SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > pants pull above the knees

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
pants pull above the knees
pants pull above the knees
LENA
LENA
Intermediate
International SWEDEN
Member since 10/18/07
Send Message

Date: 11/5/07 1:21 PM

My pants pull above the knees. It drags from the side towards the part just above the knee in the front.
The pants look great when Iím standing still, but it pulls when walking. Itís very uncomfortable so I need a solution.
Iíve felt this in all different types of pants from slim jeans to wide trousers, so I donít think it has anything to do with the width of the pants leg.
I donít think it has to do with the length of the crotch because it feels right. The crotch don't hang down towards the knees.
In books Iíve looked in they only write about pants pulling in the front crotch or the upper part of the thighs.
Iíve tried many different solutions, but nothing helps. Iíve added and taken off extra length to the front crotch and back crotch in different combinations. Added or taken in the side seam and the in seam of the leg.
Have I missed the right combination of changes or is it something very different?

I would be very thankful for any help. It's a big problem that I canít solve.
THANK YOU!

------
LENA

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/5/07 5:58 PM

I wonder if it has something to do with the angle of your leg?

Can you post a photo and show us where it pulls?

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

MarthaMcKeon
MarthaMcKeon
Beginner
Member since 5/26/05
Send Message

Date: 11/6/07 6:30 AM

How about taking a tuck across the front between the knee and crotch level?

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to LENA

Date: 11/7/07 12:15 PM

Quote: LENA
My pants pull above the knees. It drags from the side towards the part just above the knee in the front.

The pants look great when Iím standing still, but it pulls when walking. Itís very uncomfortable so I need a solution.

Maybe you need to add width to the front of your pant legs above the knee. Is your leg relatively thick above the knee? (compared to the rest of you)

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

CharityAK
starstar
CharityAK
Intermediate
Alaska USA
Member since 11/4/07
Send Message

Date: 11/7/07 12:42 PM

My first thought was that it had to be a grain problem, but since this is consistently a problem for you, that can't be it. Do you have enough ease on the outer, upper thigh?

Charity

------
Beginning Stash on 01/01/08 - 800 yards
Yardage Sewn in 2008 - 145 yards
Items Sewn - 92
Yardage Given Away in 2008 - 34.25
Wadder Yardage - 5 yards

TOTAL STASH REDUCTION TO DATE: 156.25 yards
DISALLOWED YARDAGE BOUGHT IN 2008 - 36 yards
CURRENT STASH: 643.75 yards

Personal Blog - Vintage Threads, http://www.vintagethreads.blogspot.com

CharityAK
starstar
CharityAK
Intermediate
Alaska USA
Member since 11/4/07
Send Message

Date: 11/7/07 12:48 PM

Still mulling this over...

I looked at your profile and noticed you listed your body type as "pear." Do you think your body width below the waist is mostly across the rear from hip bone to hip bone or in the width of the thighs? Are your side seams falling where they should down the center of your outside leg or are they pulling to the front or back?

Charity

------
Beginning Stash on 01/01/08 - 800 yards
Yardage Sewn in 2008 - 145 yards
Items Sewn - 92
Yardage Given Away in 2008 - 34.25
Wadder Yardage - 5 yards

TOTAL STASH REDUCTION TO DATE: 156.25 yards
DISALLOWED YARDAGE BOUGHT IN 2008 - 36 yards
CURRENT STASH: 643.75 yards

Personal Blog - Vintage Threads, http://www.vintagethreads.blogspot.com

Tom P
star
Tom P  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 3/16/07
Send Message

In reply to LENA

Date: 11/7/07 3:30 PM

I'm afraid you're going to have to post a picture of your legs in the pants . Can you take a photo with a pair of pants that has some texture or a print so the grain shows?

It really sounds like the pants are trying to twist on you because the grain was cut wrong. Since this happens all the time, it may be that there is something about your figure or your stance that is duplicating this behavior.

But, I think the lack of responses here (among the large number of people interested in fitting pants) indicates that there's no way for us to tell without seeing it.

xtreme1
star
xtreme1
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 11/8/07 3:14 AM

May I jump in here with what sounds like the same problem. Like Lena I find this same problem with all pants. I get bunching across the top of the front thighs (could be prominent tummy causing this) and uncomfortable pulling above the knee when taking a stride. When standing still the pants look pretty well perfect the same as Lena said.

The problem, it seems to me, is coming from the back of the pant leg. I had these wool pants made for me by a reputable dressmaker (we are not the only ones who do not understand why a problem occurs).

My feeling is that it may have something to do with a combination of a forward-sitting pelvis and a flat derriere in the first place, as fabric must be taken from the back of the pant at thigh level in order to correct bagging there. I also have high hip fluff so this may be playing a role as well.

I haven't sewn pants since the days when they were pleated in front and I suspect the pleats hid a problem that is now revealed by a flat fronted pant. A wider leg would no doubt cure the problem but I don't like wide legs in pants.

You can see here what I'm talking about. If I were to lift my leg higher there would be wrinkling all along the front thigh. It's as if there is not enough fabric at the front and so it must be forcibly borrowed from the back leg but surely there must be a way around this.

Irene Q
starstarstarstar
Irene Q  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 3/19/04
Send Message

Date: 11/8/07 11:18 AM

My pants often pull in the front thigh when I walk. This pull is symmetric - it just feels tight. It's caused by large thighs, especially ones that are large in front. Pleated pants have more room in front and are one solution. Or there are other alterations for large thighs in FFRP, etc. els has posted an alteration somewhere - I'll post a link if I can find it.

Pants that pull from the hip to the inner thigh can be caused by large inner thighs, or knock knees. (I have both! ) Sandra Betzina has an alteration for knock knees in Fast Fit. Or you can try Debbie Cook's method here.

Edited to add:

Here it isHere it is!
-- Edited on 11/8/07 11:21 AM --

xtreme1
star
xtreme1
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Irene Q

Date: 11/8/07 9:16 PM

Irene, thank you for that link. I'm hoping it holds a solution for me.

My thighs are actually quite thin (at least one pattern size smaller than the pelvic area) butnow that I study them, the tops of the thighs do look like they jut forward a little. It is now obvious to me why I get bunching across the area where leg joins trunk, compounded by a prominent tummy.

I will allow a little more front thigh room when I have time to make pants again to see if it helps with the pulling above the knees.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> pants pull above the knees

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable burdatyle handbook blouse

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
McCall's 6460

photo
by: sertyan

Review
Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.