SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Olfa discontinues Rotary Cutter Arm ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Olfa discontinues Rotary Cutter Arm
Bummer: it made cutting seam allowances EASY Now what?
utz
star
utz
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

Date: 8/7/07 3:55 PM

I was reading a post about someone asking which people prefered, scissors vs rotary cutters. I was going to refer the person to the Olfa Rotary Cutter Arm which you attach to the older version of the Olfas and you can adjust to any width.
I saw that my old
link did not go thru - then I phoned Olfa "this has been discontinued" They gave me a referral to a Charlie 1-800-735-8656 has left over stock (NAYY) He has a website, olfadeals.com. But to get the arm, I think you have to phone him, I didn't search thru whole site. I've seen one or two at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston.

Anyway - back to my rant. To discontinue the rotary cutter arm seems really a shame - kind of like selling a pot or pan without a handle. The cutter arm makes the cutter really useful to sewers, but alas no more. Once the supply is gone, I think we'll have to make our own (off the hardware store again to invent our own)

(My old post on this was, verbatim: s for adding seam allowances, I do not add them on the paper on which I trace. That way I can chalk trace around outline of the paper which is the stitching line on the fabric. That makes sewing very accuraate. Then I cut a seam allownce on the fabric. I use an Olfa cutter with a cutter bar - which many sewing stores seem no longer to carry but is a great, great addition to a rotary cutter: Here's a pictureOlfa Rotary Cutter Arm

You can adjust the depth of the seam allowance as much as you like - you're not stuck with the increments given on double tracing wheels. You can use it on the paper you trace on, or on the fabric. So if you want 1/4 in here and 1 inch there, the cutter bar allows for that. Good for lots of stuff (slicing bias strips etc.)

They used to sell these readily 15 yrs ago, but now it's not at Hancocks and other places. Mentioned it to them recently and they looked at me as if I were a kook. I always thought the cutter bar was at least 75% of what made the Olfa cutter so useful. "

So, heads up. If you see a rotary cutter arm somewhere, nab it. "Progress" has axed this very useful notion.

------
'Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.' Oscar Wilde

PhyllisC
starstarstarstar
PhyllisC
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 8/2/02
Send Message

Date: 8/7/07 5:47 PM

How strange. The only reason I've ever replaced one is becuase the thread stripped where the arm screws into the cutter.

I'll have to glue it in permanently when that happens again.

Thanks for the heads up!

Phyllis

------
Sewing = Fashion
http://coudremode.com/

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

utz
star
utz
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

Date: 8/7/07 5:53 PM

For those who haven't seen one, here's a picture of Olfa cutter arm

------

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 8/7/07 6:34 PM

I don't know about the rotary cutter arms...

But I will say I LOVE my new clover double seam tracer. I finally found one at Britex last week during ASG tour. Of course, after taking Susan Khalje's class...I really will only be tracing the seam allowance (VBG to anyone having taken her classes or who loved the older Burda patterns w/o allowances, like me!)

zora
zora
Intermediate
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 8/8/07 5:58 AM

Why are they discontinuing something so useful? Doesn't make any sense.
I broke my cutter arm a few months ago when i stepped on it and it took me four weeks to get a new one because my shop was out. Using the Rotary cutter was no fun at all during those four weeks!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 8/8/07 2:06 PM

I just replaced the arm for my cutter a few months ago, I am glad I got it before they disontinued it. I love it! Too bad they discontinued it. I have recommended it to several people on this website. Oh well.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

W
star
W
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/22/02
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K

Date: 8/8/07 2:31 PM

I had just read the review and had been looking around online for it and only saw it in a few places (including a canadian store on ebay that says it has 243 of them in stock). Now I'll hurry up and order one from somewhere.
-- Edited on 8/8/07 2:32 PM --

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

In reply to utz

Date: 8/9/07 4:40 PM

This is so irritating.

My guess is they are discontinuing it because of poor sales...and I would bet my LIFE that sales are poor because no-one knows the thing exists--I've NEVER seen one in Joann's, Hancock's or any of the art supply stores that seem to sell everything else Olfa. Olfa also doesn't include it in their little brochure that can usually be found near the Olfa display in those stores.

I found out about it here. And then had to order it from Joann's online--where it wasn't easy to find without knowing the Olfa item number--which someone here gave me.

Someone in marketing needs to get fired..

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
online now
Send Message

In reply to tlmck3

Date: 8/9/07 5:26 PM

Terry, you're on fire! You made me laugh because that was a perfect rant, it built momentum and ended with a slap, I could hear it. And I agree about marketing, I often wonder what are they thinking, or not thinking, and how could it possibly be that way in a big company?

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

utz
star
utz
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

In reply to tlmck3

Date: 8/10/07 1:26 PM

You're right, Olfa marketing flubbed big on this one. (Unless they didn't want to market the cutter arm so it could die a silent, invisible death.) It was nowhere on shelves. I made it a personal mission to ask often at JoAnn's (I'm glutton for punishment ) that they should carry the thing. I would explain how useful it was. One clerk (the one experienced sewer) at my local JoAnn's mustered her full condescension to say, 'I use a protractor.' and turned on her heel. I finally happened upon a regional manager breezing thru my local JoAnn's; after explaining, she said 'I didn't know Olfa carried such a thing.' but was a study in disinterest. At another fabric store, speaking to owner, was told 'They're no longer necessary because patterns have seam allowances now.'
My efforts always felt like I had just slammed my head against a brick wall. I had always thought the Olfa in combo with arm was a really nifty invention.
I really cannot understand why it's so difficult for powers- that- be to understand the utility of something that cuts a line parallel to another line, curved or straight. They'll sell something that cuts circles, cut ruled lines, but I guess dealing with curves is passe. Has someone rescinded geometry and didn't tell me?
Okay, I'm going to rest now after this rant, put a wet wash cloth on my head...

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Olfa discontinues Rotary Cutter Arm

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

New Look 6091

photo
by: slmstyle

Review
Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 5927

photo
by: Alice Wang

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.