SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > fabric shopping in NYC ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fabric shopping in NYC
jorgel
star
jorgel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/5/08
Send Message

Date: 3/31/09 6:29 PM

I'm going to NYC next week for 2 days. Advice on fabric stores sorely needed...
Thanks in advance.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 3/31/09 6:38 PM

I think you'll find the lindsaytsews.com blog very helpful. She has written reviews of many of the stores, and included lots of pictures. There's also a link to a shopping spreadsheet that you can print out and tuck into your totebag.
-- Edited on 3/31/09 6:58 PM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/31/09 6:51 PM

Karla, I had your spreadsheet with me on my recent trip. Thank you very much for such a useful tool.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to Sherril Miller

Date: 3/31/09 7:01 PM

Thanks, Sherril. Glad it worked for you. And please, everyone, if you find errors, or learn that a store has closed or moved, please let me know so I can keep the sheet current. I evidently sent poor Sondra off in the wrong direction because I had incorrect information on the sheet, and I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 3/31/09 8:41 PM

I agree that Lindsay's list is all you need. She has my favorites and I found a few new ones. Lace Star is unbelievable and they have more than lace. Gorgeous stuff.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer

Date: 3/31/09 8:56 PM

One of the phone numbers has the last number truncated. I can't remember which store it is and I gave the spreadsheet to my GF.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

Natalie D.
star
Natalie D.
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/31/05
Send Message

In reply to jorgel

Date: 4/1/09 0:23 AM

Oh, that is just so cool! Have fun!

------
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jatman
star
Jatman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 6/26/06
Send Message

In reply to jorgel

Date: 4/1/09 7:48 AM

I just got back from there 2 weekends ago. It's the second time I've been - the fabric shopping is awesome! I found LindseyT's list to be really helpful and the spreadsheet she has a link to was great (is that Karla's?). My 2 favorites are Paron Fabrics and Metro Textiles. Metro Textiles has some incredible bargains - beautiful shirting for $4/yd, silk matka for $8/yd and I even bought a spectacular stretch duchess satin for $5/yd. Incredible stuff. He had so much more but I had to stop when I thought my suitcase was going to be full!

Also - if you want to be overwhelmed - go into Mood (the Project Runway fabric source). They had some incredible stuff but there were so many choices it was overwhelming. And if you're making any special occasion wear you should go to Lace Star - just keep in mind that nothing is cheap at most of the places but you'll have a ton of choices in any of them.

If you're shopping with a non-sewing person they can park themselves at a restaurant/bar called The Houndstooth - right across the street from Metro Textiles!

Enjoy!
JT

Vie
Vie
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/07
Send Message

Date: 4/1/09 8:08 AM

One thing no one mentioned. If you are going to some of the smaller outlets in the garment district -- take cash not a card or check. You get better prices when they can fudge it on their sales taxes!! A lot of those shops will bargain with you a little or offer special prices -- just for you because they can tell you are "special." And a lot of those guys are not Christians so weekends are not the best time to go -- many shops are closed.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Vie

Date: 4/1/09 8:26 AM

Some places close because of religion, but some do just because they are not strictly retail, and commercial places tend to be closed on Saturday and Sunday.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> fabric shopping in NYC

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Simplicity 5946

photo
by: Modiste Ma...

Review
Manequim Magazine 12-2012-536

photo
by: Sewingelle

Review
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.