SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Do you belong to a fabric co-op? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you belong to a fabric co-op?
Looking for a new one to join
diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/28/08 9:52 PM

Currently I belong to 3 fabric co-ops. One is Fabrics and Notions, which is a good one and quite a few PR members belong to. I also belong to the Joy of Sewing, which is pretty good too, especially for patterns and kids fabric. And
I belong to one more, that I buy comtemporary designer cottons from, that's the one I need to replace. It's had quite a bit of drama, and the owner will be closing it soon.
I've heard horror stories of people never getting their fabric, so I want to hear from from other co-op members, to help me find a new one.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

angie.a
starstar
angie.a
Intermediate
OK USA
Member since 1/18/03
Send Message

In reply to diane s
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/29/08 6:58 AM

Diane, I belong to a couple that order designer quilting cottons and knits. I haven't seen any drama on either one, but then I haven't been paying attention the past month either! LOL. I scanned the recent messages and everything looks to be normal operations, so I'll go ahead and give you the names and you can check into them!

Fabric Co-Op.Com

Sew Many Fabrics

------
When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. --Henry J. Kaiser

http://jemimabean.blogspot.com/

jeanbluecat
star
jeanbluecat
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 10/4/05
Send Message

Date: 5/29/08 7:30 AM

I stumbled across this thread and I have a question about fabric co-ops. I have heard of food co-ops, but not sure how or why a fabric co-op might be desired.

Just curious, I don't want to miss a good thing if it has to do with sewing, LOL

Deb

------
I sew, therefore I am.

angie.a
starstar
angie.a
Intermediate
OK USA
Member since 1/18/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/29/08 7:48 AM

Deb, the 2 I belong to work like this: The owner of the coop has a tax id & buying account with several manufacturers (Free Spirit, Michael Miller, etc. ). She posts pictures of the line for the "buy" on the yahoo group, along with yardage $$ (typically $5.50 for designer quilting cotton) plus any cutting fees ($2 per order, for example). Then she sets up a database in the yahoo group, where each member interested in the different prints can enter their name, contact info, which print they want and how much yardage. After a bolt is "full" (15 yards ordered), either that print is deleted from the picture database, OR if it's a partial bolt left over near the end of the order period, then a call may be put out for others to order to fill the bolt. (Otherwise, that bolt will not be ordered.)

There's a payment date (before ordering). You have to pay in full for your order (minus shipping sometimes) before she can order. The owner then orders the bolts, and we WAIT for them to come in. I know for the Sew Many Fabrics coop, they order 2-3 months in advance usually, so you may wait 8-12 weeks for fabric. When the fabric comes in, the owner cuts, packages & ships the orders to everyone.

Hope that helps! It can be a money-saver, if you don't mind waiting a long time for the fabrics to actually arrive. I know a lot of people who belong to the ones I do, are using the fabrics for garments to sell, but don't necessarily have a tax id or buyer's account so can't order wholesale. It's nice in that case, because you get the discount, but only have to order 1 yard if that's all you need!

------
When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. --Henry J. Kaiser

http://jemimabean.blogspot.com/

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

Date: 5/29/08 8:04 AM

I know some people like fabric coops, but I've tried them, and I don't understand their appeal. The user group websites are clumsy and cumbersome, the offerings are ordinary, the discounts are minimal, and it takes months to receive an order. There so many faster, cheaper, and better online alternatives.
-- Edited on 5/29/08 8:17 AM --

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

SexiSadi
starstarstar
SexiSadi  Friend of PR
Advanced
SC USA
Member since 5/10/05
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001

Date: 5/29/08 8:27 AM

Quote: nancy2001
I know some people like fabric coops, but I've tried them, and I don't understand their appeal. The user group websites are clumsy and cumbersome, the offerings are ordinary, the discounts are minimal, and it takes months to receive an order. There so many faster, cheaper, and better online alternatives.
-- Edited on 5/29/08 8:17 AM --

Not to be a downer in this thread, but that's the feeling I got too. I thought that I clearly must be missing something becuase I just didn't get it.

------
http://theramblingsoftcm.blogspot.com/
Numbers for 2013:
Yards in stash: 606.25
Yards in: 22.75
Yards out: 10.50

Numbers for 2012:
594.00 yards in stash
4 yards in
10.25 yards out

Numbers for 2011:
601.25 yards in stash (I'm sure this number is off by a few yards)
Yards in: 137.50 (Seriously? I'm over 100, and it's only JULY? Ugh!)
Yards out: 88.75

WendyGR
star
WendyGR
Advanced Beginner
MI USA
Member since 1/27/08
Send Message

Date: 5/29/08 9:53 AM

Yeah, I joined a bunch when I first started sewing but then I realized that by the time fees & shipping were applied, I can get just as good of a deal at my local fabric store (and it's often the same merchandise). Plus I get to feel better about supporting a locally-owned business. However, I'm sure if I went through more fabric it would be more cost-saving.

------
http://thelocalcook.com

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to angie.a

Date: 5/29/08 1:12 PM

Thank you ! That's what I needed. Do you know where they are located?
I live near Portland Oregon, home to lots of fabric stores that I support, but I have found great things on my co-ops that I can't find locally. For instance my daughter wants a baby nursery done in Alexander Henry's Juicy Jungle. I have not been able to find the primary colorway anywhere and was able to order six yards from my co-op for $5.50 a yard.
FAbrics and Notions has had custom milled powerdry in lucious colors. I was also able to buy petersham by the roll and Riri zippers at a good discount.
Another co-op offered Liberty of London prints at $10.00 a yard, and another has Swedish Tracing Paper discounted.
Somtimes I go 6 months before I order anything, but I love having the resource.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

jeanbluecat
star
jeanbluecat
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 10/4/05
Send Message

Date: 5/30/08 7:03 AM

Thank you for the information.

I have to explore anything that may make my sewing more fun and interesting. I am funny though, I am willing to wait to own an article of clothing until I can make it; it may take weeks before I have it complete and can actually wear it. That kind of delayed gratification is okay, but to wait a long time just to get the fabric, I am not sure that would appeal to me.

Thanks anyway!
Debra

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

In reply to diane s

Date: 5/30/08 10:01 AM

Quote: diane s
Another co-op offered Liberty of London prints at $10.00 a yard

OK, I'll bite! Which one had the Liberty prints and do they do it often? Such luscious stuff...

I'll be off to Portland next Tuesday to drop a friend off at the airport and hope to drop in on a fabric shop -- any suggestions of something in that area?

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Do you belong to a fabric co-op?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Japanese Pattern Books Japanese Pattern Books

photo
by: MariannaSe...

Review
Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

Buy Now
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now
New Look 6130

photo
by: Bootzey

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.