SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Ball pockets upside down on tennis shorts ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ball pockets upside down on tennis shorts
Kwik sew - pattern, should they really be that way?
Johanna Lu
starstar
Johanna Lu  Friend of PR
Advanced
SWEDEN
Member since 11/3/03
Send Message

Date: 6/4/08 11:53 AM

I am making a pair of tennis shorts from Kwik sew 3341. The shorts has pockets for tennis balls, but they are upside down! With an elastic sewn into the edge (to keep the balls from falling out perhaps?) I've only played tennis for a year and a half, and hasn't bought or examined any tennis clothes yet. Is this a common solution on tennis shorts?

------
http://thelaststitch.blogspot.com

lilyofthevalley
starstarstar
lilyofthevalley
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/9/07
Send Message

In reply to Johanna Lu

Date: 6/4/08 12:22 PM

Quote: Johanna Lu
I am making a pair of tennis shorts from Kwik sew 3341. The shorts has pockets for tennis balls, but they are upside down! With an elastic sewn into the edge (to keep the balls from falling out perhaps?) I've only played tennis for a year and a half, and hasn't bought or examined any tennis clothes yet. Is this a common solution on tennis shorts?

Johanna,
Yes, this is the common method that RTW tennis shorts (under-shorts) configure the ball pocket. And yes, the 'plan' is that you put the tennis ball into that little pocket and the elastic keeps it from falling out.

In reality, I (and most tennis players) just stick the tennis ball in the under-shorts between the fabric and your thigh. So, when I make tennis under-shorts, I just skip the little ball pocket entirely. But if you choose to make and use the ball pocket, make it as your illustration shows. --Lily

------
Lily

Linda E.
star
Linda  E.
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 4/23/02
Send Message

Date: 6/4/08 12:25 PM

here is some RTW ones like that

Johanna Lu
starstar
Johanna Lu  Friend of PR
Advanced
SWEDEN
Member since 11/3/03
Send Message

Date: 6/4/08 12:56 PM

Lily and Linda, thank you for your swift replies! Very assuring, at first when I saw the lines for the pocket placement I thought that the pattern was drafted wrong.

I am curious to see if I will like these pockets. I did a first attempt at tennis shorts a month ago, just improvising and they didn't work at all, too wide and the whole mesh fabric in-seam pocket went out every time I picked a ball from them. I was soo annoyed with them the whole time I played. Now I hope for better luck, using a proper tennis short pattern.

------

LauraTS
star
LauraTS
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/4/08 5:55 PM

It's a lot faster to put balls in and out of an elasticized pocket with the opening at the bottom, than a regular pocket. They really do work well, if you get the size and elastic right. That's the way all of my RTW tennis undershorts used to be made.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

cgHipp
cgHipp  Friend of PR
Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 11/8/06
Send Message

In reply to lilyofthevalley

Date: 6/4/08 8:14 PM

Quote: lilyofthevalley
In reality, I (and most tennis players) just stick the tennis ball in the under-shorts between the fabric and your thigh. So, when I make tennis under-shorts, I just skip the little ball pocket entirely. But if you choose to make and use the ball pocket, make it as your illustration shows. --Lily

Same here - the pockets aren't worth the bother. It's so much easier to tuck the ball under the edge of the shorts. I keep meaning to rip them out of the shorts I have them in.

------
I rip what I sew.

Johanna Lu
starstar
Johanna Lu  Friend of PR
Advanced
SWEDEN
Member since 11/3/03
Send Message

Date: 6/5/08 4:21 AM

Laura and cgthipp, thanks for your takes on the pockets. The suggested elastic tension was to loose and the balls fell out, so I had to make it more tight. Hopefully I got it right. I will test drive them on Saturday and then review the shorts since the there are only reviews of the skort version of this pattern on PR.

------

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/5/08 6:55 AM

Thanks for posting this pattern #/thread. I will show this to DD#1, although she is such a clothing snob. I told her about the tennis shorts/skorts and rebuffed me when I mentioned something about making them. She's going to tennis camp in two weeks and has been checking out tennis apparel online. Maybe she'll come around to mom making some of these.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

jhansby
star
jhansby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 6/5/08 7:30 PM

concur with the others....this is a standard ball pocket, although I also prefer to just tuck the ball under my shorts...the pockets show "bumps" on the tighter fitting shorts....my fav Nike skirts have no pockets. I do have a tennis friend though whose legs get irritated from the ball so she has to have ball pockets.

lilyofthevalley
starstarstar
lilyofthevalley
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/9/07
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom

Date: 6/5/08 8:43 PM

Quote: ryan's mom
Thanks for posting this pattern #/thread. I will show this to DD#1, although she is such a clothing snob. I told her about the tennis shorts/skorts and rebuffed me when I mentioned something about making them. She's going to tennis camp in two weeks and has been checking out tennis apparel online. Maybe she'll come around to mom making some of these.

Ryan's Mom,
Knowing that teens are pretty hard to persuade and with no attempt to serve as her role model (at all!), I hope she'll give you a chance to 'show your stuff.' Please tell her that I played USTA tennis for many years and played on teams that often went as far as Nationals. Naturally, I made all my own tennis clothes and for two consecutive years, made the outfits for my entire team (with lots of measuring and cutting help from team members).

Often, in very contentious matches, the only kind words exchanged across the net were those of (some of) our competitors admiring our tennis outfits and asking which manufacturer produced them. At our 2nd year at Nationals, one of the apparel manufacturers asked us to pose for a team picture - not for the excellence of our tennis, but for the style of our clothes.

As for you (should she concede), I know that you have occasional access to the NY garment district. Many, many of the small jumbled shops on 39th and some on 38th street carry end-of-the-roll quantities of the Genuine fabrics of the top apparel manufacturers - particularly Nike. Look in the back of the shops on the skinny rolls near the floor level. Dirt cheap, also dirt 'dirty' but wonderful treasures - particularly for a teen who probably wants *exactly* what all the other girls are wearing.

Hope this works for you, and her. The cost of tennis apparel is criminal, and your sewing/designing skills are far in excess of those creating the mundane offerings seen on most courts. --Lily

------
Lily

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Ball pockets upside down on tennis shorts

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6140

photo
by: Crystal Pl...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.