SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Vintage Universal Sewing Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vintage Universal Sewing Machine
Matthew'sMom
Matthew'sMom
Member since 10/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/11/08 7:40 PM

Has anyone heard of this sewing machine? My mom had a vintage machine in her attic. It was the machine that she used to make her wedding dress 40 years ago, and it was old then! She thought it was a Singer but it's not, it's a Universal. I'm still excited though - it's vintage and more than that it has a personal history. I found a few on ebay so that I could get an idea what they look like. I can't wait to take a look at it tomorrow. I haven't been able to find anything else about this machine on the internet though. I know Universal Sewing Machine Company is out of business. Does anyone know anything about these machines?

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

Date: 3/11/08 8:26 PM

check out Needle bar
they are a vintage sewing machine website with lots of info.lNeedleBar Vintage SM's

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 3/11/08 10:21 PM

I've got one that I picked up at a thrift store. It's from maybe the late sixties or so, a lovely two-tone green enamel paint on cast iron. Mine has straight and zigzag stitching only, which is fine. I had a devil of a time getting the tension right at first. I just could not get enough tension on the top thread. Finally took the tensioner apart and stretched out the spring to make it stronger, put back together, and it works like a dream. What with purchase price and parts, I now have $25 in it. Oh, and maybe 4 or 6 hours of labor cleaning, tuning, oiling, and tension setting. It worked great for a curtain I made, which is it's only project so far.

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

Matthew'sMom
Matthew'sMom
Member since 10/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/11/08 11:32 PM

Thanks Beebeesew for the link to Needlebar! Al, it's nice to know someone else has this machine and has actually used it! I'm giddy with excitement to see it tomorrow. I never saw myself as the vintage type of gal, but I caught the bug yesterday while researching sewing machines. I'm ready to run out to every garage sale, estate sale, and flea market I can find on Saturday to see what other beauties might be waiting for me! If only I had the room to collect them...

newsewman
newsewman
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/4/07
Send Message

In reply to Matthew'sMom

Date: 3/12/08 6:10 AM

I said i had no room too , a dozen machines latter ....soon machines will find you! enjoy the bug!

------
http://cid-ed78d046c542e086.spaces.live.com/

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to Matthew'sMom

Date: 3/12/08 10:18 AM

Deleted
-- Edited on 4/2/08 8:51 AM --

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to Matthew'sMom

Date: 3/12/08 12:40 PM

In addition to Jenny's correct information, Universal is one of the numerous brand names owned by White. White also has marketed these badged machines as Domestic, Hilton, and Standard.

Bill Holman

Matthew'sMom
Matthew'sMom
Member since 10/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/12/08 3:40 PM

Well, I got it home! It's GORGEOUS!!! There is a little bit of rust on the faceplate and some gunk buildup. The cord is in good shape but we couldn't find the foot pedal. My mom also doesn't know what happened to the case, she had it stored in a box. Some of the decal has rubbed off in spots, but overall it looks pretty good. I'm excited to clean it up, even more excited to find a pedal so I can plug her in and see how she sounds. I've downloaded the HA-1 instruction manual that I found on the VintageJapanSewingSewingMachines group (thanks Bill!). Now I just have to find out where I can get the pedal and other attachments.

newb sewer
newb sewer
Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 3/30/08
Send Message

Date: 3/30/08 7:42 PM

i have a White universal sewing machine and i have no clue how to use it. its pretty old and i have no manual is there any websites that have manuals? it turns on but everything is pretty stiff. The needle wont move.
Thanks

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

In reply to newb sewer

Date: 3/30/08 7:52 PM

Deleted
-- Edited on 4/2/08 8:51 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Vintage Universal Sewing Machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Simplicity 2588

photo
by: evilincarK...

Review
Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.