SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > strange janome ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
strange janome
sewing machine or serger?
newsewman
newsewman
Advanced Beginner
BC CANADA
Member since 3/4/07
Send Message

Date: 3/12/09 1:31 AM

Has anyone seen one of thease?

------
http://cid-ed78d046c542e086.spaces.live.com/

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to newsewman
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/12/09 2:57 AM

Yes! I have one sitting in the cupboard in my sewing room. Although mine is cream and brown rather than grey but iother than that it's basically the same. This one looks to be a slightly newer version of mine.

It's both a sewing machine and 2-thread overlocker. Janome Combi 10 is it's name. It's two separate machines in one. The sewing machine is on the front. Underneath is this swivel mechanism, like a lazy-susan. You pull a lever, the machine spins around on it's base and voila there is a 2-thread overlocker on the back with cutting blade.

I bought my machine back in 1985. It was new on the market back then. It's a great little machine which I still use as my back-up when my machine goes in for a service.

If you need to know any more let me know.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to newsewman

Date: 3/12/09 3:02 AM

This is what my machine looks like - eBay photos. (Note: this isn't actually MY machine, just one that is identical to the one I own).

------

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to newsewman

Date: 3/12/09 3:20 AM

I had one the same as Belinda's. It's the only sewing machine I've ever sold - I've had a couple stolen and I gave one away - and I've occasionally regretted it. It did a nice 2 thread overlock and I worked it hard in the 6 years I used it.

------
chris

Melbourne

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 3/12/09 3:26 AM

Wow, I remember seeing seeing a Combi many years ago at a swap meet. I never did try one. These sort of just came and went quickly it seems to me. I think stand alone sergers caught on about that time and became popular.

I would love a newer model on a swivel base only with a 4 thread serger on the back. That would be great for apt. living. where not much sewing space is available.

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 3/12/09 4:13 AM

You are right Betakin. They were a bit of a one hit wonder. Here one day and gone the next, because the first domestic overlockers came out at exactly the same time. I know because my mother bought a new sewing machine and domestic overlocker and I got the Combi 10 at the same time. We got a great deal too buying the three machine together.

As you rightly said the Combi 10 was great for apartment living. I was at Uni living in an apt. with a fellow student at the time so space was at a premium. My sewing space was also my small study desk in a corner of my small bedroom. I got the Combi 10 because I didn't have the room for two separate machines but I had been using an industrial serger before this so I really wanted an overlocker.

Back then knits were also pretty new so I didn't do a lot of knit sewing. The 2-thread was perfect for me for finishing seams on woven fabrics.

It would be nice if today they had a 4-thread version as you say. It certainly wouldn't be as well built as this machine though. It's an absolute tank. Very solid and almost entirely metal. Weighs an absolute tonne too, like all good machines use to.

------

RadarRadiance
star
RadarRadiance
Intermediate
NV USA
Member since 10/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 3/12/09 9:50 AM

I have never seen one of these, how cool is it! Amazing the trasitions our machines go through!

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
WI USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to Sew4Fun

Date: 3/12/09 1:24 PM

Quote: Sew4Fun
"Here one day and gone the next, because the first domestic overlockers came out at exactly the same time."

Actually, the Combi came out a few years AFTER Babylock & Juki had started the serger rush in the US. Most dealers really considered them to be more of a bait machine to get someone into the store and then show them how much better they could do with a separate SM & serger. I can't speak for Janome's intent in this regard, but the fact that so many dealers used them this way accounted for quite dismal sales figures, which is why they weren't around very long.

Bill Holman
karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to newsewman

Date: 3/12/09 5:47 PM

In the U.S. it was known as the New Home Combi DX 502. There is a review here at PR:

New Home Combi DX 502

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Bill Holman

Date: 3/12/09 6:16 PM

>>the Combi came out a few years AFTER Babylock & Juki had started the serger rush in the US.

Yes sorry I can't speak for the US because I live in Australia. Interesting though, I didn't realise Juki made domestic machines. I remember the Juki industrials before the Combi 10 came out because I'd been sewing on an industrial for several years by this stage. That's not to say they weren't around of course. The first domestic overlockers looked very industrial to me. The big thing here was an overlocker you could actually thread and could carry home.

I do remember the sales pitch. Like you said I remember the dealer trying to talk me into two separate machines. I'm glad they didn't succeed as my mother hated with a passion her first domestic overlocker, while I loved my machine. I'm glad I waited a few years and got a separate overlocker after they got the kinks ironed out.

Ah, memory lane.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> strange janome

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Simplicity 4275

photo
by: Renren

Review
SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.