Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Vintage Sewing > Old Sewing Show on PBS ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Old Sewing Show on PBS
Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 6/18/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/25/08 0:45 AM

Does anyone remember a sewing show on PBS, more than 20 years ago, that was done by this old guy...? He had grey hair and wore his glasses on a chain. He claimed to sew for old movie stars, and a lot of the subjects on his show were about old details and costuming. He had no use for fancy equipment -- I think the machine he used on the show was an old industrial -- and there were no product endorsements to speak of.

I want to say the show was called "by George!", but I'm not certain about this.

Can anyone shake my memory?

Ambimom
Ambimom
Intermediate
Member since 5/25/08

In reply to Soolip

Date: 10/25/08 9:42 AM

Yes, I do!but it was more like 35 years ago. I used to live in DC and sometimes could get a signal from Baltimore. I used to tune him in on Saturday afternoons from a Baltimore PBS station. I never forgot a show about selvedges. I haven't a clue what the show was called but he really taught sewing skills that everyone needs, based upon garment industry practices. His goal was well-made, wearable garments that fit right.

He was ahead of his time. That's why I love Project Runway. It shows that sewing can produce wearable, beautiful clothes, not the crap that is featured on most of the sewing shows on cable these days.

Shirley Adams (who I liked) Nancy Zieman, Sandra Betzina, Sue Haussman et.al. push their sponsor's useless sewing notions or overly expensive "super" machines that few can afford. Worse the stuff they make is usually unattractive, pointless loving hands at home "costumes," I dare not identify their projects as clothing anyone would actually wear in public.

Nancy Zieman used to teach skills like inserting zippers and gathering elastic but she hasn't done that in years. It's a shame.

Ody
star
Ody  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/6/03

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

In reply to Soolip

Date: 10/25/08 9:48 AM

It has been some time ago---maybe last year there was a thread on him, and it included links to some videos of him with his black machine. Do a search and see if you can't find it on here. I don't have time this morning, but if you spend some time you may be able to find it. It was a great show!

------
"Sewing should be fun; make it that way!" Margaret Islander
Flying through life by the seat of my pants and hoping I get my crotch curve right.
"No humiliation is too great for a well fitting pair of pants!" Heidi Cooper
J6500P,
J1600P
J3160DC
J350E
JCP1000
Pfaff C1100 Pro
Babylock Eclipse serger
My grandmother's Feather Weight

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02

Date: 10/25/08 10:19 AM

I remember Shirley Adams leaving her TV show and saying she was doing it because PBS only wanted the shows to be based on products (i.e., sponsors) rather than techniques.

I don't think she's on TV anymore, is she?

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/12/04

Date: 10/25/08 10:21 AM

Shirley Adams is no longer on TV but she does do shows. Editing to add sewing shows like the former Fall Fair in Costa Mesa.
-- Edited on 10/25/08 10:23 AM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Heatherrique
starstarstarstar
Heatherrique  Friend of PR
CA USA
Member since 6/27/06

Date: 10/25/08 11:05 AM

I'm sure this is it!
Sew What's New starrring George W. Trippon" He's delightful!

------
Sewed ~663.25 yards since 2000, ~ 132 yards in 2009, ~ 80 yds in 2010, ~ 99 yards in 2011, ~56.5 yards in 2012, ~53.25 yards in 2013

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." Milton Berle
sewspiciousmindful.blogspot.com

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 6/18/08

Date: 10/25/08 1:31 PM

That's him! George W. Trippon -- thank you.

Ambimom, you're right about the sewing shows today -- and this is also true of cooking shows -- they seem to exist to sell products, not teach.

I did a little research on the guy. He did, in fact, design and sew women's clothing for the Hollywood studios, before and after WWII. He had a design school in Hollywood called The Trippon School of Design. His TV show, "Sew What's New", was made and aired over a period of about 20 years, starting in 1970. He wrote and published two books in conjunction with the show: "Becoming a Dress Designer: What Every Designer Should Know", and "Let's Design, Cut, Sew, and Fit With George W. Trippon". Both books are rare and difficult to find.

His partner James died in 2006. They were together for 64 years -- how many marriages these days last that long? He wrote a book about their life together called "Ode to Jimmie". He also wrote a book about his childhood called "Pidgeon Hill" both are available from Amazon.

He is still alive and strong, 93 years old, and living in Southern California.

