Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Plus Size Sewing > Plus-Size Sew-Along ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Plus-Size Sew-Along
Clothes For The Woman I am Right Now, Inside and Out
Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/24/02

Going to PR Weekend Austin!
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/13/09 10:36 AM

The purpose of this sew-along is to make a garment, outfit, or even a capsule wardrobe if you're ambitions, that fits your lifestyle and expresses your personality, and fits the body you have right now. So many plus-sized women decide to wait until you've lost X amount of weight to sew up your beautiful fabrics. Or, if you do lose some weight, you are afraid to make a specific garment because, if the weight is regained (which happens to so many of us), then you can't wear your fabulous garment any longer, so why bother? Instead, for this sew-along, plus-size women can start showing your bodies love by dressing them beautifully, just the way it is right now.

Note to moderators So many plus-sized women feel uncomfortable posting in the other threads that are read by possibly judgmental (at least in our minds) people that we'd prefer to keep this topic in the plus-size category instead of the sew-along threads. The plus-size category was created so plus-sized women would feel they had a safe place to post. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/24/02

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 2/13/09 11:01 AM

I've decided to make me a jacket. Even though I'm trying to lose weight, I decided to make it to fit me right now because I'm going to New York next month and will need some warm clothes. I want to look a bit polished in NY, not wearing jeans and sweats every day.

I'm using the petite jacket pattern from the latest Burda Plus Magazine. If you look at the line drawing, you can see that it has an under bust dart. I changed this dart into an armhole princess seam. The dart wanted to poke out in an unflattering way. The fabric I'm considering using is a red toile stretch twill. Then I want to make some red pants to go with it. I've been blogging my adventures in fit with this jacket, which you can read about at on these entries:

On A Roll
Try Again
Two and a Half Muslins
The Sleeve - Oye Vey!

Since I have a four day week-end starting today, I'll try to have it finished to wear to the Bra Workshop I'm attending on Tuesday.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

WendyGR
star
WendyGR
Advanced Beginner
MI USA
Member since 1/27/08

In reply to Sherril Miller

Date: 2/13/09 12:31 PM

I'm hoping to make one of the long shirts in the new Burda Plus. It will be my first Burda pattern :-)

I'm also on the "losing weight" bandwagon, but I figure I might as well practice and also look good in the meantime, right?

------
http://thelocalcook.com

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06

Date: 2/13/09 12:51 PM

I will join also although I am not sure specifically what I will make. I was "liberated" from my corporate job and the clothes that go along with it. I want to look through my wardrobe, patterns and fabric stash and make some casual tops and jackets. This will take me out of my comfort zone a little. Any yes, I want to sew for today's me; rolls, wrinkles and all.

tr1c14
star
tr1c14
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 3/28/08

Date: 2/13/09 1:27 PM

My goal is going to be to make some summer clothes that work for me. I do have a personal style to a certain extent - I'd describe it as geek chic - but it works easier, and has more availability in stores, for cold weather. In winter, I generally wear long pants or skirt in a dark neutral on the bottom, and on top either a button-down blouse with a sweater (cardigan, v-neck, or vest) over top, or else a button-down blouse open over a tank top. The sweaters are argyle more often than I might like to admit. I'd vary it with a tailored jacket or vest if I had some.

I have trouble tolerating warm weather, and right now I go through a total style metamorphosis where the moment the outdoor temperature goes above 22C or so, I'm into all this baggy floral print stuff, and while it's comfortable, it's not really the image I want to project at work (even though that's what most of the women are wearing). I'm thinking I'd like to have some nice, sharp, tailored-looking long skirts and matching jackets/overblouses, in nice natural cotton/linen/rayon. I have a couple winter items I want to make before I start on those, but I've got the brain-hamster running on its little wheel.

------
Tricia
----------------
The advantage of being a beginner is, nobody has told you "That can't be done." This is also the disadvantage of being a beginner.

JudithE
star
JudithE
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 6/12/07

Date: 2/13/09 3:50 PM

I would like to join in. Is there a time limit to how long it should take to make something? I would love to make myself a fitted button down shirt w/collar and 3/4 length set-in sleeves. I have a really nice fabric w/lycra in it and it's a pretty pink print on white. Only I need a recommendation for a pattern. I think a size 22 should work for me. I've never done a collar so it makes me nervous but I've been procrastinating long enough!

------
JudithE

tr1c14
star
tr1c14
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 3/28/08

Date: 2/13/09 4:32 PM

@Judith - I don't think we discussed a time limit. If there is one, I hope it's long! In terms of blouses, Debbie Cook blogged about being really impressed with Butterick 5300, although she hasn't posted an official review here yet.

------
Tricia
----------------
The advantage of being a beginner is, nobody has told you "That can't be done." This is also the disadvantage of being a beginner.

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
KS USA
Member since 10/22/08

In reply to JudithE

Date: 2/13/09 5:08 PM

Judith, I was really happy with this pattern, and have made it up two times now.
Link to my button down shirt review

Well, ladies, I'm joining you. I am on the smaller side of plus but size-wise, I have to just admit it finally. I just finished a pair of stretch denim jeans, hems still need doing though.

I found an old pattern for a skirt I'd like to do.

Simplicity 5351

I bought a bunch of fabric and it turned out not to be what I was expecting. It was called a denim, but it is 50% cotton, 50% tencel. I had no clue what tencel is. So I washed it, and lots of the color actually came out. But now it looks kind of cool and distressed. It does wrinkle, but whatever. I can at least give it a go.

I need clothes for everyday, jeans and shirts, and to go dancing, jeans, tops, skirts. That's what I will focus on.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

christea
star
christea
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 2/19/08

Date: 2/13/09 7:14 PM

I'll join, too. Just some flattering casual tops for right now. I have a stack of them ready to go.

Ann B.
star
Ann B.  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MA USA
Member since 4/20/02

In reply to Annette Wright

Date: 2/13/09 7:22 PM

Thanks for reminding us of your B5300 blouse review. It is really flattering on you. Did you do a diferent cuff treatment than the pattern suggests? I really like it. I just purchased the pattern and will tissue fit it after I finish NL6823. I've not sewn any recent garments for myself so I'd like a success with this one.

I'm curious to see how the Connie Crawford patterns work out for me. If we only needed the info on the envelope, I should be able to cut the largest size of the smaller range and be fine. Since we already know that was not going to happen, I'd like to make less adjustments than usual.

I'm up to the sideseams and sleeves on my NL dress. I may have been overenthusiastic on lengthing the front bodice, you guys can critique the fit when I post. I'm just so worried about things being tight and pulling in that oh so attractive way,

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> Plus-Size Sew-Along

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2009-106B Trendy Top
photo
Review by Natasha B on 6/27/09
Read Review

Kwik Sew 3962 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3962 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 3723 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 3723 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6895 Misses Tops
photo
Review by goosegreen on 12/26/11
Read Review

Yasmin Yoke Skirt Digital Pattern
Yasmin Yoke Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Lavender Handbag Digital Pattern
You Sew Girl Lavender Handbag Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $5.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 150 Pattern
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap
Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN