SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > NEW to PatternReview? > Practice Your Quotes and Replies ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Practice Your Quotes and Replies
A place to try out PR's features
frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/18/08 11:30 AM

Since people are often asking how to use some of the buttons on the message board, and even how to find some of the buttons, I thought I would start a thread to give people a place to try them out.

To post a message on a thread, you can use the quick reply box at the bottom of the page, or you can click "Post a New Message" at the top of the thread.

If you want to "reply" to a particular person's message, click "Reply" at the top of their message.

If you click "Post a New Message" or "Reply" or "Quote", you get a reply box with all sorts of cool features. You get smilies, html buttons that you can bold, italicize, or underline your responses. You get an http button that you can use to post links, a quote button that you can use to create the white quote boxes that you see, and an image button. There's also an email button that I have never used, so I don't know how it works.

If you use the "Reply" button on someone else's post, your reply will actually say that it is a reply to them.

If you use the "Quote" button on someone else's post, your reply to them will have their post in a white quote box. That's harder to explain than to actually do. :)

A quick lesson on html code. If you want to bold, italicize or underline your words the process is the same here. Click the B button. The following will show up in your text box: < b >
(but there will be no spaces between the symbols and the letter b. I had to put the spaces in to show the example). Then you type the text that you want to be bold and then click the B button again. This will show up in your text box: < / b >
(once again I had to put the spaces in for the example).

This works exactly the same for the Italicize button and the Underline button, and actually the Quote button also. What you type must be between the < b > and the < / b >.

I hope some of this helps. Anyway feel free to try these out on this thread.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to frame

Date: 7/18/08 11:38 AM

Quote:
... There's also an email button that I have never used, so I don't know how it works. ...

I also don't know how to use the Image button, so if anyone wants to explain that, please do.

The Link button has been explained lots of times, but just as a refresher...

If you click the http:// button, a popup text box appears which gives you a place to post a link. By default, http:// is already typed in the box. I just backspace over it and put in my link. You only want http:// in the box one time.

When you click ok, another text box pops up and here is where you can type in whatever words you want to be clickable. In other words, whatever words you want to lead to your link.

I hope this helps. If I haven't explained this clearly, please ask and either I or someone else here will be glad to try another explanation.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 7/18/08 12:28 PM

This topic has been moved from Miscellaneous to NEW to PatternReview?

------
Cindy Lou, no more than 2
"Sew, Esmerelda! Sew like the Wind!" -Martin Short, The Three Amigos
"When inspiration calls, you don't send it to voicemail." --Will I Am.

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to frame

Date: 7/18/08 12:37 PM

To insert an image:
Copy the URL address of your image.
Click the Image button & paste the URL address.

Here it is:

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400

Date: 9/13/08 9:20 AM

It should also be noted that if you are using the Image button, then the URL you use should end in .jpg.

So how do you get a URL for an image?

Right-click or CTRL+click on the picture you want to copy, and select "Copy Image Location". If this option does not display, it's possible that the owner of the image does not want you to copy it.

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 9/13/08 10:14 AM

Great idea! People can try the smilies as well.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Rita K
Rita K
Advanced
Member since 9/22/05
Send Message

In reply to frame

Date: 9/13/08 1:23 PM

Thanks for this thread.

So, I tried to add photos to a post & it didn't work. I'll try again here & see if I succeed.

Swimsuit Sew Along:

Let's see what happened. . .

ETA Nope, nada
I tried to get a photo from my FoPR photo album.
Do I have to 'copy image location from my album page before I click on "Image" in my post? That's what I tried, but when I clicked on 'paste' it just put in HTML as you see.

When I click on 'Image' first, I don't have the url & can't use the boxes that come up.

Computers & ME - aaarrrgghh!
-- Edited on 9/13/08 1:29 PM --
-- Edited on 9/13/08 1:30 PM --
-- Edited on 9/17/08 9:24 PM --

Flying Seamstress
star
Flying Seamstress  Friend of PR
Advanced
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/5/08
Send Message

In reply to frame

Date: 9/17/08 8:49 PM

Quote: Linscee
Since people are often asking how to use some of the buttons on the message board, and even how to find some of the buttons, I thought I would start a thread to give people a place to try them out.

Better late to the party than never! I'm just now starting to use the message board so I'm glad to find this topic. Now I get to practice!

Inserting an image:

Inserting a link:
Faced Fly Front Tutorial

Thanks SO much, this is very helpful!

Gail
Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02
Send Message

In reply to Rita K

Date: 9/17/08 9:15 PM

1. Find your image and "Copy image location" as described above.
2. Come back to your post and click on the Image button.
3. CTRL+V to paste in the location. (Command+V on Macs)
4. Finish writing your post
5. Post message.

Rita K
Rita K
Advanced
Member since 9/22/05
Send Message

In reply to Everyday Sewist

Date: 9/17/08 9:32 PM

Thank you!!

I went back to my post & edited it to add a photo. You made it simple & doable for me. that's what i needed.

Large problemphoto is HUGE.
I tried to resize, but that didn't work either.

I have messed with the size of my 3 photos, & when I click on them they minute in the extreme (0x0) & I can't get it to change.

TIA for any help.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. NEW to PatternReview? >> Practice Your Quotes and Replies

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 2181

photo
by: Aurelie

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Trio T-Shirt, Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Trio T-Shirt, Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.