SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Who makes this sewing machine? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Who makes this sewing machine?
Made in japan
MontanaMan
MontanaMan
Intermediate
Member since 4/1/09
Send Message

Date: 4/1/09 9:22 PM

Does anybody know who makes this sewing machine? The tag says:
"The White House."

Lower tag says:
"De Luxe
Zig Zag
Model 1620
Made in Japan"

A sewing shop owner said he thought it was a Brother, because the motor belt pully was wider than usual.

I've included some photos also. Any information you could provide about this machine -- especially the manufacturer and where I can get the owner and service manuals -- would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

-- Edited on 4/1/09 9:23 PM --

mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 4/1/09 10:00 PM

Look on the bottom of the machine casting - there should be a J and a number following it. Let us know what the number is and we might be able to help you find out the manufacturer. You may get really lucky and find a manufacturers name in the casting. I have a Wizard that has Brother stamped in the casting.

There is a Yahoo group for Vintage Japan sewing machines. They have lists of manufacturers and generic manuals available for download.
Enjoy your machine. It is a beauty!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to MontanaMan

Date: 4/1/09 10:59 PM

Who cares..THAT is a real keeper..never seen one like it.. I would like to know the history of this one..

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to MontanaMan

Date: 4/2/09 3:24 AM

Maybe check on line with ISMACS . Another site with good info is Relics.
Being this machine has the plate on it stating "The White House" makes me wonder if it was made for or by White or to imitate a White. I think it was the less expensive Japanese machines that might have caused the closing down of White Sewing machines and not sure that White made any machines in Japan. I have never seen a machine with that White house plate ..it is interesting. If you find out more about the machine, I hope you will get back with us and tell about it.
-- Edited on 4/2/09 3:44 AM --

glenj

glenj
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/08
Send Message

In reply to MontanaMan

Date: 4/2/09 4:19 AM

I pretty much just bought the identical machine only it's bright metallic bluefor my mum for only $5au.Hers has a plate that says H.G Rowles(or something like that)Stamped underneath was the number J-15.

Any way you got a great machine.hope you find the info your after.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 4/2/09 8:19 AM

The only sewing machines that the White sewing machine factory actually "made" were made in the USA. White never produced a zz capable machine of their own.

In the 1950's, White began outsourcing production. First to Griztner Kaiser in Germany and then to generic factories in Japan. MANY "White" badged machines were made in Japan.

The particular machine posted at the top of this thread is a typical badged, zz, Japanese made machine. IMHO, the exact factory in which it was produced isn't really all that significant.

You probably won't find a manual that states "White House Sewing Machine" on the cover. I have a generic zz manual that should do the trick. Just contact me (through my blog/website) with your email address and request it (N/C). It is in a 2 part PDF and I believe that I got it originally from Bill Holman.

buddysally
buddysally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 11/28/06
Send Message

In reply to MontanaMan

Date: 4/2/09 8:39 AM

Since it says -White House- rather than -White-, I wonder if maybe it was a private label machine made for the famous upscale San Francisco department store called the White House. (I believe the White House Deprtment Store went out of business in the late sixties or early seventies). There was also an upscale Department Store of the same name in El Paso Texas.

--Eric in San Antonio.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

In reply to buddysally

Date: 4/2/09 10:18 AM

Quote: buddysally
Since it says -White House- rather than -White-, I wonder if maybe it was a private label machine made for the famous upscale San Francisco department store called the White House. (I believe the White House Deprtment Store went out of business in the late sixties or early seventies). There was also an upscale Department Store of the same name in El Paso Texas.

--Eric in San Antonio.

I was also thinking that this may be a sewing machine sold by a department store.

I have a Royal sewing machine that was a department store brand sold in the 40's and it is a well made machine.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to buddysally

Date: 4/2/09 2:39 PM

Hey , I think we also had a dept. store here many years ago called the White House. That was back in the days when main dept. stores were downtown and not in urban sprawl and many different malls. I think they also carried sewing machines.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/2/09 3:42 PM

The label or name plate on the various "badged" Japaneese machines basically has everything to do with who was selling or distributing it and very little to do with the name of the factory or mfg that made it.

I have a blog entry that explains this in more detail for the straight stitch version of these machines.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Who makes this sewing machine?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.