Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Time for Thanksgiving ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Time for Thanksgiving
Cooking

Member since 12/31/69
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/6/07 12:51 PM

What are your cooking plans for Thanksgiving? Ready to start cooking?

Margasweet

Margasweet  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 2/15/05

Date: 11/6/07 4:42 PM

I make 10-15 loaves of Finnish coffee bread for my sister's concert just after Thanksgiving. Have already started, made 10 so far but forgot the salt in 4 of them so have to scrap those (amazing how important 1/2 tsp of salt in a loaf of bread is). Also have to make cookies, brownies, cupcakes...if anyone has simple cookie recipes, please let me know! I don't mind making the bread but cookies are another matter.

For Thanksgiving itself, I always make brown rice stuffing, garlicy green beans, raw cranberry relish, and 3 or 4 pies. Dinner will be at my sister- & brother-in-law's.

Marguerite

------
2007 fabric in: 7 1/2 yards; sewn: 7 yds
2008 fabric in, 23 yards; sewn 20 yds; given away 6 yds
2009 fabric in 41 1/4 yds, sewn 29 yds, given away 22 1/2 yds
2010 fabric in 91 1/2 yds, sewn 27 yds, given away 1 1/2 yds;
2011 fabric in: 55 yd.; sewn: 21 yd; given away: 20 yd
2012 fabric in: 60 1/4 yd., sewn 25 1/4 yds, given away 16 yds, thrown away 3 yds scraps; UFOs completed: 7
2013 fabric in: 28 yds; sewn: 25.7 yds.; given away: 5 1/2 yd.s; projects 8, UFOs 4

2014 fabric in: 21.5 yd
2014 fabric sewn: 7 1/2 yd
2014 fabric given away: 8 1/2 yd
2014 projects completed:
2014 projects started:
2014 UFOs completed: 8 (5 small gift bags, pieced & quilted table runner, maxi dress, silk infinity scarf)

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
PA USA
Member since 11/30/04

Date: 11/6/07 4:54 PM

Now this is my kind of thread! I love reading about what everyone prepares and eats.

Most of of our food has to be homemade because of my son's food allergy. So our list includes cranberry relish (homemade if I have time), butter rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potato puff, green bean casserole, bread stuffing, artichoke spinach dip, salad, the turkey from our local meat market, and couple of other things. Desserts are pumpkin cheese cake roll, chocolate cream pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and blueberry pie.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing/Embroidery Combo Machine: Janome MC15000. Sewing Machines: Elna 740, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Member since 12/31/69

Date: 11/6/07 5:07 PM

Reading your replies just made me even more hungry ! Have you all heard about the 3 hour Thanksgiving meal recipes on 2 hour turkey ? Would you try it?

PattiK
star
PattiK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/15/03

Date: 11/6/07 9:40 PM

We will be making a fried turkey, small one since there are only be three of us. If you have not had one you must super yummy!! With the turkey we will be having home made cranberry relish, mash potatoes with home made gravy, DH will make his yummy herb stuffing, garlic string beans, a sweet potato or two and I will probably make a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Does any one have a good recipe for apple pie? I have never made one before.

------
Patti K.

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
WV USA
Member since 4/9/02

Date: 11/7/07 4:35 AM

Here's how I feel about the whole turkey thing! Watch this!Wrestling the Turkey

Having said that, I WILL be cooking one for Thanksgiving - probably a 20 - 24 lb one - but I'll be using the old time tested 350 F temperature.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Ronda Rae
star
Ronda Rae
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 3/20/06

Date: 11/7/07 7:40 AM

I am not quite sure what I'll be cooking this year but I'd better figure it out soon, huh? This is the first year in a while that I won't be making 600 pumpkin pies and 156 pecan pies all by myself the day before. DH is in charge of that this year!

Ronda

------
I don't mind going to work but it's that 8 hour wait to go home that's a B!TCH.

Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
CA USA
Member since 7/28/03

Date: 11/7/07 11:46 AM

I always make pounds and pounds of mushroom pate. All the relatives and my close neighbors get some to take home.

Otherwise a pretty standard Thanksgiving - a 24 pound turkey to feed 18 (which I always brine the night before), cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, yams, peas, Parker House rolls, probably a pumpkin roll cake for dessert.

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
CA USA
Member since 7/28/03

In reply to annsew65

Date: 11/7/07 11:48 AM

That's a great video! And it's about the size turkey I try to get. But DH gets to wrestle it, that's his job on Thanksgiving.

Did you ever the Mr. Bean episode when he attempts to cook a turkey? I think it was actually for Christmas, as they obviously don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, but he ended up with it on his head. Hilarious!

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

TammyD
star
TammyD
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 4/4/07

Date: 11/7/07 1:16 PM

The video--The reason I don't dress that nicely to cook!! :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Time for Thanksgiving

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

New Look 6216
photo
Review by JennyQNY on 10/13/13
Read Review

SewBaby "I Can Do It" Cloth Activity Book Pattern
SewBaby

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern
You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Details
Price: $27.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Weekend getaway blouse + dress Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Weekend getaway blouse + dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Megan Nielsen Eucalypt Tank & Dress Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Eucalypt Tank & Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6644
photo
Review by kim*brown on 5/15/07
Read Review

Burda 7753 Pattern
Burda 7753 Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse & Shorts Pattern ( Size 5-12 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN