SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > lifespan of serger? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
lifespan of serger?
Should I give up on my Pfaff 786 Hobbylock
mfemerson
mfemerson
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 7/1/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/1/09 1:42 AM

My serger is probably over 20 years old. It's had moderate to very heavy use over the years. I have regularly had it serviced and was quite dependable until about 3 years ago. Since then, it is giving me fits - needs more frequent servicing, very difficult to get the tension correct, etc.
I'm leaning towards replacing it - though it has all the features I need (I have separate coverstitich machine) and I'm not going to replace it with of the Pfaff quality (I'm looking at a Brother).
Do sergers just plain wear out? I just don't know how much longer I should hang on to this because it was once a very dependable machine.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 1/1/09 8:35 AM

I have the same serger. Some years I've used it a lot, others years not so much. What I did notice when I put my CoverPro on layaway a couple months back, is that the stitch quality of my Hobbylock was far superior to the Janome low-end sergers. Maybe even the mid-range.

However, if you feel it's on it's last legs, I'd check out the new ones. You know your machine best.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to mfemerson

Date: 1/1/09 9:04 AM

Quote: mfemerson
"I'm not going to replace it with of the Pfaff quality (I'm looking at a Brother)."

This kind of sounds like you think that Pfaff made this serger, which they did not. (Neither Pfaff nor any other European mfgr ever made a serger.) Regardless, it was one of the more reliable series of sergers, and you would need to get a pretty good (I did not say fancy or feature loaded) serger to equal the old one's quality. My inclination would be to find a tech who is a serger expert, have them inspect it for any serious problems, and if none are found, give it a complete rebuild.

Of course, if you are just looking for a good excuse.........

Bill Holman
Maggie Cat
star
Maggie Cat
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 2/18/06
Send Message

Date: 1/1/09 11:41 AM

I also have a hobbylock 786. I have not used it for quite a while but back in the day I used it a lot. It always worked well and I never had any issues with it.
I had used it a while back for stitching the ends of some fabric to wash and the stitch was out of balance but not horrible enough for the purpose at hand. I then made some roman shade type covers for some shelfs that were given to me and when I went to use the serger for them, I could not get the stitch balanced still. I did not take the time then to check it out further but knew I needed to get it squared away.
Well, yesterday I cleaned it and completely rethreaded it thinking that that was the issue. I think that made it worse. The stitch is really really wonky and adjusting the tensions does not help. I will have to take it in to be looked at.
But the funny thing is that I was wondering if I should just replace it since it so old. So, Bill, the information that you provided certainly helps. I will take it in to be looked at - the people I take it to are pretty good - and see what they say and how much it will cost.

sabrinatf

sabrinatf
Intermediate
Member since 5/21/05
Send Message

Date: 1/1/09 7:18 PM

I have both a 788 and a 4870 that were made by the same company for Pfaff through the late 1990's. It's been very reliable and the stitching is great until recently. I've debated what to do with both of them as the stitching on the 788 takes a lot to get adjusted right lately and the foot pedal has started acting up on the 4870. Parts are very hard to come by which is very discouraging. I did purchase a viking 910 when my 4870 started acting up during a big project (before I purchased the 788). I'm not sure what to do about either...but I can say that the viking is no match for my pfaff 4870 or even it's lil sis the 788

------
Umm...I was told there would be no math on this exam.
http://mylilsliceofpie.blogspot.com/

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

Date: 1/2/09 10:04 AM

I also own the 786 and have done everything with it with no problems until this year when I could not sew the cuff on a pair of PJs because I couldn't serge through the seams. I have already replaced the blade but was wondering if I should be thinking about a new one. Maybe I will just think about some new parts etc.

Also curious, Bill, as to who made these if not Pfaff.

------
Formerly The Canadian

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to SewRaeMe

Date: 1/2/09 10:34 AM

Quote: The Canadian
"..curious, Bill, as to who made these if not Pfaff."

All of the home sergers were/are made in the Far East. In those days, they were all made in Japan, and now, they are more likely made in Taiwan or China, but frequently by Japanese owned companies. I'm not up to date on the current situation, but I understand there are only about four mfgr's who have survived. I'm pretty sure that this Pfaff labeled serger was made by Mamiya Seiki, but I don't know whether they are still active or not.

Bill Holman
sewonandsewforth
sewonandsewforth
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/12/08
Send Message

Date: 1/2/09 10:50 AM

I owned the Hobbylock 788 for about eight years. I traded it for a BL Imagine because, even from the very beginning of using the 788, tension was always an issue and threading it, for me, was a nightmare because of the tight quarters. It did serge admirably, though, once set up. But, setting it up, i.e., threading and tension adjustments often took me longer than serging the project. Mine had a label on the front that said "made in Japan for Pfaff." I bought it in 1996.

Maggie Cat
star
Maggie Cat
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 2/18/06
Send Message

Date: 1/2/09 5:57 PM

I took my serger down to the shop this morning. The lady there said she did not think it was beyond help. Their serger guy has to come from Ohio so he won't pick it up until next week. So it will be a while before I hear back.
My serger has a thing that says made for Pfaff but does not say where/who.
The 786 can be a pain to thread for the right looper but I have a really long threader that I use.
And you know the best pair of tweezers I have came with my Pfaff. A few years ago they disappeared for a while and I bought some others but the Pfaff tweezers are the best.

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 1/2/09 6:22 PM

Thanks, I just assumed differently, good to know.

------
Formerly The Canadian

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> lifespan of serger?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 286481-1007

photo
by: MariannaSe...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.