SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What's the best way to hem velour? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What's the best way to hem velour?
TalyQ
star
TalyQ
Advanced Beginner
Serbia
Member since 6/17/04
Send Message

Date: 12/15/08 12:48 PM

I searched the archives, but didn't find anything. I am making a dress for my daughter from pink pretty stretchy velour. It was a bit of a nightmare to sew it. I need to hem the skirt and sleeves, but can't figure out what to do. I tried narrow hem, looks awful. Would a double needle be OK or should I stay from any top-stitching on this and hem everything by hand? I have never hemmed any knit by hand and am not sure how to do it. Any advice from anybody who has worked with this crazy fabric is welcome.

------
Natalija from Serbia (mom to 6 daughters and 1 son)

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to TalyQ

Date: 12/15/08 12:58 PM

I made velour bath robes for my kids a few years ago, I used a zig zag stitch for the hems.

A double needle should work too.

I serged the edges first.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

reneeb4930
star
reneeb4930  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Canada
Member since 2/10/08
Send Message

Subject: Whats the best way to hem velour? Date: 12/15/08 1:58 PM

TalyQ serge the hem first and after you can do ablindstich hem on your machine or by hand. For a little dress I would not do a 2 needles hem, it will not be nice.

TalyQ
star
TalyQ
Advanced Beginner
Serbia
Member since 6/17/04
Send Message

In reply to reneeb4930

Date: 12/15/08 2:21 PM

Quote: reneeb4930
TalyQ serge the hem first and after you can do ablindstich hem on your machine or by hand. For a little dress I would not do a 2 needles hem, it will not be nice.

It's not a little dress, my daughter is 13 and taller than me. But I tried the double needle on a sample and it looks pretty bad. So I tried hand-stitching it. The problem is I do not have a serger and the edge keeps rolling in even after the blind hem. I must figure out something. I do have a "serger-like" stitch on another machine. Would that help maybe?

------

Pam Z
Pam Z
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/17/03
Send Message

In reply to TalyQ

Date: 12/15/08 2:56 PM

Have you considered sewing a lightweight tape or lace to the edge of the hem by machine, then sew this by hand or machine to the velour? It would be less bulky.

vespabelle
star
vespabelle
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/18/03
Send Message

Subject: Whats the best way to hem velour? Date: 12/15/08 3:08 PM

I second the idea of using hem tape.

------
Scooters are my bag, baby.
http://vespabelle-sews.blogspot.com

TalyQ
star
TalyQ
Advanced Beginner
Serbia
Member since 6/17/04
Send Message

In reply to Pam Z

Date: 12/15/08 3:15 PM

Quote: Pam Z
Have you considered sewing a lightweight tape or lace to the edge of the hem by machine, then sew this by hand or machine to the velour? It would be less bulky.

I think that's a great idea. I'll have to look and see if I can find something suitable. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

------

CynthiaSue
starstarstarstar
CynthiaSue  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/11/03
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/15/08 3:52 PM

Like any knit, it helps to fuse something to the hem like fusi-knit stabilizer. Then it will not get all wavy. And will be more stable for turning it up and sewing over it. Your velour is probably polyester and thick so the fusible interfacing will not be easy but very doable. Use a press cloth. Then when you turn it up and zig-zag(preferably with a walking foot as a regular machine foot will bunch it-you can try decreasing pressor foot presser if you only have a regular machine foot) it will not be wavy. You can search hemming knits instead of hemming velour(especially stretch velour) as the concepts are the same.

------
"Mommy cries in the sewing room."
Alexander May, 2.5 years old

TalyQ
star
TalyQ
Advanced Beginner
Serbia
Member since 6/17/04
Send Message

In reply to CynthiaSue

Date: 12/20/08 1:47 AM

Well, I finished the dress and my daughter wore it to her concert last night. I didn't take any pictures yet (our camera broke!), but will soon post a review. I ended up zig-zaging the hem (helped it to lie flat a bit) and then used a blind-hemmer (for the first time in my life) on my machine. Crazy idea - to pick this crazy fabric for trying a new technique, but it worked pretty well. I missed the mark in a few places, but can fix it by hand. I did hem the sleeves by hand, because I didn't want to fiddle with them. All in all I am please with the hem and plan to use the blind-hem on my machine a lot more now on some other fabrics. It's so much faster than doing it by hand.

------

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Subject: Whats the best way to hem velour? Date: 12/20/08 6:51 AM

I'm glad it worked out well in the end. What I would have done is made sure I had at least a 1" hem allowance, preferably 1.5-2" on velour. Use a velva board and apply lightweight P/P fusible interfacing to the hem area, turn and topstitch with a single needle or double needle.

Either that, or blind hem it like you did, maybe do a serged rolled hem. It depends on the style if I want the hem to have more shape (interfacing) or just really drape-y.

Hem tape/stretch lace is always a good option too.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What's the best way to hem velour?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Simplicity 2927

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

More Info
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.