Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sew Alongs > UFO support group ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
UFO support group
the finish sewing-along
Ellee

Ellee
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/10/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/17/08 11:58 AM

I'm not sure if this topic will get off the ground or not, but here's a try!
I have a big ol' stash of UFOs which I need to finish or toss.
This finish sewing-along is about UFO's so add new rules, subtract rules, modify rules, anything to get those UFO's done!

My personal rules are:

1. 'Finish' means complete the piece or accept that it's a wadder! The point is to get that pile of half-finished items out of limbo.

2. I will finish my at least 2 UFOs AND review them before I start any ONE other project.

3. If i decide it's a wadder I will toss it OR decide that the fabric will be salvaged to be something else. If it's something else I will cut the fabric up, toss it in a ziplock, and label it thusly.

4. If I'm unsure if an item is a wadder or not, I will post a pic/description and solicit feedback.

5. I will get at least (X amount of) UFOs done (y amount of time).

6. I will post my non-successful UFOs also.

7. I'll add reviews in a timely manner.

OK! My plan is to get two unlined jackets settled. One is a from a vintage spencer jacket pattern I found online. It's the first pattern I tried to resize/reinterpret using my duct tape dress form. I need to add facings, collar, buttons. It's coming along so-so and may end up in the trash.

The second is a copy of a short sleeved RTW jacket I have with long sleeves. I need to finish the collar, hem, and buttons.

I have time tonight, so I hope I get them done. If not, I'll aim for tomorrow afternoon.
-- Edited on 9/18/08 8:47 AM --

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08

In reply to Ellee

Date: 9/17/08 6:04 PM

I can't commit to finishing two projects a week but I'm loving this idea!! I already have two UFO's and I've only been back to sewing for about a month!

Great idea!

------
Mary

Re Becca
starstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/12/05

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

In reply to marymary86

Date: 9/17/08 6:30 PM

I think that it is a great idea! If you only have 2 UFO's you are very fortunate to start now and put a stop to it. I have no sewing room power yet, and I have already been told that I can't hook my sewing machine up to the generator. That hasn' t kept me from cutting out!

Off the top of my head I have: 1 pr dress pants that need the waistband finished and the hems. At least 1 jacket that needs finished.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

mandeedee

mandeedee
Beginner
NC USA
Member since 5/30/08

In reply to Ellee

Date: 9/17/08 11:12 PM

I only have two unfinished outfits because I have a rule that I cannot buy more fabric for my stash until I sew something into an outfit. But I have a swimsuit.....and a 50's retro Butterick pattern (my mother wore this dress to Bingo)....that are cut but not put together. I will play if I do not have to finish two a week. I am a single mother who has a high pressure job. I sew an hour an evening and on weekends. One in two weeks is fast for me.

------
I sew....I rip....I create.

G_l_e_n_d_a
star
G_l_e_n_d_a
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 5/11/05

Date: 9/18/08 0:02 AM

Great idea. I really need this as I have a horrible habit of starting and not finishing things. Count me in!

The first thing I need to do is go through everything, pull out all my UFO projects, and list them all with a target date to complete. Until I know what I have, I'm not ready to commit to a schedule.

I will, however, commit to posting my list of UFOs by Monday 22-Sep-08. Just the process of doing this may eliminate some of them if I decide now to officially abandon them.

Oh, and I will be including mending and alteration projects as well as non-garment projects such as a stuffed turkey I started on for a Thanksgiving decoration several years ago... Hope that's OK!

Glenda

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
FRANCE
Member since 6/24/07

Date: 9/18/08 8:17 AM

This is an interesting idea. I don't have many ufos but those I do have been hanging around for a while. Maybe we could award each other a for each one dispatched.

Ellee

Ellee
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/10/08

In reply to mandeedee

Date: 9/18/08 8:51 AM

Quote: mandeedee
I only have two unfinished outfits because I have a rule that I cannot buy more fabric for my stash until I sew something into an outfit. But I have a swimsuit.....and a 50's retro Butterick pattern (my mother wore this dress to Bingo)....that are cut but not put together. I will play if I do not have to finish two a week. I am a single mother who has a high pressure job. I sew an hour an evening and on weekends. One in two weeks is fast for me.

I edited the '2 in a week' rule. Most of my UFOs are either need things like buttons and hems or really need to be put to rest!

The retro dress sounds very cute!!
Ellee

Ellee
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/10/08

In reply to G_l_e_n_d_a

Date: 9/18/08 8:53 AM

Stuffed turkeys are welcome too! I'm going through my wardrobe for the season change. My mending is in a color-sorted pile close to my machine, so I can fix stuff up while I have a certain color thread in there.

Ellee

Ellee
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/10/08

Date: 9/18/08 8:59 AM

I envy the 2 UFO people! Sometimes I let them 'age' and feel less bad about tossing them later. Especially after I make something better in quality. I'm in spring cleaning mode right now, so I got a few things done. My progress last night and this morning was:

* The spencer jacket was really more of a muslin, and I zigzag'ed most of it. Easier to cut a new one. I salvaged a few squares as they would make nice contrast to a totebag I plan on later. Noted on pattern that it needed a lining next time around.
* Tossed out a muslin for another project that I kept for no reason.
* Bias strip to finish bottom of vest.
* Made list of buttons I need for vest, lace top, other jacket. Will make button pilgrimage later today.

G_l_e_n_d_a
star
G_l_e_n_d_a
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 5/11/05

Date: 9/18/08 11:07 AM

Working on going through my sewing closet to inventory all my UFOs... I selected several items to go to Goodwill, and determined another 5 are going to get cut up for fabric re-use. Already feels like a victory of sorts!

Rather than set a number of items to complete per week, I am leaning towards designating a certain amount of time on specific days to work on them. Right now I'm thinking one hour each on Tues, Wed, and Thurs for repairs and alterations and a larger block of time on Mondays for bigger projects.

I love your idea of grouping things by thread color - that wouldn't have occurred to me but I can see how it could be a great way to save time. Thanks!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> UFO support group

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Oliver + S Red Riding Hood
photo
Review by justinsbri... on 11/19/12
Read Review

Maria Denmark Pernille Pencil Dress Digital Pattern Size C
Maria Denmark Pernille Pencil Dress Digital Pattern Size C

Details
Price: $10.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Lily Bird Studio Maddie's Dress Digital Pattern
Lily Bird Studio Maddie's Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.90
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Other 1203
photo
Review by JEF on 8/11/12
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8947 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Vogue 8947 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $25.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6477 Pattern ( Size )
McCalls 6477 Pattern ( Size  )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN