SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Storing Fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Storing Fabric
Gumdrop09

Gumdrop09
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/09 7:31 PM

Before I get too carried away with this idea that was born when fabric I bought (and don't need after all) met Christmas and my daughter's birthday (empty wrapping paper tubes), I want to make sure nothing bad can happen.

To make a long story short, I bought 4 yards of charcoal gray taffeta for a theatre costume and then used a costume I already had instead. I was trying to decide how to store the fabric and noticed an empty wrapping paper tube. At 22" wide folded, the taffeta rolled up perfectly onto the tube. This would appear to be a great way to store many kinds of fabric but are there any reasons not to?

I'm also now using empty ribbon spools (the large ones that gift wrap ribbon is sold on) for the different widths of elastic that I keep handy.

Deb

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 1/11/09 8:41 PM

For long term storage cardboard is acidic and will eventually damage many fabrics. So part of the answer to your question depends on how long will it be before you use this taffeta?

One way around this problem is to first cover the tube in muslin or other white 'neutral' fabric and then wrap your fabric on it.

Lots of fabrics in high-end fabric stores come rolled on tubes, so your idea is basically a good one!
Elaine

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 1/11/09 8:44 PM

Nice idea on the empty ribbon spools.

I have some fabric on empty cardboard tubes as well. And, of course, much of the fabric we buy at the store is stored on the bardboard bolt holders.

I've read that cardboard isn't good for fabric long-term. Given that it is frequently used, the effect is probably minor or very long term. (Then again, the way I go through my stash....)

Just read goodworks1's suggestion on muslin - nice idea.
-- Edited on 1/11/09 8:46 PM --

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Gumdrop09

Gumdrop09
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/09 9:11 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the cardboard! I have lots of muslin scraps so it would be really easy to roll some around the tubes first.

I've started buying different types of fabric whenever I find really good sales as I do costumes for my son's theatre group and I never know what I'll need. After the most recent production (final performance was this afternoon), I discovered my stash was starting to get a little out of control and that's when the tube idea came to me. I knew the experts out there would let me know if it was a good idea and I really appeciate your input.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 2:19 PM

This is an old thread but the subject is something I've been grappling with.
Currently I store my fabrics, folded, in large plastic bins.
But since I'm just starting to sew again after a few years away from it I know my stash will be growing fast (two new machines to work on!)
I've seen these roller carts with multi-colored, pull-out bins; do any of you store fabric this way?
Do you think it's a good option? And is the size satisfactory?
(I see these are available in several configurations._)

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to lgrande

Date: 2/29/12 2:59 PM

-- Edited on 3/13/12 12:52 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

LisainWV
LisainWV
Advanced Beginner
West Virginia USA
Member since 12/25/10
Send Message

Date: 2/29/12 3:23 PM

I have my fabric folded and stored in plastic storage bins. Currently the only place I have for storage is a small extra closet, and I can stack the bins on top of each other. We have a basement, but it's too moist to store anything down there, even with the dehumidifier running.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch

Date: 3/1/12 9:10 AM

Sorry, but I need a little more help here.
I used the terms you cited and keyed it into "search board' tab.
Nothing came up. Did I put it in the wrong area?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to lgrande

Date: 3/1/12 10:22 AM

Just try fabric storage as the key words for your search.

-- Edited on 3/2/12 9:58 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ

Date: 3/2/12 9:49 AM

Thankyou, PattiAnn...that worked perfectly!

Linda

------
Linda

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Storing Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Butterick 5726

photo
by: Hauteaway

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.