SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Hair products for frizzy dry gross hair ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hair products for frizzy dry gross hair
+ good over the counter hair color
croglodyte
croglodyte
Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 3/2/07
Send Message

Date: 10/26/08 10:53 AM

Okay, addendum to my previous post. What products do you recommend for dry frizzy hair with breakage???? I don't really have split ends, just a lot of breakage and frizz. Honestly, I'm pretty depressed about my hair situation. I"m no beauty queen, but used to have 'good hair' and at least it was one area that I could feel confident about.

I started doing the condition-shampoo-condition cycle when washing instead of shampoo-shampoo-condition, which has helped a lot.

I got a protein pack treatment from Sally's. It was Aphogee brand and that seemed to help. The lady there recommended using that once a month.

For regular washing, I've been using Pantene Anti-Frizz and Anti-breakage products. The Anti-breakage seems to help. I also use the Anti-Frizz balm, then air dry. I don't blow dry or flat-iron, so that isn't an issue. But it still looks semi-frizzy.

I don't really have a 'style' right now but get my ends trimmed regularly.

Also, my hair isn't accepting color like it used to. I'm afraid I can no longer use the ultra-cheap stuff - I've been using Revlon Colorsilk for years and had no problem, but now my hair is so dry and gross that I need to try something else. What about Garnier Nutrisse? The avocado oil sounds good.....I need good gray coverage too.

Any suggestions appreciated! If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading through the whole thing! Cheryl C.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to croglodyte

Date: 10/26/08 11:40 AM

Cherly,

I only started to dye my hair about 4 years ago. I have short hair that is very thick. I can only have it dyed about 3 times a year or else my hair gets straw like. This means my roots have practically grown out before I get it coloured again.

I get it done professionally.

I have found that I have to use haircare products for coloured hair. It does make a difference. I get my haircut every 3-4 weeks too.

I colour my hair to cover the gray, but I think next year I will let it grow out completely to give all my hair a break. I may also look at just touching up the wings of gray by my ears.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Everyday Sewist
star
Everyday Sewist
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/14/02
Send Message

Date: 10/26/08 11:53 AM

My hair gets dry & frizzy if I use regular shampoos and conditioners. Here's what I do to keep it from drying out:

1. Don't use shampoos with sulfates. They strip your hair. Look for shampoos with Cocamidopropyl betaine as the cleansing ingredient. If you have curly hair, you may want to try a non-foaming cleanser such as Deva Curl No-Poo (this is what I use). If you use a non-foaming cleanser, you can't use heavy silicones in your conditioners or styling products-you'll have to switch to non-silicone products such as Deva or Jessicurl.

Cocamidopropyl betaine is most often found in color-safe shampoos, health-food store shampoos (Aubrey is a good one), and salon shampoos.

2. I like Aveda hair color (at the salon). I tried another salon but the color didn't take, and I tried coloring at home but that color didn't take very well either. Aveda color is very expensive but worth it to me.
-- Edited on 10/26/08 11:55 AM --

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

In reply to croglodyte

Date: 10/26/08 2:17 PM

I have stopped using any silicone (check the product ingredient list for "-cone" ) on my thick, dry coarse hair.

I got rid of the silicone build up on my hair by washing and rinsing with baking soda in water--per "Curly Girl" advice.

I use only the conditioner that comes with my L'Oreal Preference or Excellence color (which I use to shampoo my hair) and then use a teaspoon of organic unrefined coconut oil for conditioning after towel drying my hair.

According to Beauty Brains the coconut oil can penetrate the hair itself Beauty Brains).

For the first time in years I am THRILLED with my hair and am letting it grow long. It is shiny, silky and soft. Also google the Long Hair Forum for much more info there.

Best Wishes,

Carla

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 10/26/08 3:08 PM

Similar hair issues here, though less breakage and more just hair loss at the part. I have to change around my part every so often to fix that - since my hair's super thick there's no obvious bald spots, just a TON of short ringletts that cannot stay neat.

Where do you get coconut oil? I've been using olive oil after showers and it helps but, well, it smells like olive oil.

------
Kit
"Never underestimate the power of the right dress!" - drsue
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/26/08 6:19 PM

I get mine through Swanson Vitamins because it's less expensive (Nutiva 54 oz.). You can get smaller jars at some health food stores, but it usually isn't discounted. You'll probably pay as much for a 15 oz. jar locally.

Coconut oil isn't exactly an oil. It's a solid, but melts when you touch it with your hand. I absolutely love it for just about everything..........................cooking, as well as using it for a moisturizer. It also makes fabulous popcorn. When I brown meat it doesn't flavor the meat, but when I use it in place of regular oil to make brownies, the brownies have a slight coconut flavor................yummy.

Click here.

-- Edited on 10/26/08 6:37 PM --

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

Date: 10/26/08 6:27 PM

First, ditch all and any Pantene products. You'll notice an immediate difference. Tresemme makes some good stuff, L'Oreal or even Dove will make your hair feel better than Pantene. 2ce in my life I've had horrible hair. Tangled, limp, frizzy. First time my new hairdresser told me it was probably Pantene. I rolled my eyes, but did switch. She was right and I noticed an immediate difference. Fast forward about 10 years and I'd forgotten this. But I started dredding taking a shower because I'd then have to comb out my hair. It wouldn't hold a curl during the day and just looked awful. I'd been using the Pantene for color treated hair and ran out. Used my husband's 2 in 1 (also not a good choice) and noticed an immediate difference.
A baking soda rinse (like CSM suggested) about once a month will help with all kinds of build up.

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to croglodyte

Date: 10/26/08 6:33 PM

Nick Chavez hair products are great IMO. They're available at various places online, but I think QVC has the best prices. You'll have to compare. I use his volumizing conditioner. It's very light though, and maybe not enough for your particular problem. He has products to calm the frizzies, and I imagine they're good, but haven't used them. Also, the heaviest and best deep conditioner (available at Sally's) is Wella Kolestral concentrate..............available in tubes and the larger jar. It's best used with a heat cap and leaves your hair very very silky...........................smells great, too.

Nick Chavez Products at QVC

croglodyte
croglodyte
Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 3/2/07
Send Message

In reply to ccris

Date: 10/27/08 8:21 AM

ccris - how often do you use the coconut oil? Do you use it IN LIEU of a conditioner or in addition to one?? So you just work the teaspoonful through your hair with your hands? Do you then have to use anything else for frizz control?

Also, how do you do the baking soda rinse?

Also, this sounds dumb, but what is a 'heat cap'? Does that mean a bonnet dryer? Or is is some kind of special plastic shower cap??

Thanks for all the info ladies! This is the first time in my life (I'm 42) that I really have to pay attention to my hair care!!!
Sincerely,
Cherly C.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 10/27/08 10:15 AM

My hairdresser went nuts when I mentioned I had Pantene in my travel bag. She says it has ruined colours and perms on some of her clients. I generally use products from the salon and have professional colouring as well. With dry hair you usually can't wash it every day. I go every other day or third day.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Hair products for frizzy dry gross hair

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Burda 7486

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
Kwik Sew 2948

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now
Checkbook Cover

Checkbook Cover

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.