SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fabric for exercise/yoga type pants ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric for exercise/yoga type pants
Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 7:19 PM

I feel silly asking these kinds of questions, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.

I do not have a specific pattern in mind...perhaps Simplicity 4095 for the pants. I just want a pull on pants in a knit fabric to wear to the gym. I'm open to other pants patterns also.

I went to JoAnns today to look at knits. I know any exercise pants that are in an interlock seem to stretch out of shape so quickly. The Ponte Roma knit looked good, but it was the one not on sale.

Is that a good fabric for this type of garment, it's 100% polyester, so I'm not sure. When I went to Fashionfabrics.com and typed in "ponte roma" I feel I get a heavier weight of fabric. Here is an example.

I'm totally 100% new to knits, and don't have a clue what is what.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/19/09 7:29 PM

Hmmm...that doesn't seem quite what you are looking for, I think. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything under "cotton lycra" which is what I generally look for. You need bottom weight with probably close to 10% lycra to get enough stretch. I ordered some from Sewzannes' some time ago and it was pretty good, though a little light for my taste. You can also use swimsuit fabric, though it doesn't have that nice feel of the cotton. Good luck!

ETA - do you have a walking foot? My life has changed completely since I got one! Heaven!
-- Edited on 2/19/09 7:30 PM --

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 7:34 PM

At one time Joanns had some lighter weight French Terry with lycra, it's perfect for yoga pants. Fabric.com has some too, but the colors aren't too great.
http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-just-arrived-fashion-fabric-stretch-french-terry-fabric.aspx

I would only get 100% poly if it's wicking and designed for sports apparel.

-- Edited on 2/19/09 7:38 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 7:53 PM

My favorite RTW yoga/exercise pants are made of a microfiber/lycra blend. They are non-clingy and as heavy as good cotton/lycra, but with the advantage that they do not soak up sweat and dry like lightning when I wash them. Lessee: Where to find such fabric? Rose City Textiles, Outdoor Wilderness Fabric, and The Rain Shed would be good starting points.
-- Edited on 2/19/09 7:54 PM --

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 11:25 PM

The yoga pant pattern I like is Kwik Sew 3115. It calls for fabric with 75% stretch. That is 4" of fabric which will stretch an additional 3". The suggested fabrics are cotton lycra, nylon lycra, rayon lycra and swimwear.

I think any heavier weight knit with good recovery in the stretch would be fine. Size according to the amount of stretch in the fabric. I've used cotton lycra and stretch french terry but sized up for the terry since it had less stretch. Of course, I'm not turning myself into a pretzel in any of them HTH

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

Leora
star
Leora
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

In reply to Annette Wright

Date: 2/19/09 11:48 PM

The Ponte Roma doesn't have much stretch to it. That said, I have used it for knit pants but not yoga style. I don't think it has enough give.

I agree KS3115 is a great pattern! I make yoga pants often using Seattle Fabrics Cotton Lycra which is nice and beefy. Perfect-o!

------
Leah

My blog:
http://www.journeytocouture.com

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.

JenSews2
star
JenSews2  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 2/21/04
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 11:51 PM

I'd vote for the Ponte Roma knit, but I hardly ever see it on sale, so I buy it with my 40% off coupons. The stuff cuts nicely, washes great, doesn't fade, is easy to sew, and a great weight for yoga pants.

The link to FFC "ponte roma" is NOT the same as the JoAnn ponte roma. You can tell because it is 100% and says it is for cheerleading outfits. NO NO NO. You don't want that. Not the same. Even at Joann.com they mix up the "Ponte" knit and the "Ponte Roma" but you want the Joann Ponte Roma that costs $12.99 and is Poly/Rayon/Lycra, not the 100% poly non-stretch cheerleading outfit stuff for $6.99.

I think it is worth waiting for a coupon though.

edited to add...I had some of the JoAnn Ponte Roma fabric on my cutting table, so I checked the stretch and it is about 50% stretch. The KS3115 pattern calls for 75% stretch fabric, so if you do decide to use it, you'd have to adjust the size accordingly.
-- Edited on 2/20/09 0:14 AM --

------
*Jen*
If I stitch fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise?

Cerisa
Cerisa
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/26/08
Send Message

Date: 2/19/09 11:53 PM

I also endorse the Kwik Sew yoga pants pattern (KS3115). I have made it for me and my fussy 18 year old DD. It was considered good enough for her to wear in public. Light jersey works well with this pattern.

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

In reply to JenSews2

Date: 2/20/09 7:54 AM

Jen, thanks for confirming that the fabric isn't the same. I hadn't looked at the content, and will now think to do that (keep a notepad in purse.)

I do not need a lot of stretch, in fact, I don't want a lot, just enough to exercise at the gym (not actually a yoga class) but use the cardio machines and do some weights. I just know the pants are a similar style.

Once I get a nice fitting pattern I could use some of the nicer exercise fabrics.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Annette Wright

Date: 2/20/09 8:39 AM

A cotton lycra jersey is often used for yoga pants styles. If you don't sweat buckets when you work out then a cotton is not going to feel soaked and clammy. Here is one at Lucy's Fabrics. I just received a cut of the blue from them and it is lovely.

I tried the rayon poly lycra blend ponte de roma or whatever it is called from JoAnn. I hate it! It is clingy and feels hot on contact, makes me hyperventilate. But that is just my experience, lots of people love this stuff for pants. And yes, everyone, I know exactly which fabric I got, just don't remember the name right now.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fabric for exercise/yoga type pants

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2655

photo
by: fern1knits

Review
Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Buy Now
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.