SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Lace-up Back ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lace-up Back
jadee2005
jadee2005
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Lace-up Back - Loop Help!! Date: 2/23/09 12:36 PM

Can someone help me with a lace-up back dress? I need help with making the lacing loops - I do not want grommets/eyelets in my dress. I would like to sew the loops into the dress. Can I purchase these already made that I can just sew in? Or do I have to make them?

-- Edited on 2/23/09 12:36 PM --

Tipseysmum

Tipseysmum
Intermediate
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 2/24/09 6:31 AM

hiya i believe you need to create roule loops... some of the more expreienced ladies should be able to advise...

Cisa
star
Cisa
Advanced
Indiana USA
Member since 1/27/09
Send Message

Date: 2/24/09 10:33 AM

It depends on what you're going to lace the dress up with. If you're going to use ribbon, you can buy button loop tape from various suppliers which looks like this
When I've used this, I have always put two layers together and staggered the loops and then topstitched the bands together to create one piece of tape with loops closer together. That would be your quick and easy way.

What I would suggest however is to make loops. Cut a bias strip of your dress fabric and create piping by encasing a cord in the bias strip. Then you just insert this piping into your seam and form it into loops that you can lace through and stitch it down to the seam allowance before applying the lining. This is the nicest looking and most sturdy form or lacing loop that I have used. I hope this helps. Unfortunately don't have any pictures of when I did this to show you. Hope this helps! Good luck.

------
http://www.sewfitting.com

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/24/09 12:22 PM

Here is a link to pics of a lace up back I did for my daughters wedding dress lacing

From The Wedding Dress

From The Wedding Dress

There- now that I got the pics showing! I stress the need to add some thin cording or rat tail in the turned bias cording for stability. I also seem to remember adding extra reinforement to to the stitching line as well.
I think you can see from the pics that I made a grid to ensure that the loops were the same size. I determined the size and spacing by taking a close look at a friend's daughters wedding dress!
-- Edited on 2/24/09 12:35 PM --

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

FirecrackerKTM
star
FirecrackerKTM
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 3/28/08
Send Message

Date: 2/24/09 12:26 PM

Connie, your picture isn't showing up :(

Jadee, somewhere at home i have a Word doc that someone from PR e-mailed to me with laceup instructions. I will look for it tonight after work and send it to you if you like.

Cisa
star
Cisa
Advanced
Indiana USA
Member since 1/27/09
Send Message

In reply to ConnieBJ

Date: 2/24/09 1:12 PM

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. This is exactly what I was trying to describe

------
http://www.sewfitting.com

FirecrackerKTM
star
FirecrackerKTM
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 3/28/08
Send Message

Date: 2/24/09 1:24 PM

There they are! great pics! thanks!

ambdds
ambdds
Member since 2/25/09
Send Message

In reply to ConnieBJ

Date: 2/25/09 3:31 PM

How do you encase the cord in the bias tape for a smooth result?

FirecrackerKTM
star
FirecrackerKTM
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 3/28/08
Send Message

In reply to ambdds

Date: 2/25/09 3:44 PM

This is from the instructions that someone gave me. Maybe Connie can tell us if she used a different method.

Quote:
1. Cut bias strips for loops 1 wide.
a. You need 2 of looping per loop, 1 loop per inch of opening, with approx. 3 left without loops at the bottom of the opening (usually about 13 loops per side)
b. To stitch loops use a piece of satin cord and stitch as if you were making piping, only with the right sides of the satin facing in. First stitch across the end of the satin, firmly securing the cord. Then stitch parallel to the edges but leaving about 1/8 space between the stitching and the cord for about an inch (this makes in easier to turn the looping right side out), then stitch close to the cord the rest of the way. The satin strip should be slightly shorter than the length of the cord. Use the cord to turn the looping right side out. The beginning may be difficult to turn, use tweezers to help poke the end in if necessary.
ambdds
ambdds
Member since 2/25/09
Send Message

In reply to FirecrackerKTM

Date: 2/25/09 4:13 PM

Thank you sooooo much!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Lace-up Back

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Butterick 4254

photo
by: Artemisia ...

Review

Pattern

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD

More Info
You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 4401

photo
by: vickyh

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.