SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 2000 DE ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 2000 DE
coverstitch?
femalecat
femalecat
Intermediate
IL
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

Date: 1/18/08 8:40 PM

I was just given a Bernina 2000DE - I have to find a plug - I have the foot pedal and no instruction book - does anyone know anything about this machine
-- Edited on 1/18/08 8:40 PM --

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to femalecat

Date: 1/19/08 0:49 AM

You might have already read the reviews on this serger here on PR but in case you haven't there are several you might wish to check out.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/19/08 0:51 AM

I have the 2500 DCET-I may be able to help you. Do you have a manual?

Not the Norm
Not the Norm
Expert/Couture
OR
Member since 12/22/07
Send Message

In reply to femalecat

Date: 1/19/08 1:03 AM

Hi femalecat,

Bernina's 2000DE isn't one of Bernina's better sergers. You said it was given to you, so if you find that it has problems, a serving by Bernina in Chicago might be a good suggestion. They come back running very well. First you need a cord. If you have a Bernina dealer near you or deal with one on the internet, they can order a cord and the instruction book which its not a great expense. If you are in the market for a new serger, the 1150 MDA is great! Simple to thread, beautiful stitch quality and nice 2-thread rolled hem for shears. Couple this with a 009DC coverstitch machine and you're set.

femalecat
femalecat
Intermediate
IL
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 1/19/08 1:08 AM

I did find two reviews which are somewhat helpful - I will talk to my local Bernina dealer tomorrow - not having a manual is a problem and it has not been touched in about 10 years

femalecat
femalecat
Intermediate
IL
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

In reply to dfsews

Date: 1/19/08 1:11 AM

I do not have a manual or a cord - I am goingn to my local
Babylock/Bernina dealer tomorrow for a seminar and I will see if they can help me out with a cord and a manual - I will take it with me so they can look it over and see if there are obvious problems - one I know of is that if there are attachments stored I sure can't find them - I have wanted a serger as my next purchase - I have a BabylockQuilter's Choice and ellegeo3 embroidery machine but I sure do want a serger- I will have to decide if it is worth the fix or just get something new - thanks for responding to my post

kmouse
star
kmouse
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 9/13/03
Send Message

In reply to femalecat
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/19/08 9:01 AM

I used to have a 2000 DCE and really liked the serger except the cover stitch was too complicated to actually use on a regular basis. Then again, it was one of the first sergers to have a cover stitch and things have changed quite a bit since then.
I believe the DE model will not have a cover stitch but one of the things I liked about it was a needle down function, free arm and auto tensions (of sorts). The threading is not really hard to do and tensions are set up for types of stitching...."A" setting is for regular overlock setting with general serger thread....."B" is similar except for specialty threads such as wooly nylon... Unfortunately, I can't remember what other settings were for.
I think you should be able to get a manual from a Bernina dealer. If not, I would check on ebay as they seem to have anything. You might even put out a request here on PR. If it hasn't been used for as long as you say (and it's probably longer), I would have it given a good clean/oil/adjust AFTER you find the manual. One or two private lessons with someone who might remember the machine would be well worth it.
I lost this serger in a house fire or I would still have it. I now have another Bernina serger and love it, but I miss the needle down and free arm features, which have not come back in more recent models.

CarolynGM
starstarstarstar
CarolynGM  Friend of PR
AR USA
Member since 3/9/03
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 1/19/08 9:18 AM

I have a 2000DE but have not reviewed it. It works great but occasionally the differential feed needs adjusting. Also, the needle up/down button fell off, but I didn't use that function much anyway.

It makes a beautiful rolled hem which I only learned how to do after I owned the serger for 12 years.

------
Carolyn

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to femalecat

Date: 1/19/08 9:30 AM

Quote: femalecat
I was just given a Bernina 2000DE - I have to find a plug - I have the foot pedal and no instruction book - does anyone know anything about this machine
-- Edited on 1/18/08 8:40 PM --

I have the Bernina 2000DE. This model does not have coverstitch function. It was the predecessor to the 2000DCE that does have coverhem/coverstitch.

The 2000DE has electronic tension adjustments. It automatically senses the thickness of the fabric and automatically adjusts the tension. It's heaven!

I have owned my 2000DE for 14 years and it is a workhorse and I rarely have to manually tweak the tension.

I love it.
Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to kmouse

Date: 1/19/08 9:33 AM

Quote: Cheryl Kim

I now have another Bernina serger and love it, but I miss the needle down and free arm features, which have not come back in more recent models.

The newer models don't have the free arm? Or needle down?? Oh my . . . I'm going to hug my 2000DE and keep it running forever, in that case.

I believe the 2000DE was made by Juki. That is what my old Bernina dealer (no retired) told me.

I have always heard complaints from the owners of 2000DCE about the coverhem feature.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 2000 DE

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Simplicity 5052

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Vogue Patterns 8414

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.