be on-line as I can not go inside buildings due to chemical allergies.

Thanks

Mary

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 12/24/03 6:18 PM

Have you been buying from cottonplus.com?

Wazoodle have a couple of all cotton knits - but I think they might be in baby colours. I can't think of anywhere else online (I shop in person mostly)

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

Ruqayya
star
Ruqayya
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 10/31/03
Send Message

Date: 12/25/03 4:30 PM

Unfortunately, nowadays,  most cotton materials are blends - especially polyester. I've only seen a tiny offering of 100% cotton in the quilting department.  Maybe you want to do a search on-line for fabric shops that specialize in quilting. Quilting forums & message boards or quilting clubs also may have suggestions.

Good luck  :winkgrin:

Member since 3/16/04
Send Message

Date: 12/25/03 4:41 PM

I have a few quilt fabirc stores bookmarked but isn't the fabric almost too dense to drape correctly?  CAn you make a shirt out of quilt fabiric? is it the right wieght?  I called a place and  asked what they would call quilt fabirc.  THey said just quilt or craft fabric.  But the pattern envelope says stuff like bastice, or chambry, now what do I do?

And the quilt fabiric are so dark usually.  When I used to go to store, I shopped in the quilt sotre and it was mary heaven every thing 100% cotton, no need to look at tags.  Although they seem to be carrying the 100% polester fleece there now.  I found some cotton and fabric,com and  there is some here too http://www.sews.com/fabrics.html

But the wieght is all the same it seems.  I guess I  can't be too picky with my situation.  

thanks

Mary

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 12/25/03 11:08 PM

You could try Dharma Trading, they have ready-to-dye fabrics in cotton, hemp, and linen, and they are all non-synthetic (synthetics won't take dye). I thought I'd seen some organic cotton at Dharma, but now I'm not finding it on their website. I've seen tons of pure cotton shirtings (like men's dress shirt type stuff) and cotton knits at G-Street, but they've stopped doing mail order, so that doesn't help much  :confused:  Quilting cottons are a bit coarse and stiff, they can work for some things, like a casual shirt, but might be weird for shirts that want a lighter, drapier fabric. fabrics-store.com has a few cottons and more linens, I've never bought from them, but have heard that their stock is decent quality but nothing spectacular. HTH!

------
mmmmm woooool

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/26/03 0:49 AM

Farmhousefabrics.com has a large selection of cottons.  They have cotton batiste, pima cottons, cotton voile, chambray etc. They have a large selection of cotton gingham.   I have been impressed with the quality of their fabrics.  
 I've also purchased 100% cotton knits from sewbaby.com.  They specialize in fabric for children's clothes, but I have purchased 100% cotton knits in plain colors, suitable for adults.  I'm not sure what kind of a selection they have  right now.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Rhonda Noah
starstarstar
Rhonda Noah
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 12/26/03 4:56 AM

Mikkim has suggested the two best stores that came to my mind, www.sewbaby.com and www.farmhousefabrics.com.

I've ordered from Sewbaby and got great quality stuff and fast service.  However, right now there is a note on their site that apparently two of the three employees will be having surgery soon, and only one person will be left to handle shop for awhile.  This might slow down the service, but unless you're in a real hurry I wouldn't let it stop me.  They have great quality fabrics.

Farmhouse is a site that I keep admiring but have not yet ordered anything from.  They specialize in heirloom sewing, so they have those lovely batistes, chambrays, etc. that your patterns call for.  They do carry some expensive stuff, but much of it is reasonable.  You might check out their clearance or sale section and find some good buys there, too.

Good luck in your fabric search.

------
Life is mostly froth and bubble; two things stand in stone: Kindness in another's troubles, courage in your own.

Kathy in NM
star
Kathy in NM  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 3/16/02
Send Message

Date: 12/26/03 9:43 AM

Try PM Organics PM organics  They have a good selection of organic fabrics, knits and wovens.  I have ordered from them and have been pleased with the fabrics.

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 12/26/03 9:47 AM

Wow Rhonda, I browed the Farmhouse Fabrics site and it was like a candy store!  Thanks for the tip.

bunz
star
bunz
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/26/03 10:13 AM

mary,

Dharma trading is a great idea.  Their stuff is specifically UN treated so it will take dyes.  Of course, it is all white or off-white, but they do have cotton in all weights right up to canvas.  Also silk.

:cool: Nina

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> 100% cotton wovens and knits - source help!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

KnipMode Magazine 07-2010-3

photo
by: treefrog

Review
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.