SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > BURDA WOF-- General info and tips ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
BURDA WOF-- General info and tips
put your helpful Burda hints here!
cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/17/08 11:45 AM

I am pinning this topic so it will always show up at the top of the Patterns and Notions forum.

Questions about Burda World of Fashion are so common! About once a month people post to ask, 'Where can I find Burda?' 'How do I subscribe to Burda?' How do you trace Burda patterns?' etc... I thought it might be most efficient if we could all put our general Burda information here, for all to find.

Please place specific Burda questions (i.e. about March 08's dress construction, etc) in a seperate thread.

Thanks!

I'll get us started with this list from Redhead:
Tips useful when working with Burda WOF Magazine
-and with this link to the GLP news site, where subscriptions can be ordered:
-Burda also can be ordered at Amazon.com (NAYY).Burda WOF subscription- English version

------
Cindy Lou, no more than 2
"Sew, Esmerelda! Sew like the Wind!" -Martin Short, The Three Amigos
"When inspiration calls, you don't send it to voicemail." --Will I Am.

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
International UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

Date: 3/17/08 12:37 PM

This is a great idea!

UK subscriptions are available here or here. The latter allows you to choose your own subscription length.

I've done a step-by-step photo tutorial on how I trace BWOF patterns which may help those who hate carbon tracing.

Also, I did a big side-by-side comparison of BWOF vs Patrones vs KnipMode on my site in case anyone wants to see what they get before buying.

In addition, I've listed a bunch of BWOF patterns that are now available in envelope form. So if you missed that issue or prefer included seam allowances and better instructions, you can now have them!
-- Edited on 2/18/09 8:04 AM --
-- Edited on 2/9/11 12:13 PM --

------
www.fehrtrade.com

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/17/08 12:54 PM

You can order single issues of BWOF from the following web sites:

Fashionista Fabrics
Sew Baby

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

SoftwareGoddess
SoftwareGoddess  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 9/2/05
Send Message

Date: 3/17/08 2:51 PM

Canadian subscriptions and individual issues are available here.

Cheryl

MissCelie
starstarstarstar
MissCelie  Friend of PR
Maryland USA
Member since 8/24/02
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 3/17/08 4:22 PM

Burda Easy Fashion is only available in the US from GLP in Russian and German. But, they are fully illustrated with fewer pattern peices. They are geared to beginners so the patterns tend to be simpler.
-- Edited on 4/6/08 1:52 PM --

------
Cidell
www.missceliespants.com

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 3/17/08 4:55 PM

If you happen to be in the Kitchener-Waterloo area in Ontario, K-W Book Store on King St. carries a very small number of copies of Easy Fashion (only in German) and of the German BWOF -- they had one of each when I was in last week. They also get in 6-7 copies per month of BWOF in English. They'll set aside regular copies for you, although they more or less want you to commit to buying it regularly if they set up a file for you. (Their database crashed recently, so if you're signed up to have magazines set aside there, you should give them a call and reinstate your info. ...) Oh, and on the bookshelves they have a few really old copies of BWOF -- from the 80's, perhaps? I didn't look too closely, but I think I'll have a look next time.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

MelissaB in WA
starstarstarstar
MelissaB in WA
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/18/04
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/18/08 2:53 PM

Also I understand some Borders and Barnes & Noble stores are selling individual issues. I've seen then at two different B&N stores in the Portland, OR area.

------
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~Dolly Parton

Fabric sewn in 2014 ~ 25 yards
Fabric sewn in 2013 ~ 73.5 yards

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/19/08 7:55 AM

You can call GLP News at 1-800-457-4443 to order a subscription, a single issue, or a back issue from the BWOF archives. The BWOF archives go back to January 2006. The staff at GLP is extremely helpful.

A few members here on PR also sell recent issues of BWOF in the classified ads section of this website. It may be less expensive for you to purchase a few single issues a year than to commit to a year long subscription.

If you'd like to try a Burda pattern, they're available at Joann and here on PR. Unlike BWOF, the Burda patterns do include seam allowances. A few of the fashions from BWOF become Burda patterns a few months after they appear in the magazine. The cover photo may be different, but the pattern is identical.

Swedish Pattern Tracing Material is ideal for tracing BWOF patterns. Crayola Colored Pencils work extremely well as markers because the soft leads lay down more color on the strong but wispy and almost transparent tracing material.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

reethi
starstar
reethi
Advanced Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/15/07
Send Message

Date: 3/19/08 3:32 PM

I'm not an expert on BWOF by any means, but the way I trace seemed easy, so thought I'd share. I use carbon paper - which you can find in most office supply stores. I've joined a lot of carbon paper together using tape, so now I have a huge sheet that is almost as big as the BWOF pattern sheets.

I then sandwich the BWOF sheet, the carbon paper, and regular white paper (I buy them on a roll at Ikea) and just draw on the BWOF pattern - the carbon paper transfers the pattern to the plain paper.

Hopefully, that was helpful.

Cheers,

Reethi

------
More details on my blog - http://weekendcrafting.blogspot.com

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

Date: 3/20/08 6:14 PM

If you're new to BWOF, here are some other tracing tips....

1. You can locate pattern pieces by finding their color-coded number co-ordinates on the edges of pattern sheet.
2. When you trace, before you remove the tracing paper, be sure you have transferred
a. the grainline
b. the notches (these appear as small slash marks on the seamlines)
c. the little numbers in the corners of the pattern pieces. When you sew, you will match 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.
d. all darts, center front line, buttonholes etc.

It's worth the time to check against the technical schematic in the instruction section to be sure you've included all the details. It's a real pain to try to line up your tracing again if you find you forgot something. Ask me how I know.
-- Edited on 3/20/08 8:33 PM --

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> BURDA WOF-- General info and tips

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

New Look 6516

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.