SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Bath robe ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bath robe
from bath towels
Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 11/29/08 3:15 PM

After getting out of the shower this AM, I measured the hand and bath towel to see if I could make a robe from them. I believe the bath towel could form the front and back, the hand towels for sleeves and wash cloths for pockets. I know it's probably been done but I can't find anything on the boards. I doubt it would be that hard, but thought I'd check out PR and see if anyone has tried this. Any comments/suggestions?

ItzMePenny

ItzMePenny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/31/05
Send Message

In reply to Rhoda K

Date: 11/29/08 3:43 PM

In the mid-70s, Everyone used to sew robes out of 2 bath towels and two hand towels!

Here's one how-to: Bath Towel Robe

------
PennyZ

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 11/29/08 3:54 PM

While I haven't made a traditional bathrobe from them, I did use towels to make a spa wrap. According to the date on my review, the wrap is now 6 years old, and I know it's still my DD's favorite - her year-round robe. Never underestimate the durability of Walmart's cheapest towels.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to ItzMePenny

Date: 11/29/08 3:55 PM

Oh my, that brings back memories!!! I made a lot of spending money in the late 60s (67-68) making these for all my sister's dorm buddies!

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 11/29/08 9:27 PM

Thanks to all for your comments and how-tos. I remember now about the trend for this type of robe back in the day. Guess I'll get myself some of WalMart's special towels and see what I can come up with. Thanks agin.

samholmes8
samholmes8
Intermediate
Member since 1/1/09
Send Message

Date: 1/1/09 9:01 AM

Does anyone have the method for making a beach towel robe out of 3 beach towels, front, bank, and sleeve bodice? Thanks.

AuntieGeek
AuntieGeek
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/16/09
Send Message

Date: 7/19/11 5:10 PM

I'm also interested in this project. Unfortunately the link from ItzPenny isn't working any longer. The one I'm looking for was definitely made from at least 2 if not 3 towels. There was a horizontal piece that was the neck & shoulders on top.
Thanks for any pictures & info you can provide!

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 7/20/11 1:53 AM

Back in the 70's I made a robe from two bath and two hand towels for use when we went boating/swimming/water skiing. I put a separating zip in it so I didn't have to pull it over my head. I loved that thing - it was good to put on after water skiing. I lived in it and my swimsuit when we went camping and boating! I don't have the pattern any longer, but I think I could manage to do it again. The towels had a fringe on them, so there was no hemming required.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/20/11 8:15 AM

So easy to do. Two bath towels, if you want it short; three if you want it long. For the short one: Using the shorter side, cut one bath towel in half; this is your front and back bottom pieces. Fold each of these pieces in half, lengthwise and mark the fold .

For the top, fold the other bath towel in half, lengthwise, cut a hole in the center along the fold line big enough for your head. Then take this towel and fold it in half, width wise, and mark the fold.

Match up the marks and stitch a seam. The whole thing should look like two Ts connected at the top. Sew up the sides and the underarms.

If you want it longer, don't cut the one bath towel in half, but use two full size bath towels. And if you want a zipper, cut up the front and sew one in. Pretty easy.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

mpom
mpom
Expert/Couture
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 10/23/11 10:20 AM

I made one of these robes yesterday. I made many of them back in the 60's and 70's when they were popular. The towels I used yesterday were $2.50 each on the clearance table at my grocery store. In hindsight I think I will put a zipper down the front to make it easier to get on but all in all it came out very nice. I am surprised I could remember how to make them as it has been many years.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Bath robe

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature\\'s Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Lolita Patterns 1300

photo
by: Ms. McCall

Review
Other Your Style Rocks

photo
by: Lazylinche...

Review
Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

More Info
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.