SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sew Alongs > Making an X-Kilt for the hubby ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Making an X-Kilt for the hubby
Why buy one when you can make one?
shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

Date: 3/26/09 10:08 AM

About a month ago my DH asked me if I'd be willing to make him a twill kilt for him. He fell in love with the nice wool one that we got a year and a half ago. He doesn't like the one's he see's online.
I asked around the rennie community and they recomended a site called X marks the Scott. One of the men there perfected a "guy friendly" pattern/ directions to make one.
I plan on starting it April 5th. I would like to have it done by May 1st.

Would any of you like to take of the challange of making an x-Kilt or at least and X-Skirt?

------
"Costume Tech's are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated except to those designers, actors, directors, playwrights, and other theater artists who depend on them." - The Costume Technicians Handbook

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to shanntarra

Date: 3/26/09 5:00 PM

What is an x kilt? I know what a Utilikilt is.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to shanntarra

Date: 3/26/09 5:12 PM

looks like the x-kilts have a big presence on the web, but I had not heard of them before either. I know kilts are catching on, even with men here in Utah, and if they can crack this conservative bastion, they'll be in Nordstrom soon!

ETA I think the difference may be in the pleats, knife versus box

www.stanford.edu/~ahebert/X-Kilt_MSword.doc
-- Edited on 3/26/09 5:18 PM --

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 3/27/09 9:26 AM

So this is what I found online -

OK, so what is this thing, the X-Kilt?

* It's made out of plain twill weave material, either solid color or camouflage
* It's not tartan (plaid)
* It has a narrow front apron (much like a "Utilikilt")
* It's box-pleated (not knife-pleated)
* It closes with Velcro
* It's easy to sew
* The materials will cost you about $30
* It will take you about 10-14 hours to sew it upů.meaning one week of evenings after work, or a weekend just going at it.
* You can wear it anywhere you'd wear a casual set of pants

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/09 10:58 AM

From what the rennie community has told me is that they are the "Utila-kilts" you make yourself.

I think it would be a good way to practice your box pleating if anything. My DH wore a kilt for the Race for the cure last year. He was thinking if this worked out I could make him a pink one for the walk this fall.

------
"Costume Tech's are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated except to those designers, actors, directors, playwrights, and other theater artists who depend on them." - The Costume Technicians Handbook

tiedyedrose
star
tiedyedrose
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/15/07
Send Message

In reply to shanntarra

Date: 3/27/09 2:23 PM

Here is a link to the review of one I made a few years ago: Kilt

I plan to make another soon, the oldest of my hubbies is getting pretty worn. I would suggest using a poly/cotton twill instead of 100% cotton, that will make it more wash and wear. I'd be happy to join you in making one, but I won't be able to begin until probably late May as I am currently finishing my MBA degree.

Have fun!

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

Date: 4/24/09 5:52 PM

Ok, so I'd said I would start the kilt on 4/5, but we got one of those unexpected bills and couldn't afford the fabric. Lord willing and the creek don't rise we are buying the fabric this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed. The hubby wants to wear it for casual Fridays here at the office. The higher ups OK'd ethnic dress on causual Fridays, so we will see what happens..........

------

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to shanntarra

Date: 4/24/09 9:02 PM

I won't be making one, but I have enjoyed looking at them for lo, many years now, and I think one of the best reasons to make them yourself is that the commercial ones tend to skimp on the yardage. The truth is that using the whole eight yards makes the darned thing move much more gracefully. A skimpy kilt just looks kind of sad, like an impoverished apron.
-- Edited on 4/24/09 9:03 PM --

LornaJay
star
LornaJay
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 9/30/06
Send Message

Date: 4/25/09 4:09 AM

The only thing I would add is that the length is important too if you want a traditional look - no longer than mid knee and no shorter than the top of the kneecap!

shanntarra
starstar
shanntarra
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 3/19/09
Send Message

Date: 4/28/09 4:02 PM

We got the fabric this weekend. My DH is short and has said he wants an 18" kilt. It comes to the top of his knee. If he wants it he has to help me lay it out. I'm actually surprise the kilt is only 5 yards, but looks good. I'll keep you posted. Our washer died after I finished washing the fabric. Having clean every day clothing is more important than a kilt for the momment.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Making an X-Kilt for the hubby

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Butterick 5796

photo
by: michellep7...

Review

Pattern

McCall's 6519

photo
by: ajhewing

Review
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.