SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > How Often Do You Change The Needle? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How Often Do You Change The Needle?
Question on Needle Changing
MilongueraThreads
star
MilongueraThreads
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 11:29 AM

How often do you change the needle in your sewing machine?

I read somewhere that you're supposed to change the needle after every project, is this true?

PVA
star
PVA
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 3/28/04
Send Message

In reply to MilongueraThreads

Date: 3/24/08 11:49 AM

Hi luckysweetheart, Yes that's the current wisdom. Actually, I think it's a pretty good policy. I've been sewing for many years & when I was a kid I know my Mom, sister's & I used the same needle from one year to the next. Not a good policy!

We pay *Mega-Bucks* for our sewing machines, fabric even on sale isn't exactly cheap & making sure the needle is at the top of it's game seems to make sense to me.

I usually buy various specialty needles when I have a coupon for 40-50% off which takes out some of the sting.

FWIW, I HTH Pat

------
PVA (Pat)  "A girl can't have too many scissors!"
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 12:20 PM

That's the conventional wisdom, although I've also heard after 8 hours of sewing (which may or may not be one project).

I don't always change my sewing machine needle after every project. If it's a very small project (a head band, or a baby's pants or even a knit top that 90% sewn done on the serger) I'll use it again for another small project. I just use the common sense method--A princess seamed, lined jacket and a little girl's leggings are both sewing projects but are not equally hard on a needle.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

dollieo
dollieo
Member since 7/31/06
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 12:54 PM

I wonder who came up with that idea, the needle companies. I'd really like to know.

lilyofthevalley
starstarstar
lilyofthevalley
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/9/07
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 12:58 PM

Like Pat (PVA), I've been sewing since I was prepubescent long ago. When I was a teen, an aunt gave me her used Singer Golden Touch 'n Sew. I used the needle that was in that machine upon gifting for ... 15+ years. Unbelieveable, isn't it? But true. I sewed wools, knits, corduroys, denims, satins, silks. I even helped my mother reupholster our sofa. The machine had decorative stitch capable via cams that were inserted in the top of the machine. Change the needle? Nope; it never even occurred to me I should.

The needle finally broke when I was in post grad school and sewing a thick naugahyde (think flannel backed vinyl) cover for a friend's Marshall amp for his rock band.

Now that I'm civilized and have computerized SMs, I change my needle at a decent interval, and switch needles for the appropriate fabric. Change the needle after every project? No, but I rarely sew on the same needle for more than ... about 5-6 hrs of sewing time. So that's quite an advancement over 15yrs, right?

I now have multiple SMs and sergers and can't keep track of how long the needle(s) have been in a machine, so I regularly move thru the room and change all needles on all machines.

Ideally, change your needle very frequently. And of course, immediately change your needle when you're having any irregular stitching or any thread problems, even if the needle has been in your machine only 10 minutes. --Lily

------
Lily

Twinset
starstarstarstar
Twinset  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec Canada
Member since 9/15/07
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 1:01 PM

Hi!

I read in an article that we should change the needle after every 4 hours of sewing, so this is pretty much equivalent to a medium-length project...

Personally I use the best needles I can (Schmetz) and change the needle often, so I have a better stitch quality, even stitching, less skipped stitches, etc.

------
http://www.jazz-couture.blogspot.com/
Before joining PR: 1 sewing machine
Since joining PR: 6 sewing machines, kilometers of stash and tons of fun

RuthieSews
starstarstar
RuthieSews
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/1/06
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 1:02 PM

I must admit to only changing the needle if it seems to be causing a problem (catching the fabric) or I break it sewing over a pin.
OK now send over the sewing machine police!!

------
Sewing in Derbyshire, England
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/

LouisaP
LouisaP
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/24/08 1:18 PM

The frequency of my needle changes is in direct proporation to the value of the fabric I'm sewing or the importance of the project I'm working on.

If I'm starting a commission for a flower girl's dress, or a first communion gown, the very first thing I do is change the needles on my sewing machine and my serger. Too expensive to mess up the fabric due to a burr on a needle.

Ditto if I'm making a figure skating costume in a hurry - I don't have time to waste on crises caused by a dull needle.

But if I'm just sitting down to cobble together a couple baby bibs for my sister, or stitch together a tote bag because I'm bored, I'll use the universal needle in my machine, provided that it's the right weight.

I do make it a rule to use Universal needles for wovens and Stretch for lycra fabrics, and I'll admit to recycling the stretch needles a lot, since skating dresses are fairly small items.

And I certainly don't toss my expensive twin needles after a single use - I've been using the same ones for years!

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/24/08 1:27 PM

I had to mend my son's jacket hood a couple weeks ago. I checked that the thread in the machine was close enough to the hood colour and stitched up the 8 inch seam. I did not even check the type of needle in the machine.

So the needle in my machine stays there until I have a bigger project. At that time I will wind several bobbins and change the needle.

Much of my sewing is on my serer and I rarely change those needles unless there is a problem. The coverstitch needs special needles and I am more careful of them. I do not want to mess up a garment when I get to the hem.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to RuthieSews

Date: 3/24/08 1:36 PM

Quote: RuthieK
I must admit to only changing the needle if it seems to be causing a problem (catching the fabric) or I break it sewing over a pin.

OK now send over the sewing machine police!!

That's basically what I do too. Or if I'm sewing a different type of fabric that requires a different needle.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> How Often Do You Change The Needle?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 1949

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Ottobre Design Magazine 03-2011-21

photo
by: A Beginner...

Review
SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.