SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > I'm buying a Bernina Artista 730 this week! ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I'm buying a Bernina Artista 730 this week!
GinnyThePainter
GinnyThePainter
Intermediate
Arizona USA
Member since 1/12/05
Send Message

Date: 12/30/07 1:07 AM

If anyone has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace. I researched off and on for a year and have finally decided (I think) to get the Artista 730 on New Year's Eve. With all the rebates, sales & specials, I'll be getting the machine & full suite of software for about $6100. It's a small fortune, but as an artist, I know I'll want maximum ability to design my own embroidery.

Not a lot of high end sewing machine dealers in my town, so it was between the Viking Designer SE & Bernina 730. What made the decision:

I liked the design of the machine better. I like the windows environment. It's quieter. My killer deal at Bernina was better than the killer deal offered at Viking. The dealer has been around for 30+ years. Other negatives against the viking and viking dealer: don't want no drop-in bobbins, and don't like a sewing machine store that's also a vacuum repair place.

Of the three Bernina dealers I visited, first turned me off because they didn't know much about embroidery or software. And they were located inside a busy fabric store. At the second shop, the ladies were bitchy about the fact that it was my third time looking at machines (in the space of a year) and I hadn't settled on one yet. It also didn't seem to be a very energetic shop - more sales-oriented than creativity-oriented.

Third shop was the winner. Lots of dynamic, exciting quilting and embroidery work being done around the store. Tons of classes available. And I learned more about the machine in ten minutes at this store than I did in three visits to the other store.

With this new machine, I'm going from the dark ages (an Elna SU I dislike) to the modern ages. I will have a LOT to learn, but I'm very excited!

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to GinnyThePainter

Date: 12/30/07 2:29 PM

Ginny, are you getting Artista software at that price? if so, Editor Plus or Designer Plus? I agree this is a killer deal!
I just traded my Bernina 200 in on a 730 on Wednesday and I am in love with this machine! It is awesome. I also have the software, and I find it so easy and intuitive. I have talked to several people in my area that have other embroidery machines, but the Artista software as they like it the best. Sounds like you found a great dealer, that makes all the difference in my opinion. I cannot wait to hear how you like this machine.
(by the way, I so agree about drop-in bobbins)
Janyce

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Meredith P
star
Meredith P  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/26/03
Send Message

Date: 12/30/07 2:53 PM

That *is* a killer deal! Especially if it includes the software.

I've had my 730E since September and really love it. At first, it needed some adjustments, but now that it's been used and adjusted, I'm very happy. I think that they just do factory specs in Switzerland, and the next human to use it is me. Tension seemed to be way off for both sewing and embroidery. Now it's ever so much better.

I agree that the shop makes all the difference. You need people who are enthused and expert so that they can help you do some of the exciting stuff! I've worked my way through the Software Tutorial, until I got to digitizing, then got distracted with something else. I really want to learn to digitize and I'm signed up for a class in January.

I'm a long time Bernina owner, but my last machine is about 15 years old. I found the 730 very intuitive from that perspective, and very easy to use. Still haven't mastered the BSR, but that's my own lack of practice. Pretty short learning curve on the embroidery, once tensions were adjusted, it's been smooth sailing. Got the mega hoop for Christmas, and that has been fun.

The surprising thing is that I have not done much sewing, which is what I *used* to do exclusively. The embroidery unit and software keep calling to me

I'm sure you will love your 730, and you'll get to go to the VIP event in Chicago! I bought mine too soon.

------
Meredith
SM: Bernina 730E; Serger: Bernina 334DS; Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS,; Other equipment: Featherweight (circa 1946), Bernina Record 930, Bernina 1530, Deco 600 embroidery machine

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 12/30/07 3:15 PM

Wow, that is a good deal, plus you're saving money by purchasing on New Year's Eve. Word is there will be a price hike on Jan 2.

Barbara Mock
Barbara Mock
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 10/31/02
Send Message

Date: 12/30/07 3:28 PM

Hi Ginny,

I think you will love the software and the 730 machine. I have had Berninas for years now and have been digitizing with the software from the beginning. I am an artist too, and I love to play with the software. It has so much to offer. It has been through a bunch of upgrades. I have the 200, and it is almost the same machine, just a little older. Also, another thing we have in common, I have that little Elna SU from the olden days too! Doesn't work very well now, I think it needs a part. Good luck on your new Bernina! Barb

------
Barb Mock

pesto126

pesto126
Intermediate
Member since 11/9/05
Send Message

Subject: Im buying a Bernina Artista 730 this week! Date: 12/30/07 6:42 PM

I hope you make some cash back with this... I could buy a small car for that! :)

Meredith P
star
Meredith P  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/26/03
Send Message

Date: 1/22/08 11:53 AM

So, Ginny, tell us all about it! Did you get the 730? Is it fabulous?

------
Meredith
SM: Bernina 730E; Serger: Bernina 334DS; Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS,; Other equipment: Featherweight (circa 1946), Bernina Record 930, Bernina 1530, Deco 600 embroidery machine

Mac426

Mac426
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 1/4/04
Send Message

Subject: Im buying a Bernina Artista 730 this week! Date: 1/29/08 9:12 AM

Ginny,
Did you get your Bernina 730? I just saw your post and had the same questions as you...Viking S.E. or Bernina 730E, I'm not ruling out the Brother Duetta though.
I get the SAME thing when I go in a shop like 3-4 times a year-maybe we are going to the same dealers, are you in Ohio? That is the exact treatment I get even if I just stop to just LOOK at the newest machine because everyone refuses to give a price over the phone!
Let us know what you got!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Mac426

Date: 1/29/08 9:20 AM

Quote:
everyone refuses to give a price over the phone!

It is my understanding that this is a manufacturer rule and a dealer can lose their franchise if they quote prices over the phone.

I've heard also that the manufacturers will even send 'plainclothes spies' into dealerships that sell more than one brand, to see if a salesperson tries to sway a buyer to the 'other' brand.

I would not buy a machine from a dealer with an 'attitude.' It won't get any better if there are problems with the machine.
seneok
seneok
Member since 2/26/11
Send Message

In reply to GinnyThePainter <<

Date: 7/26/12 6:10 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if you still have the 730 and would you recommend one?
I am thinking about buying a new one as well. I have it down to two, the 730 and the Janome 11000 Special Edition.
Any input from you would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> I'm buying a Bernina Artista 730 this week!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

New Look 6823

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Simplicity 5052

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl City Bag Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.