SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Thoughts about a Janome 11590? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thoughts about a Janome 11590?
sew4dasoul

sew4dasoul
Beginner
California USA
Member since 12/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/16/09 12:47 PM

Hi,

I've been looking for a new sewing machine. I'm not done with my search yet, but just for fun I was looking at a Janome 11590 on overstock.com. It's refurbished and listed at $150. What caught my eye was that it's described as a heavy duty machine and it has blanket stitch capability. I would like both of those features in my next machine and was wondering what people's thoughts were about this particular model?

I haven't had a chance to get to my local Janome dealer yet, but last night I did test drive a Viking Husqvarna Emerald 118 at Joann's. I liked it quite a bit but I thought the price ($449) was a high little for its simplicity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
-- Edited on 1/16/09 4:50 PM --

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to sew4dasoul

Date: 1/16/09 12:59 PM

I think you will find that the Janome 11590 is the same machine as the Sears Kenmore 16231 and there are several reviews on the 16231 here on PR and possibly on the Emerald.
I hope you get a chance to sew on both so you can compare them for the price.

sew4dasoul

sew4dasoul
Beginner
California USA
Member since 12/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/16/09 4:53 PM

Betakin,

Thank you so much for pointing me to the Kenmore. There are so many different machines out there that it's often difficult for me to find the same one under a different brand.

Thank you, thank you!

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to sew4dasoul

Date: 1/16/09 9:00 PM

The Kenmore and Janome are really the same being that Janome makes Kenmore, including machines for other companies, including Elna which Janome now heads in the USA. Janome also has made machines for Pfaff and Viking.
There was another thread here on PR several days back about these machines. I think the Janome 11590 is just a new number for a refurbished Janome made Kenmore 16231, that is now on several sites on line. Besides the Overstock site, I think Ken's has it and possibly Allbrands or SewVacDirect and the price might vary between the different sites.
Sears has a 16221 with less stitches and it does not have the electronic features of the 16231, like the up/down needle, speed control, or stop/start button.
Sears also has the newer 18221 that has red accents rather than the aqua blue accents of the 16221/16231. I think all of these machines are now shown on line at the different sites that I posted above..including KMart. KMart/Sears are under one ownership now.

-- Edited on 1/16/09 9:01 PM --

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to sew4dasoul

Date: 2/2/09 8:10 PM

Thought I'd resurrect this topic, as I just received my Janome 11590 form Overstock.com.

It TRULY is the same machine as my 16231, which I have yet to write a review for... but it's a great little machine. The only thing I've had a tough time with on it is thin, slippery knits. Now that I'm using the walking foot for these, they are doing much better.

I also have a Janome Magnolia 7330. The Magnolia has neater deco stitches, but the Kenmore is every bit as good as, or better than, the Janome. The Janome seems to have a harder time with those slippery knits and is more sensitive to having the right needle-- it will skip stitches if it does not.

Hope this helps!

------
Cindy Lou, no more than 2
"Sew, Esmerelda! Sew like the Wind!" -Martin Short, The Three Amigos
"When inspiration calls, you don't send it to voicemail." --Will I Am.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou

Date: 2/2/09 9:44 PM

WOW..Cindy - we are sure getting interest in those machines! I am so glad your new one is a good one. Those machines look so nice!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

ThePadre
ThePadre
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 1/27/09
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou

Date: 2/16/09 11:52 AM

By the way, what is the warranty on the Janome 11590 at Overstock? I can't see any mention of it on the page.

Followup: I did a live chat with Overstock, and the agent I spoke with said (I'm not kidding), "There is no warranty."

SewVacDirect has the same machine (refurbished) at the same price but mentions a 25 year warranty on the body.

Hmmm.
-- Edited on 2/16/09 12:46 PM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to ThePadre

Date: 2/16/09 1:12 PM

mrbib, Sew Vac Direct is a real Janome dealer! So - they have the ability to honor the warranty. Overstocks is take what you get I think. I have never ordered from them. Give SVD a call. I am sure they will be glad to talk to you about the warranty. I have had great service from SVD, including buying two machines.

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 2/16/09 1:25 PM

I have only purchased one machine from Overstock...the 11510..and overall experience was good..as far as warranty..they do have a 30 day return policy..Would probably not buy an expensive machine this way..and if I could get it from Kens or another reliable dealer site with warranty for the same price then I would definitely go with the dealer but am happy with my purchase from overstock..only now I am getting daily e-mails from overstock..so beware of that also..more e-mail..

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 2/16/09 10:36 PM

Oh yes, lots of people have bought stuff at Overstock. But since you can get the machines at Sew Vac Direct and Ken's as well, I would buy one there. Not sayin' Overstock is bad, just not my choice for a sewing machine.

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Thoughts about a Janome 11590?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Vogue Patterns 1324

photo
by: fisheggs

Review
You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.