SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Dressmaker Deluxe 1000 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dressmaker Deluxe 1000
How old is it and where do I get info on it?
jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

Date: 5/26/08 10:54 AM

I found a Dressmaker Deluxe push button zig zag Model No. SWM-1000 at a thriftsale for $5 so I had to get it even though I absolutely know nothing about it. The gal selling it was about 30 and she said it was her grandmother's machine. It didn't have a manual either. It's a two tone machine with the main color a baby blue with a very very light blue that almost looks white. It was manufactured by Matsushita in Japan the metal plate by the motor says: AC and DC up to 75 cycles 115v-130w-130AMPS zig zag machine. Is this a heavy duty machine able to handle canvas? I was also wondering if anyone knows how old this is? I have looked on a few sites with no luck could someone help or tell me where to look. It also has three buttons on the front that you push down. One says down and that puts the feed dogs down one says silk is this for light or delicate fabric? It only goes half way up. And the next button is up and the feed dogs come the rest of the way up. The machine is really heavy. I just had to weigh it and it says it is 34 pounds. Is this heavy or average for an old machine? Do you think I did okay? Sister, who doesn't sew, just about died when I got excited when I seen it. When I brought it home DD asked DBI if he seen the machine. He said, "I seen the outside, I think that's all I needed to see." Just like getting a new toy.

newsewman
newsewman
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/4/07
Send Message

In reply to jewelsfashions

Date: 5/26/08 11:10 AM

go to needlebar.com they have a very good gallery there.you can match up your machine. if i had to guess your machine may be made in the 60's or 70's and sold by a department type store.Not bad machines,but not really made for heavy canvas or leather, some can do the heavy stuff just not all the time. if you like the machine and it does what you need then you got a great deal.remember to check the wires for hazards and oil moving parts & clean the lint from the feed dogs. then enjoy an(possible) all metal machine

------
http://cid-ed78d046c542e086.spaces.live.com/

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/26/08 2:30 PM

Back in the 1960s and probably into the 70s, there were a couple of outfits, including City Sewing Machine Co., of Marysville, KS, who mail ordered machines by sending out phony contests that anyone could get right, and then informing almost all entrants that they had "won second prize," which was a coupon for (supposedly) $200 off on a new SM, the majority of which were sold as Dressmakers. The SWM 1000 was one of the earlier ones, but a quick search showed up this action against one of these outfits at a later date, in which City SM Co is mentioned. http://www.usps.com/judicial/1977deci/5-64.htm

The machines were simply cheap Japanese machines, that were worth about what people paid for them after they cashed in their supposedly valuable coupon.

Bill Holman

newsewman
newsewman
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/4/07
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 5/26/08 4:27 PM

a scam , even before e-bay!!

------
http://cid-ed78d046c542e086.spaces.live.com/

jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 5/26/08 6:36 PM

Thank you! Very interesting. I looked up the site you gave me and read through it. Under exception 12 they talk about the dressmaker 2400 or sewing machines substantialy identical thereto. Mine clearly says it is a dressmaker 1000. So, do you think it was still part of this scam?
I tried it out on Jeans folded over three times in the hemed area and it went through it. That is the only purpose I got it. I didn't want to push my good machine to do heavy sewing jobs. If it last just a few times it was only $5.00.
Anyone else with a little more help?
-- Edited on 5/26/08 6:39 PM --

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

Date: 5/26/08 8:07 PM

"..they talk about the dressmaker 2400 or sewing machines substantialy identical thereto. Mine clearly says it is a dressmaker 1000. So, do you think it was still part of this scam? I tried it out on Jeans folded over three times in the hemed area and it went through it."

Note in my previous message that I pointed out that the 1000 was a far earlier model. They used it for quite a while, and then there was a SWA 2000 that was used as well. These old Japanese machines are not very sophisticated, but they are tough, and will usually keep plugging along with very little maintenance.

Bill Holman

jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 5/27/08 9:57 AM

I guess I thought you were saying that my machine could have been in an earlier phony contest. Because you mentioned that in the 60's and into the 70's some companys did phony contests. And, then you mentioned mine was "one of the earlier ones". Thank you for clearing this up for me.

KCCUTUPS
KCCUTUPS
Member since 1/11/11
Send Message

Date: 1/11/11 2:33 PM

Know its quite a while since these postings. I won mine from the Missouri state fair in 1969. I have sewn all my clothes, quilts, baby things for numerous children. Jeans everything since then. I have no problems with it. I was looking for the manuel for it. It was stolen & recovered & I need to get the tension back to where it should be. It works when the electronic ones do not last.

SansSouci572
star
SansSouci572
Advanced
California USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to KCCUTUPS

Date: 1/11/11 3:21 PM

Go to the yahoo group Japanese vintage sewing machines; you will find info there--

------
"What you WANT is irrelevant, what you've CHOSEN is at hand." --Mr. Spock

burlew
burlew
Member since 6/19/11
Send Message

Date: 6/19/11 4:30 PM

I'm looking at the 2008 date on your note, and here it is June 19, 2011. Time flys, but I was delighted to find your message. I bought the exact same make and model for $10.00 (in a stand that needs refinished but is in excellent shape) We loaded it in the trunk of our vintage Lincoln Town Car, and I thought I would "go on-line", find the machine manual and start sewing. (I have 3 feather weight Singers and one Singer Professional (also made in Japan, and I have never found a manual for it!) All four machines sew forward and backward. I also have an baby lock serger and Bernette Deco 500 (I don't know how to use the serger of the embroidering machine---but they both have a manual!) .
To make a long story short, I cannot find a manual for the Dress Maker Delux Zig Zag model SWM-1000 Serial #167891.
That is how I discovered you and signed up for Pattern Review.com. I am so hoping that you did find a manual for yours, and that you will feel sorry for me, and e-mail me! Mine is cream and beige and looks brand new. I'm a quilter, and machine piece on the featherweights (each with their own thread color, of course, and often their own blocks as well). This 1000 is my first zig zag machine. I really am excited to find it, and am anxious for news from you

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Dressmaker Deluxe 1000

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Kwik Sew 3880

photo
by: Home Grown...

Review

Pattern

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

More Info
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

More Info
Pamela's Patterns #104

photo
by: PattyE

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.