Who knew? I love the internet.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

In reply to Everyday Sewist

Date: 10/25/08 2:42 PM

Quote:
I remember Shirley Adams leaving her TV show and saying she was doing it because PBS only wanted the shows to be based on products (i.e., sponsors) rather than techniques.

I suspect that PBS isn't so much interested in promoting products, but rather what PBS wants is to NOT pay any production costs for the shows they buy. That's what a sponsor helps do; defray production costs. Producing a TV show can be very expensive. If you do have a sponsor, of course the sponsor is going to want you to use their products. I note that Bernina appears as a sponsor of quite a few sewing/quilting shows, and the sewing instructors are all sewing on their Bernina's and mentioning Bernina feet by the Bernina numbers, etc.

In my discussion board wanderings, I read a post from someone who met Sharlene Joregenson, who does a quilting show Quilting from the Heartland. The person who posted on the discussion list had chatted with Sharlene at a sewing/quilting convention. Sharlene explained that PBS pays for the completed series of shows, but Sharlene has to pay all the production costs - up front. Sharlene does not have a product to sell PBS (or other broadcasters) unless she's got an entire series (13?) shows already completed and "in the can" -- an expensive proposition. Note that Sharlene uses her own products (templates) on her show.

As for Nancy Zieman showing basics, like how to install a zipper - yes, good basic stuff, but she's been doing TV shows for (what?) 25 years now. How many times can you install a zipper before viewers get bored and turn off the TV? I think it must be difficult to find a balance of sewing show content that appeals to both beginning and advanced sewers, garment sewers vs. quilters, etc. With garment sewing, the older shows can become dated. For example, in the current Sewing with Nancy series (25th year), she's been showing clips from her old shows, and making embarrassed comments about her hair styles and makeup in the 80s.

CMC

-- Edited on 10/25/08 3:14 PM --
Cat MacGregor
star
Cat MacGregor
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 6/1/06

Date: 10/25/08 3:03 PM

I found copies of the Becoming a Dress Designer on Alibiris and Abebooks - for about $30 each. I anyone wanted a copy.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=george+trippon&sts=t&x=53&y=14

------
www.pinkededges.com

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 6/18/08

Date: 10/25/08 4:02 PM

CM, these are all very practical responses to the complaint of too-much sponsor propaganda and too-little content. I think these comments were made more in the spirit of comparing the old versus the new learning shows.

I think what George was able to give his viewers that the newer generation of programs don't is an "industry insider's" view of the craft. He had years of experience "on the floor", in sample rooms and as a designer. His garments had complicated details, but they always looked professionally made -- and he effectively communicated these techniques with a "hands-on" approach. Most of the show focused on him in the act of sewing, and you were able to learn how to use the machine in a variety of situations, rather than how to supposedly make basic tasks easier with various products. To this day I hear him telling me to trim off loose threads as I sew. It's excellent, practical advice.

I admire Nancy Z. as a business person. And you're right, basic clothing construction hasn't changed in years, so there's little point in re-making the same show over and over. And yes, technology is making life easier for the home sewer. I don't do embroidery, but home sergers have made life better (for the last 30 years or so). Has anyone gotten fusible interfacing to work? I don't use it anymore, unless it's something that has to be dry cleaned. Anyway, there's just not much new on offer. So....

Why not re-run Sew What's New? Much more entertaining and informative than anything out there now. Frankly, I have the same thoughts about The French Chef. I learned more about real cooking from Julia Child than from anyone on the Food Network (well, maybe David Rosengarten comes in a close second).

Also, I think what George and Julia gave us was their great personal styles. They are (or were) characters. People adore Julia Child, and her shows are re-run and available on DVD. I don't think that George Trippon was in the public consciousness to the same degree, but if he was he would certainly be regarded on the same level as his cooking counterpart.

-- Edited on 10/25/08 4:03 PM --
-- Edited on 10/25/08 4:30 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Vintage Sewing >> Old Sewing Show on PBS

Merchants on PR
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

McCall's 6203 Misses' Tunics
photo
Review by Sewmetoo on 4/10/12
Read Review

Butterick 5901 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )
Butterick 5901 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2241 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 2241 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

No Pattern Used 00
photo
Review by SassySan on 7/28/13
Read Review

Blank Slate Zippy Jacket Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Zippy Jacket Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Christine Jonson Patterns Split Hem Pant Digital Pattern
Christine Jonson Patterns Split Hem Pant Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Chloe Handbag
Chloe Handbag

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 150 Pattern
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN