SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Finishing princess seams in doubleknit dress ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Finishing princess seams in doubleknit dress
Want a flat appearance from the front
LindsayT
starstarstar
LindsayT
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/2/07
Send Message

Date: 10/13/08 3:27 PM

Hi all... I am making an LBD in black doubleknit. It has princess seams in the front and back, and will be lined. Right now I have 1" princess seams that I have pressed open, using a tailor's ham, and they look great.

My question is this: How do I keep the seams lying flat and open? I don't want to topstitch them open, because that will make the dress look too sporty, IMO. I fear that stitching 1/4" away from the seam and then trimming will create too much bulk. Anyone know how princess seams would be handled in a case like this? Thanks!

Rosebeee
star
Rosebeee
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 10/16/07
Send Message

In reply to LindsayT

Date: 10/13/08 4:04 PM

The problem, I assume, is that once the lining is in place you won't be able to get to the seams to re-iron them flat.

Maybe some sort of fusible web would work? That should keep the seams as flat as the day you ironed them. :)

That's the only thing I can think of, if you don't want to do any top-stitching.

I like to make garments with princess seams (easier for me to fit), so I'm eager to see what other folks suggest.

------
Becca
My blog: rosebee.dreamwidth.org
So much fabric & patterns to fantasize about, so little time to sew!!

loohoo44
star
loohoo44
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 2/25/07
Send Message

In reply to LindsayT

Date: 10/13/08 4:40 PM

Hmm, I'd like to see what other people have to say too. Because it is a doubleknit, I'd be tempted to try what Rosebee suggested with the fusible, like stitch witchery or steam a seam. There might be enough bulk to hide it. Otherwise you'd either have to try catchstitching them, or covering them with a lining and hope they stay. I think I usually just zig zag them together and press to 1 side, but I agree the look of a pressed open seam is much better.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to LindsayT

Date: 10/14/08 3:07 PM

Are the seams staying flat and open now? Are you worried about the seam allowances twiddling around when you wear the dress or when you wash it?

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Marji
starstarstarstar
Marji
Advanced
MO USA
Member since 9/19/06
Send Message

Date: 10/14/08 5:48 PM

And while we're at the questions, why are you lining a wool double knit?

------
Marji
http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Marji

Date: 10/14/08 6:19 PM

Quote: Marji
And while we're at the questions, why are you lining a wool double knit?

I was wondering the same thing.

As far as the princess seams, I have used the very light Steam-A-Seam to make armhole princess seams stay flat at the bust area.
CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NH USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

Date: 10/14/08 6:55 PM

A wide catch stitch ((from the middle of the sa, (between the seam and the edge of the sa) to the garment)) made with extremely fine thread (heirloom silk) made by catching only the topmost fibers of the garment fibers and worked loose enough not to pull at the garment, might work. I noticed on one of my RTW skirts that had a really invisible hem that that is how it was done. To keep bulk down I have used #50 silk thread to overcast/zigzag my seam allowances. You do not have to use the same type/thickness of thread throughout when making something. Different areas may require different thread types.

LindsayT
starstarstar
LindsayT
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/2/07
Send Message

Date: 10/14/08 8:37 PM

Ok, the lining has been eliminated after an offline conversation with Marji. I used Lite Steam-a-Seam to tack the princess seams down and that is doing the trick. Thanks, all!

Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
CA USA
Member since 7/28/03
Send Message

Date: 10/15/08 0:45 AM

OK, inquiring minds want to know...

The last wool knit dress I owned was in in 1986 - pre-marriage, pre-childbirth - it was the best dang fitting dress I EVER had, after going through professional alterations at Macy's SF (where I worked as an executive at the time, so maybe they gave me extra help).

It was lined.

It cost me $650 (WITH my discount.. without would have been $800 or so). Considering inflation - that's probably $1200 today. Dang! I knew! that was an expensive dress. But fiance, now husband of 21 years, LOVED it. Worth the investment.

The lining made it tolerable for me. I hate wool. It itches and scratches, even really good quality. Even cashmere bugs me. I get rashes all over.

So if I were making ANYTHING out of wool, it would get lined.

So what are the reasons not to line a wool knit?

Like I said, enquiring minds want to know.

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Luckylibbet

Date: 10/15/08 0:53 AM

Quote: Luckylibbet

So what are the reasons not to line a wool knit?

My line of thinking is that the knit stretches, lining fabric does not. Why use a stretchy fabric with a lining that has no 'give.' I would definitely line a woven wool dress.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Finishing princess seams in doubleknit dress

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Simplicity 1939

photo
by: Achallengi...

Review
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Onde Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.